The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It's New Years Eve... and I have the Gardening urge ;) Your plans for 2013?

We bought a house in November... the absolute worst time of the year for me. I just wanted to jump right in and start on the yard! I got bulbs in and now with all the snow and ice I have to wait until spring

I already started looking at what seeds/plants I want to order! Anyone else already planning?
    -SW-
    Precious Few- 1998 OTTB

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I am planning on putting in at least one more raised bed--I bought 12 more dahlias for next year and have no place to put them! I entered my flowers and veggies in the fair last year, and much to my surprise, won a Judge's Choice and a Best in Class, so I'm inspired to do better next August!

I will do potatoes, green beans, beets, chard (if the damn deer don't eat it all again during our mini-drought!), tomatoes and pumpkins for Halloween use. Mr. CC hates green beans, zuchinni and tolerates tomatoes, so I don't do many of those.

I plan on adding Brussels Sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower to the mix. I might even do strawberries, too.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

1 members found this post helpful.

Aaaagggghhhh! Don't do this to me. LOL! I do a container garden that produces "some" stuff but not really enough to be worth it. Every year I think, "Why do I do this?" And then I do it again.

I do lettuce which does very well, water mellon, peppers, beans, potatoes, tomatoes, squash (which flowers but doesn't do much), cucumbers, and more that I can't think of. I love doing it but I wish more of the stuff produced.

I tried doing beets last year (LOVE them)... did not have a bit of luck. Do you do anything special for them?

I was living with a friend and it was a first year garden, she had really crappy soil and I couldn't seem to amend it enough. I think that was the whole problem. (our dirt here looks great!)
    -SW-
    Precious Few- 1998 OTTB

I put 4 inches of almost composted manure/bedding on mr. subk's veggie garden a few weeks ago. Last year was our first big vegetable garden. It was supposed to be HIS garden but you know who did most of the work--until the end of July when I lost control of the weeds. Our new plan for 2013 includes deep mulching with straw to control weeds.

I've also gotten bitten by the rose bug. So I have about 10 antique/old garden roses on order for spring. Some will be incorporated into the perennial beds and foundation plantings, but I'm toying with a creating a new garden for them.

The other thing is that I switched my bedding from pine pellets to straw pellets to see if it improves the resulting quality of my compost.

I am so looking forward to spring and digging in the garden. I did plant a bunch of bulbs today and cleaned up the main perennial bed. I still have about 60 bulbs to plant in the other two small beds. This year I tried my hand at veggie gardening and did tomatoes, radishes, broccoli, onions, beans, carrots, beets, and lettuce. Everything did pretty well except for the beans, carrots, and beets. Got nothing. Overloaded with tomatoes to the point I was giving them away. Everything was crammed into a small space so some weren't getting enough sun to produce but I'm planning a much bigger one with room for all.

I saw the most enormous night crawler today in the garden, almost the size of a small snake. Just crawing along minding his own business.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Already checking out the catalogs.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Oh! I started a very petite garden on my fire escape this past year. I started a little late, so I'm hoping for more success this year, but I got some great jalapenos, squash blossoms, salad greens, herbs, and edible flowers. My tomato plants were doing well, but I think I started them a few weeks too late—hopefully this year I'll get some fruit. I was not successful with carrots (still sort of growing?) or radish, for some reason.

I actually garden in the winter here, not so much watering. I saw that the plant starts company truck was unloading at my local gardening center today.

Yah, beets, carrots, peas and parsley will be planted next weekend. I also get pansies, stock and icelandic poppies. I give up in May it is just too dry in the summer.

I will be ordering seedsand some other supplies tomorrow. I will start tomato seeds inside in a few weeks.

I have twelve raised beds and will add a few more this year. Thinking about putting one in strawberries...maybe one in blackberries.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I hate gardening but one of my resolutions is that I will actually fix my garden up this year. Our house came with a lovely 30-year-old garden, but I have no idea what to do with it and everything is massive shrubs--forsythias that are as tall as the house, a rosebush that is 15' tall and just as wide, etc. So I ripped some stuff out, am going to get someone to rip more stuff out this spring so I have a couple bare beds to plant, and then I will put in plants that can survive my benign neglect. I also dug and built a fish pond, but I need to put plants around it still...

Seeds have been ordered, and the email says they have shipped. Maybe if I put more plants in containers this year, I can leave more space between the rows in the main garden, and it will be easier to get the tiller between the rows. Every year I plant things too close together, and the garden turns into a jungle.

I grew two pepper plants and one tomato plant in containers last year, and put them in the greenhouse as the weather got colder. The pepper plants continued to set and ripen fruits over the winter, and they taste great. The tomato plant had its last ripe 'mater on Christmas day, but I had to pamper the plant to get it. Now it looks like the tomato plant is finished. If it's going to be very cold overnight, I water with warm water before going to bed, and put a blanket over the plants. The greenhouse also has gallon jugs of water on the floor and they help keep everything from freezing.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I'm in VA..they typcially tell us here to wait to plant till after the first frost..but wondering if I start things by seed, when I should i actually start planting indoors? Anything I can plant earlier like lettuce? I'd like to plant green beans, onions, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, squash and zuchini plus tomoatoes and maybe some strawberries and melons...
    For things to do in Loudoun County, visit: www.365thingstodoloudoun.com

It's interesting... I was SO done with my garden this year. The long hot summer just did me in. Then last week, out of the clear blue, I began having "gardening thoughts" all over again.

I wish I could have a garden this year! I always did tomatoes, dahlias, and new guinea impatiens. And catnip for my kitties I'll just have to pamper my houseplants (cylcamens and an African violet) this year.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
    I'm in VA..they typcially tell us here to wait to plant till after the first frost..but wondering if I start things by seed, when I should i actually start planting indoors? Anything I can plant earlier like lettuce? I'd like to plant green beans, onions, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, squash and zuchini plus tomoatoes and maybe some strawberries and melons...
    I'm in VA too (Culpeper), & start seeds indoors nearly every year. One thing I've learned - DON'T start them too early!! Otherwise you'll be transplanting them into larger containers until you're out of room. Also, to do indoor seed-starting right, you need a fluorescent light setup unless you're only going to start just a couple of things on a windowsill. I don't start my tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, & okra until March, planning on my traditional plant-out date of Mothers Day weekend. As far as cooler weather items like broccoli, kale, Swiss Chard, lettuce, etc. - those you can start in February with a plant-out in late March/early April depending on how the weather is going. And remember that you have to count on at least a week of "hardening off" any plants started indoors. This means bringing them outside into a sheltered area during the day & bringing them back in at night for a few days, then starting to leave them out at night, then moving out into direct sunlight for a few hours, etc., etc.

There's lots & LOTS of info on indoor-seed starting both on the internet & in books (library is a good source). You may want to do some research before starting.