The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The COTH Insider's Guide to Colleges

It's about time we started one of these.

The model for this is the Yale Insider's Guide to Colleges. This was a book that compiled some basic statistics and descriptions of life-n-such at their respective schools. Very useful.

So here's how this might work.

1. You write about a place you have been.

2. You explain your position when you were there-- undergrad, grad student, postdoc, faculty, administrator or parent or SO of some student there. And you say When. Whatever/when your link is, explain that so that folks can edit as they see fit.

3. Put the name of the school in the title of your post for easy reference.

4. If you want to comment on a place already introduced, you quote that post and ad yours to it. So, for example, we might have 4 different but detailed descriptions of one place, all in one mammoth post.

Y'all into it? Maybe we can help the whippersnappers out.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Can we have a chapter called "The ins and outs of IHSA" and one called "Equine Studies vs. Actual real life horse world experience"??
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

4 members found this post helpful.

I think it would be more useful to just have a master list of each COTHers alumni/professional university affiliations and then prospectives can contact them individually from there.

So, for what it's worth, I went to Southern Methodist University for undergrad (rode on their NCAA equestrian team too), and went to the City University of New York Graduate School of Journalism for grad school. I welcome anyone interested in NCAA riding or journalism programs to contact me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Can we have a chapter called "The ins and outs of IHSA" and one called "Equine Studies vs. Actual real life horse world experience"??
    Yes we can, but as Editor, I demand that you guys put a huge disclaimer in there. Here, let me suggest a draft for you:

Do NOT pick an Institution of Higher Learning based on whether or not you can ride while you are there. Do understand what colleges and universities were built to do: Sports and the skill-plus-experience of being a professional horse trainer or barn manager are not it. They will sell you a credential (the product all schools are ultimately offering to a waiting market), but the value of that will only be determined by the market afterwards. And if you checked out the Horse Profession enough to think that you might major in it, then you know that the Horse bachelor's degree is a bill of goods.

Feel free to suggest revisions if you wish.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I think it would be more useful to just have a master list of each COTHers alumni/professional university affiliations and then prospectives can contact them individually from there.
    I respectfully disagree. Look, PMing you is *work* for the shy and busy whippersnapper. Everyone is qualified to describe what they liked/didn't like/did at their college. Just let it all hang out!

Also, those private conversations insure that alums of your alma mater won't get to see what you said about it and compare notes between the school in paleolithic times and in recent ones. That's a nice bonus for the oldsters.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Tha Ridge, my son is strongly considering going to SMU (he got admitted Early Action) so I may be PM-ing you!

Anyone want to do an example of the 'important' stuff? I'm currently a student at Purdue University in Indiana. An excellent school for agriculture and engineering (among other things) and we also are home to one of the nation's veterinary schools
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

^ My DH went to Purdue.

I did my undergrad at Indiana University and my graduate degree at SUNY Oneonta. Anyone is welcome to PM me for details and opinions.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Look, PMing you is *work* for the shy and busy whippersnapper. Everyone is qualified to describe what they liked/didn't like/did at their college. Just let it all hang out!
    I don't know. There are some things about my experience that I would rather not share publicly, and of course, even more importantly, certain elements of my experience might not apply to every prospective, so I'd rather not give a blanket statement. What did or didn't work for me might not work or might work for someone else and by creating a private dialogue, I'm happy to tailor my advice accordinly. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    Tha Ridge, my son is strongly considering going to SMU (he got admitted Early Action) so I may be PM-ing you!
    Feel free.

I can provide info on Sweet Briar College (Sweet Briar, Virginia), Lewis and Clark College (Portland, Oregon) and Southern Illinois University (Carbondale, Illinois) if anyone is interested!

I'm happy to talk about University of Pittsburgh. I graduated in 2011 with a BS in Biology, minor in Chemistry. I was a student researcher, studied abroad, and rode IHSA. I also have lots of friends who were engineers at Pitt, so I can put someone in contact with them.

ETA: I'm starting a master's program at Tennessee Tech this semester, so give me some time and I'll be able to discuss that one as well.
    Last edited by kateh; Jan. 2, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I'd be happy to share about Washington State University--home to a Veterinary school, an excellent Pharmacy program and a superb School of Education. No IHSA, but pretty sure the Polo team is still functioning!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I will say that my experience at my equestrian college was terrible. It was all fine and dandy at first but the last two semesters it really went down hill. The girls, yes GIRLS, were rude, bitchy, and high schoolish. The instructors while very knowledgeable (well a couple) did nothing to stop the blatant BULLYING going on and have major egos going on. I had an issue with one of the supervising students (that's another issue, students supervising students and giving the instructors what they thought each should get grade wise in the horse care classes, of course the instructors not questioning it at all) and because I was friends with someone that she had a major falling out with, she made sure that the last few weeks of the semester to pick on every little thing I did. When I went to the instructor to resolve it I got a complete and total character assassination about how it's because I MIGHT be unapproachable, how I PROBABLY am not doing my share of the work (I call bullsh!t one that one, my horses always had their stalls cleaned and had their noses, ears and fetlocks clipped and I always did my share of the barn chores, got up in the middle of the night to administer medications and sit with colicky horses) and because I look at my phone all the time while in the barn that's why people can't talk to me. Um hello?? EVERY SINGLE PERSON in that program has their phones glued to their hands and some wear earbuds non-stop. Oh yes and she made all of these assumptions because she knew me right? WRONG! She couldn't even pronounce my name correctly. Nothing was done about the student taking her personal issues out on me, but she was a favorite. I couldn't even get a word in. This coming all from a person who maybe walks through the barns once or twice a week and is very far removed from reality. They don't even try to hide the blatant favoritism they play.

From what I gathered from other friends, this type of behavior is pretty standard for equestrian programs, if you don't play by their "rules," meaning fawning over the instructors brilliance at every chance, jumping at the chance to watch their little rat dogs (that run into the rings and bark at horses, spooking them and causing riders to fall and get seriously injured) every time they ask, or have parents who give a lot of money to the school in the form of donations to the program, don't expect them to help you out when you have a legitimate issue.

I'm so glad this was only my minor. Aside from a select few, every person that's graduated with and equestrian degree got jobs that they could of easily gotten out of high school with out paying the 80K for the degree. Nothing wrong a grooming/mucking job but it's hard to pay $600 in students loans every month on those salaries.

I will say the plus side was that I did make a couple good friends and got to ride some really nice horses but the politics and the crappy job potential, IMO is not worth the drama. If you go to an equestrian school, at least make it your minor and major in something more traditional, so that when you find out that you're not the next Beezie Madden, you have a back plan for when the bills start coming in.

I attended Wheaton College in Massachusetts for a semester before transferring to the University of Maine at Orono, where I majored in Mass Communication (part of the school of communication and journalism) with a double minor in English Literature and Public Relations. I also rode on the IDA team at UMaine and was the treasurer of the Dressage Club. I am happy to discuss my experiences at either school via PM to those interested.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

So far I've attended 2 schools, working on my third. Hopefully the third time is a charm

1. Admitted to Clemson University (SC) on early admittance. It hadn't been on my radar but I couldn't turn down a full academic scholarship. I was a pre-vet/animal science major. I was there for 1 year. The program was excellent and I would highly recommend it. The school itself was not involved in my decision to leave. I was one of the open riders on the IHSA team. I love love loved it, but I know the coach has since relocated and I do not know who is coaching now.

2. Transfered to University of South Carolina- Beaufort (the Bluffton campus). I was a psych major. It wasn't a great school, but not terrible either. Even though it had a community college feel, they offered some nice 4 year degrees. Their hospitality program is top notch considering the school is 1/2 way between Savannah, GA and Hilton Head Island, SC. I left after 2 years to pursue horses (stupid, I know). There was no riding team but a few of the local girls were working on getting a club started, ironically with my former coach from Clemson.

3. I plan on attending the Colorado School of Mines in fall of 2013 to finish up my undergrad, hopefully with a degree in Geology. I don't have any personal experience with them yet other than talking to the admissions department. Will keep you updated . I have no intention of riding on a team if they even have one.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I'm a current student at Sweet Briar College and would be willing to give information about any aspect of the school.

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

I did my undergrad, MA, and PhD at Cornell University and while I wasn't on the equestrian or polo teams, I rode at their barns daily the entire time I was there an am familiar with both teams. I taught (as a graduate student) for several years there, so I've been on both the student and teaching ends. Happy to talk about the school with anyone who would like more information!

My daughters loved the University of Maryland, College Park. Both were in the Ag school which is much smaller than any of the other schools within UMD. Daughter number 1 was an Animal Science major and number 2 did Bioengineering.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I started out at Allegheny College in PA for a year and a half and then transferred to the University of Edinburgh, where I graduated with an MA in Politics. I'd be happy to discuss either experience with anyone via PM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey