The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First trip to NYC - suggestions?

With my birthday coming up next week, a few of my girlfriends and I are heading up to see War Horse before it closes. Even though I live within a few short hours of NYC, I've never been there! It's a little overwhelming for a country gal, so I've just never attempted it before. We're taking the train into the city, and spending the evening in Times Square, departing for home the next morning.
    Since I anticipate this will be the first of several trips to the city, what are some suggested things to do? We're not into shopping, so more of the sight-seeing, but less touristy suggestions would be super.
    Cindy

I've been just a handful of times. I love Central Park and the performers.

My advice would be to go without a set schedule. Both times I went, we made schedules and it just ended up being rushed, then everybody got grumpy. You can't simply see it all in a day or two! Maybe make a list of two or three things that you really want to see, and then map our your day, but leave time frames loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Visit the carriage horses at central park near the Plaza. The poster MichaelFlynn ?? runs that group. Bring carrots for them AND any mounted police you come upon.
    Take the east side ferry at 33rd street(check to see if it's running) for a trip to Brooklyn and then down to wall street.
    Warning: wall street and the entire financial area is open to the winds on three sides, it is very cold and will take your breath away. Bring scarves you can cover your mouth and nose with, and bring those heat packets that you open and they stay warm for hours.
    In the financial district there are street vendors that sell those cute animal hat with built in scarves, and if you get the right day, vendors at the bowling green station sell purses, dress scarves etc.
    The tourist buses that let you hop off/on at different places seem very popular.

2 members found this post helpful.

Ice skating at Rockefeller Center or Bryant Park?
    I enjoy the store windows on 5th Avenue this time of year. And that's a nice walk up to Central Park.
    Saks has a really nice cafe if you want to sit down and be served a nice lunch. You don't have to buy anything to enjoy that!
    Rockefeller Center, Saks, then Central Park South are right in the same general vicinity.
    It's a nice time of year to visit us. And, yes, do be prepared for COLD. And anything to the South will be extra WINDY. Wind chills could be 20-30f.
    There's a lot of great food in the city. Zagats can guide you through that so you don't end up eating at a crummy touristy place where the food sucks!
    NYC is fab!! Enjoy!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

P.s. NYC really is safe, but there are pickpockets around, especially in big touristy spots like Times Square. Wallets are best in an interior pocket in your jacket or pants, kept on you. Keep some cash in another pocket if you want easy access. This is pretty much good practice in any major city.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Go and get a hot chocolate at The Chocolate Bar (http://www.chocolatebarnyc.com/blog1/) best hot chocolate outside of Europe.

I have been to the City many times and we have posters that live in the City so I am sure they can help guide you, but honestly I am fan of just walking up and down streets, window shopping. Some great areas are SoHo, Greenwich Village, up and down 5th. Buy a hot dog from a street vendor on 5th or a falefal. Or get a Grey's Papaya hot dog.

I try to steer clear of touristy sites because that is just me.

Here are some tips when traveling in the City or any city for that matter

1. dont look up, tourists look up your labeling yourself as a easy target

2. pick up the pace. NYers walk very briskly you will blend in better then

3. eat where the locals eat (see zagat ratings like above poster stated)

4. have some cash on you. Even though taxis take credit cards now its easier to hand over some cash and tell him to keep the change then fight with the machine and figure out how to tip the driver.

NYC is great for people watching. My favorite thing to do is go to an central park or sit on the steps of the Met or the library and watch people and the world go by. Of course it will be way to cold for you to do that now.

Have FUN!

Oh, yeah cash. We still don't have phone service restored so many of the food stores can't take CC's in the financial area.

I love the Met, The Natural History Museum, and the Public Library. A walk through Grand Central is also a must. Broadway shows are always a good time, and you can find some inexpensive tickets. Central Park is always great people watching, and I always take my out of town friends on a carriage ride. If you are going to be near Times Square for the evening, I would suggest Carmine's for dinner. It is family style Italian, decent quality, and not outrageous expensive.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Empire State building is really very cool, but if you go, be SURE to get the "express" tickets. They cost a bit more, but you will save HOURS of waiting in line.

There's a hotel right next to ground zero that has a restaurant that overlooks the building site. It's called the World Center Hotel at 140 Washington. You can go have a drink and a bite and look out over the building site--was very neat last year, although it was warm when we were there. Might be a bit chilly to sit outside now

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    The Empire State building is really very cool, but if you go, be SURE to get the "express" tickets. They cost a bit more, but you will save HOURS of waiting in line.

There's a hotel right next to ground zero that has a restaurant that overlooks the building site. It's called the World Center Hotel at 140 Washington. You can go have a drink and a bite and look out over the building site--was very neat last year, although it was warm when we were there. Might be a bit chilly to sit outside now
    I would say that if you want to go to the top of a tall building and get a view, I would strongly suggest Top of the Rock over the Empire State. Top of the Rock gives you a great view of the ESB and the park, but I wouldn't be eager to do either one this time of year. COLLLLLDDDDD!!! LOL

And if you do the WTC site (the memorial is FREE, but you need to print your passes in advance), I would suggest O'Haras. It is a divish bar with an awesome staff. Not somewhere I would want a fine meal, but they have a friendly staff, drinks at good prices, and keep a pretty intense scrap book of the events from 9/11 behind the bar. There are police and fire patches from all around the world, and is a spot that many first responders would gather. It is the real deal, raw NYC, though it gets a fair amount of tourist traffic being right across from the memorial.

If you want a good over view then do the circle line boat tour. You can take it all the way around the island and see a lot and learn a lot. My friend and I went to NYC for less than 48 hours because she is German and really wanted to go. The boat tour was awesome to see a bit of everything. We went to central park a lot because both of us being horse people, we needed the grass and space. We walked down 5th avenue and went to times square. Nothing big, but it was enough for her.

Definitely, take a carriage ride through Central Park. Lots of fun and support the horses!

If you go to the Empire State building, get tickets for the movie. Very cute.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Western, & Polo Ponies

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

If you just have one day/night, I wouldn't waste time in Brooklyn or the Financial District (unless you really, really want to see the WTC site, but that will eat up a lot of time). Maybe for a return trip.

The biggest thing: get out of Times Square. Spend 10 minutes there to ooh and aah at the lights, then go to Central Park, look at the store windows along Fifth Avenue, go to the Top of the Rock (instead of the Empire State Building), and ice skate at Bryant Park (rather than Rockefeller Center). Come down to Greenwich Village, see the arch at Washington Square Park, find a nice restaurant for lunch and dinner and just enjoy strolling around the neighborhood (I live here and I still walk around just looking at the beautiful homes and buildings).

Happy to give more specific recs if you tell me what you're interested in.

3 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Probably not for this trip but definitely visit Ellis Island in a later one. It takes the better part of the day but is a really well ran tourist attraction. Maybe its because I am an immigrant, but I loved every second of my 2 visits to Ellis Island.

We also had a lot of fun ice skating in Central Park! Definitely support the carriage horses. See a broadway show if you can.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    I would say that if you want to go to the top of a tall building and get a view, I would strongly suggest Top of the Rock over the Empire State. Top of the Rock gives you a great view of the ESB and the park, but I wouldn't be eager to do either one this time of year. COLLLLLDDDDD!!! LOL

And if you do the WTC site (the memorial is FREE, but you need to print your passes in advance), I would suggest O'Haras. It is a divish bar with an awesome staff. Not somewhere I would want a fine meal, but they have a friendly staff, drinks at good prices, and keep a pretty intense scrap book of the events from 9/11 behind the bar. There are police and fire patches from all around the world, and is a spot that many first responders would gather. It is the real deal, raw NYC, though it gets a fair amount of tourist traffic being right across from the memorial.
    Might be, but it's the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING!!!
    one HAS to go there, at least once!

If you have time, see some of the Museums. At least the wind won't pull the undies our right from under your clothes!

Of course Macies and Saks 5th avenue...
    Nah, I am kidding!

It'll be cold I bet, so most of what we did (30 years ago) in the summer won't be too nice, like ferry right, etc...
    Of course, Statue of Liberty is also one of them things, when in NYC, you really ought to go see it!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Stop by McSorley's and have a pint ! http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Might be, but it's the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING!!!
    one HAS to go there, at least once!

If you have time, see some of the Museums. At least the wind won't pull the undies our right from under your clothes!

Of course Macies and Saks 5th avenue...
    Nah, I am kidding!

It'll be cold I bet, so most of what we did (30 years ago) in the summer won't be too nice, like ferry right, etc...
    Of course, Statue of Liberty is also one of them things, when in NYC, you really ought to go see it!
    Top of the Rock has stunning views of the ESB and shorter lines.

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are still closed due to damage from Sandy.

FYI: both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are closed indefinitely, due to the hurricane. If you're itching for a view of both, take the free Staten Island Ferry.

Default 2nd the circle line

The Circle Line boat ride is great because you see everything and get a history lesson, but I'm not sure it operates in the winter. The Hudson used to freeze, but maybe now they keep going? All are great suggestions. You will love it!

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat View Post
    Top of the Rock has stunning views of the ESB and shorter lines.
    LOL, it's still not the Empire State Building, where King Kong crawled around, Carry Grant met his love in 'An Affair to remember' or Tom Hanks meets Meg Ryan...screw the lines, you just HAVE to have been there.
    besides, it's awesome early 20th century architecture and a small history lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?