The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Let's hear about GOOD relationships!

Off Topic Days have so many threads about bad relationships and break ups. I just went through a sad ending to a negative relationship myself.

In order to have hope for a possible future partnership I'd like to hear stories of good relationships. Where did you meet, how did you figure out this person was "the one", what do you think you did along the way to strengthen the relationship, and what is your life together like?

Thank you and Happy New Year!

5 members found this post helpful.

My parents, whom I'm so proud of! They've been together for 57 years. For the first 45 they fought like badgers in a bag half the time, but they stuck it out, finished raising us kids, proceeded to help raise their grandchildren, dogs, chickens, and gardens.

2 years ago Dad held Mom's hand through breast cancer, beside her every single step of the way. He never let her get down, never let her get away with not eating, never for a minute doubted she'd be fine.

She's doing terrific now and the two of them are closer than ever; inseparable doing the chores, the shopping, debating politics and news, and they're still 100% independent and active.

When you're going through hell, KEEP GOING!

2 members found this post helpful.

Mr. PoPo is fabulous. He cleaned the house for me yesterday (he even scrubs the toilets) so that I could cook dinner for a last-minute get-together with friends.

He is constantly telling me how wonderful he thinks I am, how special, how fabulous, etc. Not sure why, but I'll take it!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

i am very blessed to have a husband who loves me as much as he does.
    because of the age difference and our wildly different cultures it's been a lively, lovely marriage.
    this is the second marriage for both of us, and we try hard to be better partners to each other than we were capable of being with our former spouses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Mr. Emryss has been a blessing in my life. I've been married to him for nearly 16 years - he's a wonderful father and provider, and he has the kindest heart.

I'll keep him.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

My wife and I notch 40 years in March. The secret? There is no secret!!!

It's more about living together like adults than anything else. Treat your spouse as you wish to be treated and things generally work out (even in disputes).

Put another way, banish your "inner child" to some land far away and visit them only occationally.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

20 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Mr. CC aren't married (yet), but we've been together 11 years now--we met at work, where we are both teachers in the same small school. My mama gave me good advice: find someone as smart as you, never expect them to "change", look at their parents to see what you are getting. I love him, he is supportive, helpful, kind, likes cats and lets me do my horse thing with virtually no interference (as long as I pay for them with my own $$). Separate bank accounts, shared interests but our own hobbies, a partnership attitude and a deep, lasting friendship have carried us past the "lusty period" that most relationships begin with...but seldom lasts. Does he have some issues I hate? Well, yes, and vice versa. But, we talk, we agree to disagree and we don't play games with each other.

I get to eat lunch with him every day, too, just like my mom and dad did--dad came home from the office most days to eat with her. As a child, that seemed so special because no other dads did it. It is a wonderful way to connect during a busy work day. Relationships are like gardens--you need some shit to make things grow well!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

6 members found this post helpful.

31 years together. My advice, start with a good man and he will become a great husband. Mr. SLW is afraid of horses but he completely supports my passion, even if it means that from time to time I need him to help move the horses around here at home.

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm marrying my SO this year. We've been together for five years - not long, by most standards, but we're still going strong.

We met in a class - History of Sports. We became friends, but we didn't start dating until about five months after we met. I definitely didn't know he was "the one" then, but I think my friends might have.

Anyway, we've been together ever since. I've lived abroad without him, in that time, and it didn't phase us a bit. We don't have jealousy issues, despite the fact that I have several male friends, one of whom might as well be my brother. We trust each other.

We also pursue our own goals. I'm getting ready to move out of state without him, while he finishes his Master's degree. We'll be apart for about a year. It'll suck, but we're both young and we both have things we want to do. We understand that that means that sometimes we won't get to be together physically.

We have no drama, and while of course we fight occasionally, we're on pretty solid ground.

It can be done!
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

SNL.. we seriously are one and the same. I'm getting freaked out. Let's be frieeeends!

I'm also marrying my SO this year. We've been together for a little over 6 years now. We met in a chemistry class () and started dating pretty much right after meeting.

I currently live 1,200 miles away from him while we finish getting our degrees. We talk on the phone each night and Skype occasionally. We trust each other and we're really open about communication if something is bothering one of us and the other isn't getting it.

We fight sometimes and it can get pretty heated, but we get through it. We love each other and we're willing to work to keep our relationship alive and happy.

And, as an aside, he stayed home from a family vacation to take care of me after I had surgery; I don't handle anesthesia well and it takes me a few days before I'm a normal person again and I'm pretty miserable in the meantime. I don't know how many Big Bang Theory fans are on here, but ... he sang me "Soft Kitty" when I was feeling pretty crappy from my painkillers and was trying to go to sleep. He's a pretty amazing person.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    SNL.. we seriously are one and the same. I'm getting freaked out. Let's be frieeeends!
    It is getting a little scary. Have you seen Stepbrothers? "'Did we just become best friends?'

'Yup!'

'Want to go do karate in the garage?'

'Yup!'"

I don't know how many Big Bang Theory fans are on here, but ... he sang me "Soft Kitty" when I was feeling pretty crappy from my painkillers and was trying to go to sleep. He's a pretty amazing person.
    And I also make my SO sing me "Soft Kitty" when I'm not feeling well. I feel this is totally normal.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

3 members found this post helpful.

How about a good relationship of a different sort? I keep hearing on OT day about how many people are having difficulty with their kids, and my DD and I have a really GOOD relationship. We can talk, and do, about pretty much anything. We sometimes fight, but if we do, it blows over quickly. We have HAD issues, and have gone to counseling, and it really helped. We both worked hard at improving our communication.

She's a great kid, and I'm proud to be her mom. I think I'm an ok mom, too.

5 members found this post helpful.

I have the best husband.... he is smart, HOT, make me laugh, and very hard working. AND he can fix anything and buys horse treats!

3 members found this post helpful.

My fantastic SO and I have only been together for a little over two years but I feel very strongly he's "the one." We met at our campus ministry and I have zero recollection of our first meeting. About six months later he made the mistake of taking me up on an offer to help wear out a lab puppy I was puppy sitting and the rest is history. We both talk incessantly and are social butterflies. Our relationship was founded on lots of introspective conversations and hosting parties. Knowing each other on an individual basis and in a group situation positively shaped out relationship.

We've had a few bumpy times while we figure out our dynamics. His previous girlfriends made the relationship the center of their world and had minimal hobbies. Between grad school, horses, traveling regionally for dog shows, ministry work, family, and mentoring, I'm really good at filling my time. He's learned to appreciate my varied interests and I've learned to balance my passions so that he knows and feels like he is a priority in my life.

About two months into our relationship I had a dream of the two of us about ten years down the line in the living room of a house with our baby. I woke up and was filled with such peace about the prospect of having a family with him. I don't really want children but I want a future with him.

We have a year of school left followed by 3+ years of my SO being in PT school. I am not looking forward to the prospect of spending 3 years apart but I doubt I can find a job using my degree where he's going. I feel pretty confident we'll come out the other end just fine but it's going to be a long three years.

Mr. Jackandmo and I just celebrated 11 years of marriage. We are best friends. He supports the horse passion unconditionally and usually without question. I think hard times is what has kept us together; it's not easy being married to the military with five children. He makes me laugh, challenges me, and tolerates my attitude!! I love him, and I'm so fortunate to be loved by him. He's also cute!!

Mr Bopper and I will have our 20th anniversary in May. I think a big part of success in a relationship is respect.

He may not completely relate to my horsey passion but he 'gets' it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyPi-...ba8dmJpGSOaoFg

what can I say - I have a good one...................
    so I will just post the spoof DVD of him I found in the drawer a few weeks ago, shot in 2007

DH and I have been married for 15 years and together for 17. (I sometimes feel waaay too young to be saying that). We've had some rough times and times I thought we wouldn't make it, but we've been willing to take a step back and remember that we love each other and work through issues.

I'm positive that I'm not the easiest person to live with, and I know I was a brat when we were first married. I regret that always, but I cannot change those days. I can only move forward as a less bratty person.

We have very different interests. I want to live on a bazillion acres and have horses. He wants to live in a tiny apartment and spend most of his time playing guitar. We can't afford to do either. But I do my best to make sure he gets as much music time as he can (he does have a day job), and he built me a fantastic barn and supports my horse habit.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

21 years and counting w/Mr. CH! There have been ups and downs; that's just life. I agree with the poster who said there is no "secret" to a longstanding relationship. We just act like rational, civilized people most of the time and when we do something hurtful, we own up and apologize.

Mostly, things are really, really good.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

My hubs and I met for the first time on Dec. 31, 1999. We met online the week of Thanksgiving, 5 weeks before meeting. We lived 8 hours away from one another for the next year, then he moved to be closer to me. We both moved from Ohio to SC in 2003 and were married in 2005.

We have a lot of fun together. In fact, we just played a round of golf together this afternoon & had a blast...just the 2 of us. We also have our 'things' that we do as individuals, and we support one another in our respective passions.

He helps around the house (he vacuums far more than I ever have!), does his own laundry, does dishes, etc. He appreciates me and is always telling me how beautiful I am (even when I'm feeling gross about myself.)

We've had our hiccups, but he's a talker and is willing to discuss & hash out our problems. After 12 years together, I can't imagine his not being a part of my life.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/