The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Milestone Birthday

I have never spent much time perseverating over getting older, and actually thought I was fine with hitting the big 5-0 this year until my a$$hat husband turned to me at the big neighborhood New Year's Eve party at 12:01 and announced at top volume "you're turning FIFTY this year!!!" Thanks. I knew that. And now the entire freaking world knows that as well.

I was not happy at ALL about turning 40 and was pretty freaking vocal about it, to the point where I told my husband to shut up after he wished me Happy Birthday for perhaps the 20th time in two hours.

So when I came home and found that stupid sign on the lawn - you know, "Lordy, Lordy, Mara's Forty", I went BALLISTIC. Called husband at work and demanded to know if he was responsible for the sign. Because, you know, I had REALLY made myself clear about it. He swore he hadn't done it.

Next I called my sister in Chicago to find out if SHE knew who might have done it. I knew if it were my mom or grandmother (which I doubted), I was going to have to sort of temper my responses.

My sister hesitated for a long time before finally saying, "I told (DH) that was a really bad idea." Yep, she outed my husband. At that point it got kind of funny, but I didn't tell DH he'd been ratted on for about 6 months.

I hope he knows better when my 50th approaches, but I will remind him just in case.

Oddly, I found 50 far less jarring than 40. I did have a momentary mini-tantrum a few weeks before my birthday when AARP sent me an unsolicited membership card, LOL, and I still do make faces when I encounter a "check your age range" box that has 50-64 as a choice, but otherwise, eh. I'm mostly glad to be in the middle of middle-aged.

You are just a puppy, my milestone this year is way ahead of yours.

By the way the fifties were my happiest decade.

My bro got me a hat that says "vintage 1962" on it. Eh. -shrug- I needed a new one anyway. I've been wearing it. And am at the beach at a very nice hotel as a present to myself.

The hips, however, have been making editorial comments when I get off horses lately...

Talking about hats, a friend of mine who just turned sixty is wearing this one:

"I am not old, I am well marinated"

Cracks me up every time.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

50 was a wonderful year for me and I have had many good times since then

a wonderful job
    several wonderous vacations
    aunt flo is a distant memmory

I feel old enough to no longer care about things I use to care about.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com