The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Catfish- the documentary and MTV show

Anyone watch this?

Yes! I've watched all of them so far and it's fascinating to me! Both that people are so gullible and hopeful and how they can track down the truth and the original experience of Nev... I'm totally intrigued by it. I DVR it and watch it late at night and just wonder about things like the internet and human nature and it makes me not sleep well.. lol

I had a unique interest in this as I was completely duped by a huge D-bag.

Looking back, I can't believe I was so gullible and trusting. Here's to trusting people for face value! I am now in a great relationship, but word of caution to online dating, if there are red flags, trust your gut instinct!

I've watched most of the episodes. Some interesting people out there, to say the least.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

All of the above!

And, how hot is Nev? Although, I'm not sure how torn up he was over the Megan thing, because I think he likes boys.

3 members found this post helpful.

Nev is cute, but he has a rather large amount of chest hair. I don't really know why we need to see this on camera? LOL
    Caitlin

1 members found this post helpful.

I just watched the movie for the first time on MTV. I'd wanted to see it for a long time and I'm glad I did. It was fascinating and, wow, Nev is so hot . (I'm not a teen either, late 30's). I really want to see the show now. I have to look for it On Demand.
    Member of Book Worms Clique and proud member of INCREDIBLE INVISIBLES.
    Mr Wigglebottom 1999-2010. Once in a lifetime cat. Much loved, much missed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Nev is cute, but he has a rather large amount of chest hair. I don't really know why we need to see this on camera? LOL
    So? Some of us girls don't mind that kinda thing.

I barely watch TV, but I find this show fascinating!! Love it!

what's the most cool about this show is where it got its name; catfish... from the original guy in the off-kilter lady's profile, the catfish that kept everyone on their toes.... that guy was so "off" but he said something with such clarity and purpose... so strange!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    what's the most cool about this show is where it got its name; catfish... from the original guy in the off-kilter lady's profile, the catfish that kept everyone on their toes.... that guy was so "off" but he said something with such clarity and purpose... so strange!
    I agree. I had to watch it twice just for that very bizarre part.

Love it. Although really, I just want to shake some of them. "Yeah, my online boyfriend is a model in LA who's going to school online for anesthesiology." Seriously?

2 members found this post helpful.

The movie was available on an overseas flight and I had no idea what it was. I had watched all the other movies I was interested in & had about an hour until landing, so I figured I'd start watching just to see what it was.

OMG.... I almost begged the flight attendants to let me watch the last 20 minutes while they cleaned the plane, and then I spent half of my trip trying to find a copy so I could finish watching it at my friend's house.

2 members found this post helpful.

I LOVE this show and I LOVED the movie. To me, it seems so sad that these people believed the lies they were being fed.

I agree with the poster who mentioned Nev's chest hair! Cover it up, homeboy!

I find this show fascinating as well. Human nature and all that good stuff.

I would love to know how this works behind the scenes. If one takes the show at face value, Nev flies out to meet the person who emailed him, "Person A", and then asks their online love interest, "Person B", to meet. Obviously we only ever see the couples who both agree to appear on the show.

How often does Person B not agree to meet? Or to be on camera? What's the ratio of consent: no consent? I can't imagine that Nev/mtv are paying for flights to go out to meet Person A before getting Person B's consent. It seems like it would be a huge waste of money. Unless they're finding the majority of Person Bs are consenting? I really would like to know.

I'm continually shocked by how gullible some of these people are - as SarahandSam said, model/online anesthesiologist/television cue card guy is pretty incroyable! But I do find it somewhat endearing that they are all so willing to trust, and so open and raw about their feelings. The duped person's response has been refreshingly mature and introspective in the majority of cases, I think.
    The plural of anecdote is not data

I think it's a fascinating look at human nature; the people that are trying so hard to connect the ones that are operating behind false id's... I think its so much more widespread than we even think and yet it's not ever talked about...

just fascinating to me.

Yet I remember an episode where Nev's hand was buried deeply DEEP within his own sweatpants as if the camera had interrupted a moment... LOL

Omg, I remember that moment.

And Nev's tramp stamp, lol.

They gotta be contacting person b before filming. Or just filming a crap-ton of these and only airing the ones that pan out?

I just wanted to give Angela a makeover and sign her up for riding lessons or fiction writing classes or something. Takeaway message: no good can come of not taking care of yourself.

I read on another forum that MTV was actually advertising for the catfish-er to contact them. So I think the way it's set up is that the catfish-er contacts the show, the show contacts the catfish-ee, and then pretends to do the investigation of the catfish-er. Much more plausible that way. Otherwise I don't think they'd be getting so many of the catfish-ers to agree to be on camera. They have to be ready to give up the scam. Or want 15 minutes of fame. Or both.
    Caitlin