The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default are we too old for adventure? would you stay 'safe' or go for it?

dh and i started chatting about italy again yesterday.(and yes, the mimosas did help)!
    he is retired and has been kicking leukemia's ass for the past several years.
    he feels great now and has no health worries but for the leukemia returning some day.
    meanwhile i've been wanting to move, as our farm is too much to deal with and we've mostly gotten over fixing fencing and otherwise pouring money into it.
    i love where i board my two mares and have two more on fairly permanent leases elsewhere.
    we also four cats and an elderly dog too, btw.

the market had finally started to improve enough so that our farm is recovering it's value, and we could maybe sell and walk away with a bit of a nest egg. but no real estate!

anyway dh proposes we sell it all and move to sicily for a year. he has cousins there and with the proceeds from the farm we could do it.
    we maybe would even bring the dog or a horse, depending upon cost and trauma to my pets.
    we'd have his pension to live on, btw, have to see if it's even possible to live on that amount in sicilia!

or
    we could sell this farm and buy something very modest for cash, where i could continue building my business.
    (this is our current plan,btw)
    i love my work and can continue building my business or take off altogether for a couple of years and go back to it.(we care for mildly intellectually disabled people in our home-- an awesome way to earn a living,btw)!

i'm almost 53, he's over 70. i think our window of opportunity is extremely tiny if i want to go on a grand adventure with dh before he becomes ill again.
    and living in sicily for a year would make him ridiculously happy i know.

and then when we return to the states i start over?! gulp!
    actually that should be relatively easy, there are people who need people like us all over the world i think.

what would you do?

GO!!!!!

Go to Italy.

DO IT!! Now!!! Then post lots of pictures of your awesome adventure!

Go to Italy, of course.

If you change your mind once there, go somewhere else.
    I hear land in the Greek islands is right now some of the cheapest in Europe.
    Know some thinking on going to live there to retire, for a while anyway.

May be a good time to go live in rural southern Europe.

I can't believe you are not on your way yet.

LOL, dh is ready to pack, as soon as he feels a little more hydrated,lol!
    so going is the right thing isn't it?
    wonder if we could rent the farm for enough to have it pay for itself or just sell and be gone.
    i've been here for over 23 years and it's been a wonderful home. i admit to being stupidly house proud, and it's finally remodeled enough to make me proud to show it off.

guess i have some research to do!

Absolutamente! Go
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Go, go, go!

Another vote to go for it!

bluey i've been ready to go for a long time. but dh's illness and the real estate collapse made it so we had to stay here while he got chemo and our land value returned.

i think this may be the right time, despite that it means i may have to postpone my fabulous business plans.

Wow that's a big one! I'm guessing you've both already been there and love it?

Of course you're not too 'old', but that is a big commitment. I'd also consider an extended trip if you haven't spent a lot of time there...

I'm definitely a seize the moment kind of person (my license plate said DUITNOW), but that IS a big change! Only you know how much you would regret it if you don't do it... and I think that's the key. If you do go.... blog please!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

we've been to italy twice and drove all over for about a month both times.
    plus his cousins on sicily are a great resource though the language barrier is comical. and actually i picked it up pretty quickly both times come to think of it.

You might want to pick an area that has a good chemo hospital near it, just in case, so you have peace of mind. My SO has Cll and schedules his trips around treatments, but it would be nice if he had a European backup. Then checkout what your health coverage covers in Europe.
    You have a lot of choices, have fun!

Go! Go! Go!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Go. No regrets. And post lots of pictures!

Go, if you can afford it when you sell the place and still have enough to live on when you come back. I'm not exactly clear on whether your husband's pension is also what you expect to live on when you get back. Does it go up with inflation? Your business might help there, too, especially if you can pick up where you left off and not have to start from scratch again.

Those circumstances in mind, it sounds wonderful, and like it would be something that you would remember for the rest of your life. Imagine the fun of totally immersing yourself in another culture for an extended period of time! You'll come back home thinking entirely differently about some things, I bet.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Go!

Having dealt with my husbands health issues off and on for several years we were always putting things off. This spring he almost died again and his doctor told him in no uncertain terms he must stop working.

We had planned a trip to Ireland, a once in a lifetime trip and I almost cancelled it. So very glad I did not. We had a great time, made wonderful memories, and honestly all we would have done if we had cancelled was pay a few more hospital bills down earlier which are almost paid off now anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

Do you have enough in retirement? In an emergency fund?

If so -- GO.

My resolution for this year is "regret nothing." So if you can afford it comfortably, go.

Weren't you the same person who was really über passionate about your new business transformation idea of a horse retreat for socially inadequate women or something to that effect?

Where'd that passion go? You were slipping it in to every post you could you were so beaming.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

While it sounds great on paper, I would really, really, really think twice about it. Italy is a great country to visit, but you would have to seriously consider ALL aspects of staying there for such a long time.. health insurance, health facilities, immigration/long term resident requirements, money transfers, taxes... And Italy is not the most stable country in Europe right now.
    I am French and have dual citizenship with Canada, but even I would really hesitate about going back there for a year!

Can you afford to put your business on hold for a year? Will the "market" still be there when you come back?

It really is different than going for a vacation, but if you are very adventurous, go for it, but make sure all your i's are dotted and your t's crossed!! I am older than you, but I guess I have no sense of adventure. I like feeling secure and do not like surprises, esp. bad ones.

Good luck!