The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Year's Traditions

What traditions do you guys have? I'm making pork and sauerkraut, for good luck, and do that almost every year. In PA, where I grew up, this was common practice, but now I live in another state and my friends think I'm weird

I'm curious what other people do for luck or just tradition for the new year.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Black eyed peas for luck, greens for prosperity. You can't have any leftovers. Also, all the Christmas stuff has to be down and packed. Don't take anything old into the New Year. You have to work the first day of the New Year if you want to work the rest of the year
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Um...eat December 31's leftovers? And call all the far-away family and friends.
    I keep my Xmas tree for as long as I can. I love the smell of it, the presence. At least until Jan. 6th. Maybe longer unless it really starts shedding its needles
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedsAdvil View Post
    What traditions do you guys have? I'm making pork and sauerkraut, for good luck, and do that almost every year. In PA, where I grew up, this was common practice, but now I live in another state and my friends think I'm weird

I'm curious what other people do for luck or just tradition for the new year.
    My family always made pork ribs and sauerkraut. I get a definite WTF reaction now that I've moved east and married into an Irish family. I always invite one of my ethnic Ukrainian buddies over for dinner on New Years. He understands the importance of pickled cabbage as soul food.

pork, sauerkraut & onions, baked potatoes and real seeded rye bread!

and beer.

I watch the Rose Parade, unless I am working that day. I don't do food traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedsAdvil View Post
    That explains the giant display of sauerkraut in the grocery store this morning. As a transplant to PA, I thought it was odd.

I just watch the Rose Bowl Parade and then college bowl games while finishing any tidying to start the year with a clean apartment.

I watched the parade and took down my decorations. I used to do that every year with my MaMaw in KY. My parents would go visiting and she and I would watch the parade. I watched it in color. She watched it on the black and white in the kitchen while making dinner. If there was a really good one I would call her in to see it in color.

Pork and sauerkraut here too (although I don't eat it- YUCK!). Usually my New Year's tradition is a trail ride but it didn't get to happen today
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

My family has this weird tradition - every New Year's, you put money outside, like on your porch. It's supposed to bring you luck in the new year.

We also do pork and sauerkraut. I actually think it's pretty tasty haha.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Black eyed peas, and whatever you're doing at midnight is what you will do all year.

mom and I had salad.

1 members found this post helpful.