The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sorry for your leg, but glad you are here!

1 members found this post helpful.

I've had a few good knocks to the head from falling off that could have easily killed me had I not been wearing a helmet. I had my closest brush with death this past spring. Me and a friend (fellow COTHer) had taken our horses on a beach ride and were heading back to her place, bringing my horse since we were moving him there temporarily. Going 65mph down the highway when a car approached a stop sign that intersected the highway. I watched in horror as he never even slowed down and there wasn't even time to react, we plowed straight into him full speed.

I somehow knew me and my friend would be ok but all I could think of was my horse, knowing he would be dead. I blacked out on impact and came to as we were sitting in the median in a smoking wreck. By a miracle of god, my friends quick thinking not to hit the brakes or swerve, and a VERY well made trailer, the impact actually impaled the front of the trailer into the back of the truck, preventing it from rolling. It was banged up and the horses shook up, but we all walked away. The front of her truck was almost completely smashed into itself and destroyed, as was the frame of the trailer. The other people in the car somehow walked away(including an 8 year old girl) and as far as we know, never even went to the hospital. I ended up with bad damage to my knees that I'm still recovering from but it could have been so much worse. Had we not been wearing seat belts we would have been dead for sure.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...43502168_n.jpg
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

wow, so many near misses!
    i've come close many, many times in my life, but my guardian angels are always on the job thank goodness.
    lessee, i remember my dad and me and younger brother went 'up island' to pick up our new very used old boat and bring it back to our marina. that meant an atlantic ocean ride through the canal and into the bay. of course we were running late and the seas were high. dad was in the flybridge learning how to drive his new ship, brother and i in the stern watching in awe as the waves towered over us. the coast guard ship was on stand by waiting to rescue us when we capsized, it's incredible we did not. that 26' boat rolled and sunk under those towering waves for hours fighting to make headway, and that afternoon i got my first period on the boat. it was misery, pure misery,lol.

oh gosh, my ex husband almost killed me several times in pratical jokes, he was a risk taker as long as he wasn't the one at risk!
    luckliy life is sedate these days, though i came close to being tee-boned in traffic twice last week.

Another preemie here. In the hospital for 6 weeks before being released to come home. Have often heard from parents and sibs about how they didn't think I would make it. My mother was fairly old for child-bearing at the time. Sister who was the youngest really pi**ed off I came home. To this day, I still think she is.

Also knocked repeatedly under the waves at Long Beach Island, NJ when around 10. Pretty frightening not to be able to get yourself back up from underneath the water. And no one noticed. Didn't have that many lifeguards back then. Didn't go back in the water for quite a while.

But I really wonder about a time when I was around 4 years old. I was home very sick and tucked in on the couch. Had a high fever. I swear I woke up and was able to fly around my living room and see everything from up above! It was so realistic to me, I've almost not doubted myself after all these years, but haven't cared to admit it... Then later on, considering all those with near death experiences with similar visions, it recently dawned on me that perhaps I was more sick than anyone realized that day. Have to say, it was a lot of fun, and would like the skill back! But, nah, would prefer to stay here!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    In some beliefs these are called "checkout points" where based on your karmic position and your in the moment decisions you can either stay, or go.
    Interesting. Just before my accident a woman I'd never seen before (or since) approached the arena gate and watched me ride. I stopped and spoke with her for several minutes. I remember being in a happy mood and told her that even though Murphy was a bit of an idiot, he tried hard and I still loved him. Maybe five minutes after she left, I crashed. In trying to piece together what happened, I said it was right after talking to the woman (I still remember her perfectly, even her voice). BO kept giving me strange looks because no other person had been on the property other than a girl and her father for a lesson. And there was no way a person could have driven or even walked onto the property without the BO seeing.

Some have said that this woman was my guardian angel but I've always wondered, if this were true, why did the accident still happen. Maybe she was just checking whether I should live or die that day?
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

3 members found this post helpful.

I guess I came close. I got kicked in the head by a horse. I went to get on the horse and he wouldn't stand still, so I ended up behind the saddle. Needless to say he bucked me off then kicked me in the head while I was in the air. Thats about all I know. Well I just remember getting on behind the saddle, then I remember seeing the horse running off when I got up and worrying about my saddle. I vaguely remember the ride to the emergency room. I only had a mild concussion and some broken teeth.

I don't really consider it close to death and if you ask me if I have ever been seriously hurt by a horse I will say no. Gotta love the brain protecting you from terrible situations by not allowing you to remember them.

But saying that, I think being kicked in the head by a horse is probably pretty close to death and I am lucky to be here.

Mine is a helmet story, but I was riding my ATV. Caught a front tire on a root, flipped the 4 wheeler, and I landed flat on my back with my head wedged up against a rock. The handlebars of the 4 wheeler were resting on the mouth guard protection/visor of my full face helmet. There was a dent in the back of the helmet from the rock I landed on. There is NO doubt in my mind I would be dead if I were like some of our friends and liked to ride bare headed. Suffered a pretty gnarly broken collar bone.

Oh... So many times. I am not sure if that makes me fortunate or not?!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    Interesting. Just before my accident a woman I'd never seen before (or since) approached the arena gate and watched me ride. I stopped and spoke with her for several minutes. I remember being in a happy mood and told her that even though Murphy was a bit of an idiot, he tried hard and I still loved him. Maybe five minutes after she left, I crashed. In trying to piece together what happened, I said it was right after talking to the woman (I still remember her perfectly, even her voice). BO kept giving me strange looks because no other person had been on the property other than a girl and her father for a lesson. And there was no way a person could have driven or even walked onto the property without the BO seeing.

Some have said that this woman was my guardian angel but I've always wondered, if this were true, why did the accident still happen. Maybe she was just checking whether I should live or die that day?
    perhaps how you spoke of Murphy determined your fate?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Reading through these stories, I think our Guardian Angels deserve a huge thank you.
    I can recall two events. I was driving up Route 128 North in Manchester, MA, heading home from waitressing during a summer break from college when I saw headlights coming right at me. Route 128 is split into two roads, with northbound and southbound separated by a dense median of trees, so I knew it was someone heading south in the northbound lane. I had just enough time to veer into the breakdown lane when the car sped by me. I had to stop and just collect my wits for about 15 minutes, I was shaking so badly.

The second time was when I had my first child. The pregnancy was uneventful until the last month. I had been able to do all my barn work as part of a co-op and I rode through my 7th month. But in that last month, I started seeing white stars in my field of vision and I retained a lot of water. I was also working full time right up to the date of my delivery, but when I talked to my dr about this, she brushed it off because she was so overbooked, it was routinely a 2 hour wait for each prenatal visit.
    She decided to induce the labor, but then she disappeared and it was only later that I learned she had turned the Pitocin drip to the max and forgot about it. It was excruciating, despite an epidural, and I felt like something was wrong. Suddenly, with great clarity, I knew I was leaving and I remember saying to my husband with a smile that scared the wits out of him, "I'm leaving now," and then everything was suddenly dark and calm and peaceful. Then I woke up to all hell breaking loose in the delivery room. My baby and I survived, but my doctor left a surgical sponge in me, so I was back in the ER ten days later, sick as a dog.

The day after I had my baby, I looked like I had been in a prize fight. My eyes were swollen shut and I was completely out of it. I remember so many people on the staff coming to visit me, including the chief of staff, and in my naivete, I thought it was such a friendly hospital. Later, I learned that I had pre-eclampsia, which the doctor had missed completely and I almost died. Nice doctor....

Thank you, Guardian Angels, for doing your best to keep us all going.

2 members found this post helpful.

What a strong and persistent lot we are.

My former H and I had decided to start a family. The first pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. Very sad, but like a large percentage of young women suffering an early pregnancy loss, I understood it as a difficult part of life and went on. A few months later, we were having intercourse and I became nauseated and light headed--unusual for me. I ended up on the bathroom floor and had to demand that he call the rescue squad.... In the ED I quickly ended up in trendelenburg position. Never a good thing. It's a life saving protocol where one's head is lowered so that gravity can bring any available blood to the brain when one has lost enough blood volume for the brain to be in danger of not getting enough oxygen. YIKES!

Floating in and out of consciousness, I'm refusing to let them start an IV for a transfusion (that I need to save my life) because I'm afraid of getting AIDS--this is in the early, early days and the blood supply had been in the news as being at risk. One of the few things I recall from that Ed visit is them getting a VERY large nurse to literally lie on my arm so they can start the transfusion.

Turns out I had an ectopic pregnancy which ruptured and I lost all most all the blood in my body. I was in the hospital for about a week and confined to home for about six weeks. Even though I was in my late 20's and very fit before, it took me over a full year to fully recover.

Three years later, I knew I was pregnant again and I knew it was in my tube--in the way that we all can come to know our bodies. I called my Endo Infertility Doc from work and he told me to come to the ED which I did. In an hour or so, I was back in the OR having the second ectopic removed before it ruptured.

These events changed the course of my life in so may ways.... These days, a big part of my job is related to perinatal bereavement.
    hound

I was riding in a small truck, sitting on the center console, when the idiot driver decided to speed on gravel. The road turned 90 degrees and he hit the tree going 60mph. I had braced my legs against the dash, which saved my life, prevented me from going through the windshield and face first into the tree. Broke my left femur in half, my right tibia and fibula in half, and my left ankle. I have to thank horses and working at the barn for the strong muscles in my legs which allowed me to resist a 60mph collision.

When I was in middle school I rode the bus and it came very early one day and most everyone on the route missed it. When the bus got to school, the last person getting off the bus noticed that the driver wasnt moving. A teacher was alerted and the driver was dead. If the bus would have come on time, a whole school bus load of kids might be dead.

A year ago I was driving home from the barn in 5 o'clock traffic on the interstate and just over the crest of the hill was a 5 car pileup in my lane. There was no time to stop or even slow down, so I swerved into the next lane, and the car that was behind me hit the 5 car pile up. My heart was beating so fast and I was so shocked I made it out of that. There was no place to pull over and gather my wits, so I scrapped them together until I got home.

I think my closest incident was this past April. I was driving to work on my usual route, through rural farm fields, coming around a curve to go up a big steep hill. There was an elderly woman driving at least 65 mph down the hill in the wrong lane (my lane, narrow two lane road). She hit me just shy of head on as I was able to swerve somewhat, clipping the entire left axle/side of my car, I ended up turned around in one of the fields. Then she tried to hit and run...

I had not a single scratch on me. Car totalled though. Very much a moment of "This is it. You had a good run of it." Less than 6 months later, I was hit again, and again not my fault, while on my Vespa. Woman turned left illegally directly in my path while going almost 50mph. I was ejected. Thank goodness for my helmet and good leather.

I'm really over near death experiences and hoping to avoid anything remotely close in 2013

Knocking wood furiously, I can honestly say I've never been seriously injured by a horse, despite being nearly two decades in. I'm insanely careful and conscious of the fact that could change anytime...

Intestinal perforation in 2000 when I was in law school. My mother had just rushed to the airport to get on a plane to come to North Carolina to be with me when they came to bring me to surgery. I asked the doctor if we could wait to start until my mom arrived, which would only be a couple of hours. The doctor looked at me and said "you're dying, so no, we can't wait." I was like, OK then, let's get this show on the road.

I was in the hospital for 2 weeks on major IV antibiotics, not to mention pain killers, to recover from being septic.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Clanter, do you ever think that you should stay out of/out from under military aircraft and armaments?