The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Insomniacs Unite?

I figure now is a good time as any to type this, as it is 2:16 AM and I probably won't be sleeping for at least another hour.

I tried every trick in the book before resorting to drugs. Well, not really drugs. Just 1.5mg of melatonin every night does the trick for me, but when I don't take it (like tonight) I can just go all night. I know I shouldn't be technolo-gizing and revving my brain up, but oh well.

Anyone else who can sympathize? I admit, I kind of like the serenity of 4 AM.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Well, I'm on the east coast so I've already *been* up for a while, had to get up early this morning. But for some reason I could not sleep last night. And I was not out partying or anything! Sometimes I take some benadryl to make myself fall asleep, but can't do that if I have to wake up soon or I won't wake up till it wears off.

Me too! Just went to bed a few hours ago and I'm up again. Although this is when a lot of normal people wake up!

I'm on break, so no work for a few weeks and my sleep schedule is all messed up. I've been falling asleep around 3am and sleeping in until 10. That's gonna hurt when I have to go back to work and be up at 5:45!!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I've been taking unisom or Benadryl and melatonin for years. I didn't even sleep well as a toddler/little kid, so I think it's just me.

Been fighting somnia for too long. I have not been good about planning for sleep so am often too late with a sleeping pill/aid and then oversleep in the AM.

One of my New Year resolutions is to treat myself better including exercise, weight loss and better rest. Also will set the oven timer to 1 hour each night for computer stuff like COTH, Facebook, email and games.

Good Luck!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

For you hard-core insomniacs:

Seroquel

It will make you sleep, not leave you feeling groggy and you do not build a tolerance.

I am a TERRIBLE insomniac--I will not sleep for months at a time--and this drug has quite honestly changed my entire life.

2 members found this post helpful.

My insomnia started a few years ago. When I do sleep I have terrible stress-anxiety nightmares that tear me awake with a heart-pounding rush of adrenalin. I am now on Ambien and it seems to take care of the problem for the most part. Sometimes I will only sleep for about half a night, but at least I don't seem to get the nightmares so much when I take it. I hate to be so reliant on a drug to sleep, but it seems to be the only thing that has helped me consistently.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

i used to take ambian and lorazapan and the need to increase for same results is scary. i quit cold turkey after several months of acting weirder than usual let's say.
    so now when insomnia strikes i start drinking sleep tea at three pm, avoid alcohol and chocolate, and take 3 units of melatonin and two or even three benedryl if necessary.
    when i was taking more melatonin i was having break through anxiety, waking in the middle of the night panic stricken over something or another.
    it was aweful but l learned less is better in this case.
    insomnia is misery spelled differently.

When I can't sleep I count backwards slowly from 100. Usually I can't make it through two rounds before I am out.

I don't take anything now, but my doc put me on a low dose of Trazadone (sp?) for sleep before awhile ago. It helped and I didn't have any weird side effects.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I haven't felt the need for increases dosage of Ambien and I've been on it for a couple of years now. Mostly it will allow me to have a great sleep for about 4 or so hours. I'll then wake up, but most nights am able to drift back to sleep naturally. I never feel any lingering effects in the morning.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I have been on Ambien, Lunesta and a variety of other "traditional" sleep drugs. Without fail, they work for a couple weeks, perhaps, and then they either stop working or I build tolerance. Things like benedryl and melatonin were never effective on my insomnia. Neither was meditation.

Seriously, the seroquel was the ONLY thing was effective long term. I've been on it for perhaps 6 years now. It even came off patent recently, so it's very affordable For those of you with serious, unrelenting insomnia, it is certainly worth chatting with your doctor about.