The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Top of the Rock has stunning views of the ESB and shorter lines.
    LOL, it's still not the Empire State Building, where King Kong crawled around, Cary Grant met his love in 'An Affair to remember' or Tom Hanks meets Meg Ryan...screw the lines, you just HAVE to have been there.
    besides, it's awesome early 20th century architecture and a small history lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My preference is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I'm not much for art, but they have artifacts and host temporary exhibits that interest me. I usually go there, go to Times Square, sometimes go to the public library, down the street from the museum and just find some place to eat. Walk around Central Park, etc.

I have already crossed the ESB off my list. I plan on going up to NYC again in the future, and this is going to be a 24 hour trip this first time. I don't want to do anything that is going to eat up hoards of time. We already have our 8pm tickets for War Horse Saturday evening, so we're building our schedule around that event. We should arrive to the city by 11am on Saturday, and we're leaving for home 11am on Sunday. I was thinking of doing Rockefeller center anyway this trip, so the Top of the Rock sounds quite doable. Our hotel is in Times Square.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Top of the Rock has stunning views of the ESB and shorter lines.
    If you buy the EXPRESS tickets, you bypass the lines at the ESB. SO worth it.

I highly, highly recommend The Tenement Museum in the Lower East Side. It is absolutely fascinating. You should plan on getting tickets ahead of time because space is very limited on the tours.

http://www.tenement.org/
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenAcres View Post
    The Circle Line boat ride is great because you see everything and get a history lesson, but I'm not sure it operates in the winter. The Hudson used to freeze, but maybe now they keep going? All are great suggestions. You will love it!
    It runs all year. My friend just did it last week with her kids.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

OH, 1 more question...just exactly how fancy do we need to dress for the 8pm showing of War Horse Saturday evening? Would a nice jacket/skirt combo suffice?
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    OH, 1 more question...just exactly how fancy do we need to dress for the 8pm showing of War Horse Saturday evening? Would a nice jacket/skirt combo suffice?
    As long as it is a nice skirt and jacket. Some people do not dress nicely for theater performances which is a huge peeve of mine. An evening performance on the weekend generally has a better appointed audience than a matinee in the middle of the week.

You'll be better dressed than most of them. I detest this horrible trend of wearing jeans and sneakers to the theatre. Really, if you're paying $100 a ticket, at least look presentable!

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I highly, highly recommend The Tenement Museum in the Lower East Side. It is absolutely fascinating. You should plan on getting tickets ahead of time because space is very limited on the tours.

http://www.tenement.org/
    I agree -- it's well worth a visit. I am originally a New Yorker. When I go back to the city I enjoy walking through Central Park, I visit some of the 'lesser' museums (International Center of Photography, Morgan Library, etc.) and like to stop in at Le Pain Quotidien for coffee (there's one by Lincoln Center).

A visit to the Intrepid Museum is fun and you can also walk along the Hudson River now on the boardwalk/park.

The Highline is amazing and really unique. Well worth a visit!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    You'll be better dressed than most of them. I detest this horrible trend of wearing jeans and sneakers to the theatre. Really, if you're paying $100 a ticket, at least look presentable!
    So true! I saw War Horse at Lincoln Center and was amazed and appalled by how poorly the audience was dressed. It didn't used to be like that.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Frick and The Guggenheim. If the weather is good ride the Red Double Deckers.

Have a wonderful time and keep your eye out for the Cash Cab!

If you're at Rockefeller Center, which is fun, you're not far from St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is very impressive. War Horse is a great show. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    If you're at Rockefeller Center, which is fun, you're not far from St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is very impressive. War Horse is a great show. Have fun!
    That is a great suggestion that doesn't take too long to visit.