The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PC Problems

Hoping some of you savvy PC types can help me out

A few months ago, the cat walked across my laptop and deleted the Java program. I figured that out when I went to access my email and got the message I had to have Javascript installed to use it. Also, I could not download anything from the Internet and when I went to various sites (Q-bids) instead of showing me pictures all I got were little boxes with 'downloading' displays.

Anyway, I reinstalled Javascript and now I keep getting the message pop up 'Install Adobe Flash Player'. First time, I clicked 'yes' because I thought the reinstall of Java possibly screwed up Adobe. (by the way, I do not have the Adobe suite, just the free reader and flashplayer). That apparently did not work because, depending on the site I visit, CoTH especially, the message box pops up, twice in a row, constantly.

I always select 'no', but at times, because I click here and there quite quickly, the machine gets hosed, and also, I'm sick of getting this message.

I am running IE 8/Windows XP on an old Dell laptop. Please don't tell me to use a different operating system, as, for reasons of my own (being a mainframe computer dinosaur), I am sticking with this set-up. Hopefully that did not upset you so much you refuse to help.

So, any suggestions? Thanks for any help offered.

Adobe is just like that, in all computers, even my Mac.

Just keep clicking "later" and it will go away for a while.

How about using a different browser, like Chrome or Firefox. They're both a bit safer, security wise, and much faster than IE.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

She may just have disabled an add-on. Go to your internet options/manage add-ons/ and check that Flash and Java are enabled.

or

Go to control panel /add and remove programs/ and remove ALL versions of Java and Flash Player. THEN re-install the newest versions of both for XP.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I'm telling you, those cats are out to destroy civilization as we know it!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Cats are sneaky little bastards.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Thanks for the replies. flash version 9.0.124.0 is enabled, but I think the one it's trying to install is 11 point something? I'll have to see what the next message say. (which I'm sure will pop up in a few minutes).

also Java Plug In SSU helper and
    Plug In2 helper are both enabled, along with Java Console.

Once, Junie (the cat) stepped on a variety of keys which rotated the display so I had to hold the monitor sideways (like a very large book) in order to view it. Then I had to get into the Dell documentation to figure out how to get it back normally (the horrors!!!!!).

I am very frightened to remove Java and Adobe, what if I can't get them back, I actually use the laptop to work and make money. Maybe I'll finish the bottle of wine from yesterday and try the removal. Need liquid courage for that type of operation.

My cat decided to sleep on my laptop keyboard while I was at the fridge. I then couldn't scroll using my arrow keys. Took me a little while to figure out the F7 button was my friend.

Just uninstall the adobe/java stuff and re-download it. You should be fine.