The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeding and Chores for Room?

I've heard of situations where a barn has an apartment attached to the barn or in the loft or something.. that is rented out. In exchange for feeding/watering mornings and evenings daily as well as doing chores on the weekends the rent for the apartment is free

Does anyone know of any barns that have similar or are willing to work out a similar situation in the Ann Arbor (University of Michigan) or Lansing (Michigan State University) area.

If not, I'm essentially looking for a good way to keep my horse nearby during college so I can continue my dressage career and not go crazy because of lack of contact with my horse. Not to mention trying to reduce the cost of bringing a horse to college! Are there any suggestion you have for doing this?

I live near AA, and I haven't heard of anything like that. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I would check Craigslist, etc. My guess would be a private barn if you could find one. I know a lot of people have trouble just FINDING board near UM/MSU. Good luck!! Feel free to PM me is you want additional info on the areas (trainers, vets, etc), I know both fairly well.