The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Custom boot preferences?

<center> <b> I'm in need of a new pair of boots... And I'm considering custom. I have a very long, slim calf that is very hard to fit 'like a glove' from a stock boots.

I currently have Ariat tall boots. They were about $600. They've worn a lot over the two years I've had them.

Ones I've looked at are Der Daus, Konigs, Dehner, Vogel and Parlanti. I was wondering what everyone's preferences on these are? I've also considered looking into stock Monacos.

I show hunters on the A circuit, and would be riding in these boots regularily.

Definitely look into Tuccis as well! I have had those, Parlantis, and Monacos and the Tuccis are my favorite. They were around 1300/1400 I believe, while my Parlantis were nearly 1800. I didn't like the Parlanti leather, after four months of everyday riding they were falling apart.

I have a pair of Der Daus that I love. They were custom made for somebody else, but that person never picked them up so I ended up buying them. I bought them at a horse show (brand new), and showed in them the next day. They required zero break in, are really comfortable, and seem to be very durable. I have had them for a year - I only wear them to show, but when I show in them I leave them on all day, and the soles and leather are still in good shape. Also, I am pretty rough on my equipment - I have a real knack for breaking tall boot zippers, so the fact that these zippers are still hanging in there is pretty impressive.

I have La Mundials and I love, love, love them. They broke in super quickly, the leather is beautiful, and I've had a very good experience with them. They are $600 for full customs.

I love my Vogels! I got a double sole for added durability and comfort.

I do recommend going someplace where you can go to the shop yourself, if possible. I find they may modify them in the first fitting to perfect the fit.

My custom Vogels are the first pair of boots I've had that fit. No rubbing on my ankles like my off the rack Ariats.

The Monaco's leather is too soft, IMHO, for regular riding.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!