The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddles with straight flap and narrow twist

I've been trying lots of different saddles recently and had a breakthrough when it clicked that I prefer a VERY straight flap. Also prefer a narrower twist. I've found a saddle I really like (Patrick) but I'm not quite sure it's "the one" so I'm still exploring more options. What brands/models of saddles would you recommend looking at for a very straight flap and narrow twist? Open to looking at all prices, custom/semi-custom, etc.

It's not 'in', but I love my ancient Stubben Aramis. It's very straight, minimalist saddle. I feel like the twist is quite narrow. I got it for about $300 on eBay. It is brown, as are most of the older Stubbens, but the same models can be custom ordered now in black if that's your preference.

I like the same thing, two saddles that work for me are the Trilogy Debbie McDonald (they call it a med twist but rides quite narrow I think and very straight flap), and the Icon Flight or Icon Star, love both.

Have you looked at a Passier? I am by no means a saddle expert but I've been saddle shopping recently and I also prefer a narrow twist - but found straighter flaps bothered me. I tried a used Passier Grand Gilbert and a newer model called the Optimum. Ultimately not for me, but nice saddles for someone looking for a very straight frame.

The narrowest saddle I ever sat on was a Delgrange dressage saddle.
    You can have the flaps adjusted as straight as you need/want.
    The seat is deep and the knee pads aren't too big.

I would put Theo Sommer E. Von Niendorf and SL2000? very much into the straight flap, narrow twist, minimalist group. Some are monoflap as well.
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Default Passier PSL E

The Passier PSL E is very straight with a narrow twist. This is exactly why I bought one many years ago. Most comfortable saddle I have ever used - and it has fit a wide variety of horses!

I just got a Trilogy Verago and LOVE it! Narrow twist, deep seat, and it puts my long legs in just the right spot. My riding has improved greatly. The rep in our area is ver knowledgable and my horse if very comfortable in it. Worth a look if you have an opportunity to try one.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Ironically I've ridden in a Trilogy Verago before, but that was on a different horse and while I liked it I never really put two and two together at the time that the straight flap and narrow twist were what I liked about it. And of course I have since sold that saddle! Wish I could take that back!

Two that I really like are the Schleese ConneXion, and a Max Hopfner.

No two Hennigs are the same so you could look for the older models to see if any fit the bill. I also need a narrow twist and have found several that were narrow. They didn't work for me for other reasons but the twist was narrow.

Von Neindorffs work best if you have very long legs. Look for an older used passier (cheaper and fits your bill).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Adam Ellis...the best!