The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

no cost of living increases on his pensions sadly.
    they are just enough to live on if we are frugal and lucky.
    i think--the dollar is worth 75 cents to one euro, and i haven't gotten the numbers all in yet for living there. it might be too pricey, causing us to use the nest egg, which of course i am loathe to do. in fact touching that frightens the daylights out of me!
    and health complications---we already have a lot of experience with the italian health care system; we would come home if/when he needed treatment again. so that might also mean a month to month lease where ever we land.
    otoh, without a mortgage to worry about if the newest promising treatment was in austria for instance we could more easily go there.

the pensions are so not enough to support the farm tho, which is why i work. and i do love my work, could even do it there on some level i suppose.
    basically if we can live on his pension alone i will be able to invest the proceeds from the house for the future. i will get half of his pensions when he dies, hopefully that won't be for a long time.
    when and if i am single then i will have the nest egg with which to buy something outright if i desire, plus half of his pension, which will not be enough to support me. but again i can go back to work.
    oy vey, so much to think about!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

This is a very good site that has guidance on buying property in Italy (and very accurate info on the different regions, IMO) http://www.keyitaly.com/article/how-to-buy-in-italy/

Do note that the process is quite different than what you may be used to here.

If you are only going for a year or so, you might be wise to rent rather than buy; do check visa requirements and that sort of thing well in advance.

Another site you might find interesting is this one, that details another couple's travels in retirement: http://homefreeadventures.com

Personally I love to travel and one of the things that DH and I regularly do is sit down and talk about the list of places we want to go in retirement (it's getting quite long, LOL.) I think if you can swing it financially, GO!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Good lord, what are you waiting for? You dont have to buy a home there, you can probably find some awesome villa to rent. Just call it an extended vacation; stay for as long as you feel like it. You might be done after 2 months, or you might want to stay a year. Be flexible.

GO!

You only live once!

I would lease out your other horses, give the cats to a family member for the year and take the dog with me.

Ditto on checking out healthcare just in case (I am a planner/AKA worrier) and just go.

well yes that is me!
    and yes the passion is there, not to worry,lol.
    however, dh has always wanted to spend a year in italy, but until his health was better it was simply a dream of his.
    now that the market is better we could actually consider pulling it off.
    and i can do my work with disabled adults almost anywhere--setting up my equestrian home for ladies could be postponed a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    Weren't you the same person who was really ├╝ber passionate about your new business transformation idea of a horse retreat for socially inadequate women or something to that effect?

Where'd that passion go? You were slipping it in to every post you could you were so beaming.

Italy is great, but I would not invest there in real estate - rent something small.
    Set up your finances in US so they are safe and growing...cover your bases.
    Go and have the adventure - you can come home any time.
    If your husband's health deteriorated, you may live regretting it.
    He may not be able to get health insureance...don't know how to think that one through.
    What is better, warmth, warm chatty people, pizza, gelto, sight-seeing in Europe's ancient seat of the arts, architecture, music, etc.
    Never too old to enjoy life.
    I go twice a year and love it. Drivers are crazy in the cities - they will change you into a determined, raging idiot!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

we would rent, not buy for sure!
    and have to look into his medical insurance a lot deeper, though i have a decent idea of how it works and overall we're in good shape.
    and heck yes i will be prepared to leave for home when and if he needs treatment! we'll have his blood drawn every 90 days and take it from there.

that said i wonder where home would be if we sold it all.

i could buy a small place here and rent it while we were gone to build equity and have a place to return to.
    or wing it and simply rent where ever he has treatments.
    in fact this might be best since with no mortgage we can go anywhere in the world for treatment---that could be quite the benefit now that i'm thinking about it, instead of commuting as we did every three weeks for six months the first time.
    so many decisons--how wonderful to feel we have options again!

1 members found this post helpful.