The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Food processors

No, not the manufacturers of chicken nuggets, the slice, chop, mince kind!
    I want one with 7 cup minimum capacity and boatloads of features. I know Cuisinart is the flagship brand but in research I found a bunch of copy cats. What do you have, and what would you recommend?
    Model numbers are appreciated ;-)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I have a kitchen aid that I picked up at Target last year. It does not have any bells and whistles, though it does have a second blade thing I can attach for slicing.

I enjoy having it and do use it...a lot

Would I buy it again? No. It was 100.00 and I would have rather splashed out and picked up the Cuisinart for a bit more money. But it was my first food processor purchase and I was not sure how much I would use it.

I have a more basic 9 cup kitchenaid that has a smaller bowl and blade that fits insie the larger container. There is a grater and slicing blade, but I can't control thick the slices are using settings.

The more basic model works for me since I have a bread maker and a kitchenaid standmixer (artisan model) to do other things.

I reccommend this cookbook for food processors though. The New Food Processor Bible. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1770...ls_o01_s01_i00

I got this model as a Christmas present....7 cup, comes with two disks, one a grater and the other is an adjstable thickness slicer. Used it last night for the first time. VERY quiet!

http://www.kitchenaid.ca/flash.cmd?/...uct/KFP0711OB/

I have the Cuisinart Elite. You will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

It was costly, but so incredibly worth it.

Spend the dollars on the real thing. You won't regret it!

1 members found this post helpful.

I just got a Cuisinart for Christmas. I love it. I use a food processor a lot and used my last, much cheaper model until it fell apart. My dad got this one for me and got a great deal by looking around.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I've had the same Cuisinart for 20 years. And I love it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I have a hand-me-down Cuisinart that was my grandmother's and I'm never giving it up! That said, my mom prefers her KitchenAid brand. She does a lot of soups and liquids in it and finds that it leaks much less than her old Cuisinart, which she never liked (and which was newer than mine).
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I do a TON a soups in mine--no leaks. Ever. Not sure what the gasket is like on the others, but it is VERY solid on the Elite lineup.

I just got a KitchenAid 12 cup for Christmas. It has a ton of extras,haven't used it yet been to busy but can't wait too.

DH got it for me, it is the one I wanted only thing is the color, I had hoped to get one that went with my blender but I can live with it. He paid 55% of retail which is a steal.

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...15652674_n.jpg
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?

We have the Cuisinart Prep 9 and I use it all the time. The only appliances we use more are the coffee maker and the toaster.

I love to bake and it has made it so much easier. If we get a cookie craving they are in and out of the oven within 20 minutes. My pie crust has improved 100%.

We got it at Macy's and IIRC it did not break the bank.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I love my Cuisinart 14 cup. I bought it at Bloomimgdales at a really good sale price, about 5 years ago. Really check prices on Cuisinarts. Prices are all over the place and there is no reason to not get a good discount.

What do you do with them? I have a Cuisinart I received as a wedding gift 7 years ago but I have never used it. Seems like a lot of parts to wash...every time I think I might I decide I would rather just wash my knife...what am I missing?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    What do you do with them? I have a Cuisinart I received as a wedding gift 7 years ago but I have never used it. Seems like a lot of parts to wash...every time I think I might I decide I would rather just wash my knife...what am I missing?
    I thought the SAME thing for years. We got a food processor as a wedding gift, and anytime I looked at it, I thought, "Oh man, that's too much stuff to wash!" and didn't use it.

I garden A LOT now. And when stuff is ripe in the garden, it needs to be used - and a lot of my stuff gets turned into soups, various casseroles that freeze, and spaghetti sauce and salsa that I can can. So there's a lot of chopping, slicing and shredding. And I may spend 4-6 hours at a time cooking to put stuff away (we eat on garden stuff year round, though). The food processor made the chopping, slicing, and shredding SO much easier and faster.

So I used that original, cheaper food processor so much in the last five years that I killed it. Hoping the new one lasts a lot longer.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

It sounds like a cuisinart is the way to go
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I use the slicer to slice apples for pie, or to slice potatoes or turnips or carrots...you name it.

I use the grater to grate apples for apple bread, grate cheese, anything.

Christmas Eve I made scones. Butter, flour, lemon zest, etc. pulse a few times, scrape into bowl and add dried blueberries. Use an ice cream scoop to form them and put on baking sheet and into the fridge. Christmas morning we had warm, fresh lemon blueberry scones that took all of ten minutes.

One of the things that happens is that you realize the things you can now make more easily, so you change your diet that way.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks, cowgirljenn and Bristol Bay. I might have to test it soon. I feel bad letting an expensive toy sit there and I do cook a lot.

The Cuisinart IS beautiful, OP! Sleek and shiny.

Kitchen Aide.

I use mine ALOT. I also have a mini one too. Just for quick mini chops of stuff I don't want to drag out the big one to use.

I just got a Cuisinart 11-cup for Christmas. Sadly, its not out of the box yet.

My SO almost spoiled the surprise when I had to use my really, really small one to chop some herbs for spaghetti sauce. He said he felt bad that I had to use that small thing the day before I got my new one. No hard feelings though, just happy to have my new one.

Another Cuisinart fan. Mine is 21 years old and still going strong.

I am tempted, tho, to get a newer model since they eliminated the leaking issue when doing liquids in it.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."