The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cross posting

The barn where I board and have my teaching/training business has been a family run business for over 50 years. The owners, having never boarded anywhere else themselves, are unaware of the complexities of the term "barn manager." They simply hired a friend who boarded with them for 15 years who had no other experience either. This person is only on property a couple of hours in the morning and the same in the afternoon, usually leaving before all the horses are brought in. She does not know how to handle an injury, pull a loose shoe, or administer basic injections like banamine.

The boarders have decided that since they raised the board to a price where, in our area, you would have a qualified on site manager, that we needed to address this with them before we pay this increase.

If you were looking to fill a "barn manager" position, what would be the job description and what would be the qualification of a person you would hire?

Thanks, we plan to present answers to the owners!

Do the owners work off the property? Do they have staff who do the daily chores already?
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

How much do you plan the owner to pay for the barn manager salary?
    Will this be a few hours AM/PM or a full day position?

They've been in business for 50 yrs and have a friend that comes for free a few hours AM and PM. Does the BO thinks her friend is as clueless as you think?

I wish you good luck trying to convince the BO to pay for the "same" service he is providing right now.

I pay a pretty penny for board, but the barn manager is part time. If anything were to happen, she is not qualified to give IM shots. She would be there if someone called her, and she would call the vet or the farrier, but not pull a loose shoe. And I am okay with that as is everyone else. I should add that there is a vet there at least once a week, and a farrier there every day, even Sundays.

Is this an absentee owner situation? Could the board increase have more to do with feed prices or some upgrade in the facility?
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

The owner is in her 90's and only lives on property during the summer. She really doesn't have much to do with the business other than owning it and being the final decision maker when it comes to expenditures. Her children live near by, but her son doesn't want anything to do with the barn or the drama it can bring.

The friend who is the barn manager is in her sixties, is paid quite well as the rumor has it.

I repeat, I am simply wanting a definition of what a barn manager's duties would be, hours on the farm, and experience level.

This person is afraid to handle the horses. They hire out the stall cleaning and have a full time guy to turn out and bring in, water, hay, clean paddocks, do maintenance, and water and drag the arena "when he has time." The BM simply comes in to feed, assigns stalls to new boarders (8 of whom have left in the last 2 weeks), and accounts for board checks.

So, just tell me what YOUR barn manger is responsible for. The owners are not part of the picture.

I meant absentee horse owners, like a retirement farm where the horse is supposed to be looked after because the owner lives far away. Our BM supervises the stall maintenance, assigns stalls, and orders feed and shavings. She does not get paid to wait for the vet with a sick horse until the owner shows up, but she will. There is a certain clientele there who pay for full care, but that has nothing to do with the BM.

Personally, I would not board my horse anywhere where there is no one on the premises who can recognize the signs of colic and walk your horse for you until you or the vet can get there. Bottom line.
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by runnyjump View Post
    The friend who is the barn manager is in her sixties, is paid quite well as the rumor has it.
    The owners are not part of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    I meant absentee horse owners, like a retirement farm where the horse is supposed to be looked after because the owner lives far away.
    Some are, but most are low level dressage and event riders with some trail, pleasure riders, and a western pleasure rider thrown in.

This BM actually left the barn with a horse in serious condition with a (as of that time undiagnosed) lymphangitis who hadn't been able to walk out of it's stall for 2 days. She left a message for the owner and walked out. Two other boarders were calling the vet, the share-boarder, and waiting with the horse until someone got there.

Thanks for your definition. That's what I wanted.