The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

First time, I don't remember how old I was. Had to have been middle school aged. Was with my sister and two of our friends and we had started a fire (with permission) in a metal fire bin. It quickly became out of control and there was a huge propane tank sitting right next to it. We freaked out, one of the boys ran inside to get the fire extinguisher to put it out before it blew up. He got reprimanded by his dad for that... Which we all thought was dumb. We couldn't get the hose to screw on the faucet, otherwise we would have used it.

Next time, was summer before my senior year. I had just got home from school clothes shopping. Looked outside to a HUGE brush fire sweeping the neighboring property (of about 10 acres - the grass part at least) and into our yard. I was the last out of the house and remember seeing this huge, probably 20-foot-tall wall of fire coming straight at me. I booked it out into the front yard. Felt like forever for the firefighters to get there. Didn't lose anything - not even the trampoline & swing-set structure out in the backyard in the thick of the blaze.

I got PTSD from it, though. So I relive different versions of that every now and then. Almost worse than seeing it in person.

Mine isn't nearly as exciting as some, but the short version is that my mom was in labor for me for more than 48 hours, and the doctor waited too long to do a C-section (much rarer in 1972 than today, I think) and by the time he realized I was in danger, there as nothing they could do except deliver in the old fashioned way and hope for the best. My first Apgar score was a 2 out of 10, considered critically low. Obviously I survived just fine, but am an only child due to the difficulty.

2 members found this post helpful.

henry that's too bad; I bet that was hard on your mom...

I was in my first semester of grad school, and had thought I had some sort of flu bug or depression or was just stressed out-tired all the time, crying jags, sleeping until noon or later and not having much energy to eat or do much of anything. That I had been sick pretty much on and off since winter term of junior year, I probably should have known something was up. Thank God I decided that day to drag myself to Giant to go grocery shopping. I still remember standing in the checkout line and hearing the woman ahead of me say "I think she's going to pass out" right before I hit the floor. I didn't really lose consciousness, but the manager and cashier had me sit until the EMTs arrived. Blood sugar was normal, heart was pretty normal, so they started an IV line and took me to the ER, where they did bloodwork and a urine test. I still remember the doctor coming back into the room and saying "Your blood work is back, we're admitting you, the hematologist will be waiting upstairs, and no, you cannot get off the gurney." Now, the hematologist/oncologist was reassuring in that he said "I am 99% sure I know what's wrong with you, but I have to do a marrow tap anyway to rule out leukemia", and he assured me I was not going to die, but because I was being transfused I was up most of the night and could hear the nurses arguing about what they were giving me ("He says give her this but if we give her that and she reacts to it we won't know if she's reacting to this or that"). I had a platelet count of 4500 (no, I am not missing a zero there) and a hematocrit of 15 and needed four units of whole blood and two of just platelets (I had/have ideopathic thrombocyotopoenia, an autoimmune disease where the immune system destroys clotting factors.) It wasn't until two days later, though, when I got to take slow walks around with an IV pole (the cardiologist put her foot down and wanted me up and moving a bit) that one of the PCU nurses admitted the first night they'd had an atropine needle out at the nurse's station because my heart rate was so low they were afraid I was going to go into arrest.

Long story short, I had a doctor make some really poor decisions when prescribing medication for me when I was about 13, and I went into a coma and stopped breathing.

Thankfully I got up to use the bathroom before losing consciousness, and I made a huge crash falling over, which woke my mom up, and she called 911. If that hadn't happened, I probably would have died in my sleep.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

The first time I had surgery, on my arm, I was supposed to go home that afternoon.
    As they where wheeling me into recovery I started to wake up and was very nauseous and started vomiting all over the nurse.
    I mumbled about getting me a pan and then all the monitors went wild and I was flatlining.
    Everyone went nuts and the nurse yelled some things and to get her nitroglycerine and shook me and the monitors started beeping again.
    I was thinking that sure was a funny hospital, almost scary there, so much wild stuff going on, just as I kept vomiting, or trying to and again the monitors flatlined.
    The nurse shook me again and finally got some nitroglycerine and stuck under my tongue.
    Then the monitor again flatlined and by then I was very much awake and before she shook me again, I told her the pill was not quite dissolved, just wait a minute and give it time and sure enough, the monitor again was beeping nicely.

All that was going on with my arm in a big, bulky cast from my fingers to past my elbow.

I told the nurse I thought something was wrong with the monitor or leads.
    She looked at me mad and said no, your hart was quitting on us, we could have lost you, as if it was my fault.
    Ok, I didn't say more, she may have been scared and a bit put out because of the little I had been throwing up on her, since she could not think to get me a pan in the confusion.

In all, best I know, that monitor flatlined at least four times I noticed, maybe five.
    I still think it may have been the monitor, but who knows.
    I had to stay in observation until the next day, just to be sure all was ok.

Thankfully, I had more surgeries after that, no more vomiting, got patch behind the ear for that and no more funny monitor tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy's Mom View Post
    Was hanging off the side of a bolting horse trying not to fall off when I t-boned a fence post (RR tie). The ER doc said I'd be dead if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. Ended up with a concussion, broken tailbone, and amnesia.
    Wow, I had a very similar accident, except mine was an 8 x 8 support post in an indoor. Horse spooked and bolted as I was mounting, and when I finally decided I couldn't hang on anymore, we were right next to the door that led into the barn. Slammed headfirst into the post, knocking myself out cold, then flopped into the concrete barn aisle. Woke up a minute later with a bunch of people hovering around me and no idea where I was. I still have a span of time that I don't remember...

Quite a few horse mishaps. The scariest was when I was breaking a stud cold out of the starting gates. He was green, and tried to dart right. I held him in, but it was enough to shift my saddle. My saddle flipped going around the first turn, and I landed on my head. I only remember prices after that, and I had a pretty wicked concussion, and a torn retina. My memory is still pretty bad - especially names.

Had my appendix burst when I was a kid. My poor mother took me to the ER and the doctor gave my mother pain relievers and instructed her to give them to me every 4 hours. Yup, that worked. . When I kept asking for my mother, while my mother was holding my hand, she decided to take me into Children's Hospital in Boston. Within 30 mins I was on the operating table. Stayed in a medical coma for 10 days, had all brand new blood coursing through my veins and drains everywhere. Stayed in the hospital for weeks. Had to have drains in for a good six months while wearing a corset. Guess I was quite septic and would not have lived more than a couple of hours if my Mumzy didn't bring me in.. Thanks Mom! Stupid first ER doctor!

In rehab hospital when I threw a DVT through my heart and into my lung. Fortunately someone saw me "checkout" and got CPR started. AED said that defib was not recommended (true flatline, no heart activity). CPR twice and I came back although I don't remember the ride to the ER.

Mine was recently. I was sick for several days which left me seriously dehydrated. The dehydration affected my heart and I had unstable tachycardia. I had been to the ER the past two days where they administered some drugs, IV fluids and sent me home. I called my father to come help me the third night because I knew if something didn't happen I was going to be in serious trouble. I couldn't walk, I couldn't breathe well and I was lightheaded/dizzy. This in addition to the intractable vomiting I had been dealing with for nearly a week. I asked my father to take me to a different hospital and advocate for me. They admitted me to the hospital immediately after getting me on monitors and thankfully were able to get things under control. The cardiologist said I was at real risk for cardiac arrest and could have died at home that night if I didn't get into the hospital when I did.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky dog farm View Post
    Had my appendix burst when I was a kid. My poor mother took me to the ER and the doctor gave my mother pain relievers and instructed her to give them to me every 4 hours. Yup, that worked. . When I kept asking for my mother, while my mother was holding my hand, she decided to take me into Children's Hospital in Boston. Within 30 mins I was on the operating table. Stayed in a medical coma for 10 days, had all brand new blood coursing through my veins and drains everywhere. Stayed in the hospital for weeks. Had to have drains in for a good six months while wearing a corset. Guess I was quite septic and would not have lived more than a couple of hours if my Mumzy didn't bring me in.. Thanks Mom! Stupid first ER doctor!
    This happened to my brother! They said he had a virus/flu and gave him some IV fluids and sent him home. Follow up with the PCP the next day and she took one look at him and sent him back to the ER. He was jaundice, and already in massive organ failure. His kidneys and liver weren't functioning. When they operated on him they still didn't know what it was and my parents had to consent to an open abdominal exploratory surgery. He has this big capital I incision on his torso because they literally opened him up completely. 10 days in ICU and another few weeks in a regular patient room. He doesn't remember the ER visit or the trip to the doctor's office.

I had the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck and my mom kept pushing and I kept going back in. They said I was blue when they were able to slip the cord off my head. I don't remember a thing

I suppose it was the mild concussion I had from a fall off a horse. I would have died, or been a vegetable, had I not been wearing a helmet. Gives me chills to think about it.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

1 members found this post helpful.

My first horse, Fooler, fell backwards on top of me. With a western saddle - per family Doc the horn just missed my spleen. He could tell because the imprint of the saddle horn was still there over 12 hours later. No, I didn't go to the ER - in fact I drove my BF and I home. I had my license and she didn't.

Driving down a 2 lane highway south of Atlanta the Friday after Thanksgiving years ago. Drunk driver was in my lane, northbound, and passed me on the right - yeah right side. The other person in the car steered the car off the road and around me, but came back onto the road and hit the car behind me head-on. Three people died in that car. My car was smaller and I most definitely would have died.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Small airplane crash. We had been river rafting in Hell's Canyon in Idaho, when wildfires swept through the area and we had to evacuate. We were bussed up to a hay field on the rim of the canyon where 10 small planes were waiting. They wanted to put my daughter in one plane and my husband and myself in another, but I had a weird feeling about that and made someone trade places so my husband flew with my daughter.

On takeoff, the turbo charger in the plane (Cessna 210 T) failed. We could still fly, but the plane couldn't really climb, being fully loaded. We flew along below the rim of the canyon looking for a place to put down, but found nothing. As a private pilot myself, I watched the manifold pressure drop, and knew we were in more trouble than anyone thought.The pilot decided to try to climb out in a spot where the canyon was the widest. Just as we crested the rim, the engine seized and stopped. We picked a hayfield and set up for an emergency dead stick landing. The field was very young hay growing on the side of a hill, with streams of irrigation water running through the rolls and swales. Everything we according to proceedure, until or wheels touched down. We were bounced back into the air by a roll in the field, and when we touched down again, it was in a soggy area. The landing gear sunk into the soft ground and snapped off the fuselage. Then the propellors dug in, and flipped the plane. The poorly-maintained airplane was totaled. My seat belt stretched and the back of my head slammed into the top of the fuselage as we flipped. The plane came to rest upside down. Amber liquid ran over the plane and there was the smell of aviation fuel. Not sure if the liquid was fuel or not, I yelled to "get out" to my 4 other relatives in the plane. I had suffered a "neck stinger" and my hands weren't working, but I was able to hook a thumb under the buckle to release my belts. The doors wouldn't open due to crushing so we had to kick them, and in the back they had to kick out the windows to get out. The elderly pilot was disoriented, so we had to get him out too. I shut off the electricals to decrease chances of a fire. We scrambled up the field, away from the plane.

As we looked around, the only sign of life was a house several miles away. After about 5 minutes, one of the other 9 planes that had been at the pick-up point flew over. We had been talking to them as problems were occuring and told them where we were going to go down. After another 10 minutes or so, we saw a truck driving down a dirt road. He stopped and got out on the running board and looked at us from a mile or two away, then drove into the field. He got out, moseyed over to us and asked "you folks with this plane?" Uh, yeah.... "You ok?" Not too sure, but we're alive.... I had a large chunk of scalp missing from the back of my head and was bleeding like a slaughtered pig. The pilot had a cut above his eyebrow. My hands still wouldn't work.

20 minutes later a Forest Service crew arrived who had been working support for the fire crews. A civilian ambulance crew from a tiny town "nearby" came and they loaded the pilot and me up. They took us to the nearest hospital, which was a room at the local nursing home. Once the one person who could operate the machine had been called to come in, they did an xray of my neck and then took me off the backboard I had been strapped to for quite awhile.

We went to the local airfield and had to get into another small plane to fly back to Boise. Had I not had a brain injury, I would have refused to get into another plane owned by these people.

It turned out that I had a serious brain trauma caused by shear damage, and lost the ability to think of the words I wanted to say, spell, sense time passing or add or subtract. It was nearly a year before I was mostly back to myself, and my memory has never returned to the level it had been before.

1 members found this post helpful.

Not as thrilling (?) as many of your tales.... dudes, y'all are some lucky bad asses.

I've told the whole story a million times on this forum alone.

I accidentally drove my beloved, sainted first horse directly into a deep & sheer walled swamp. In the dark. Miles & miles from the barn. Alone. I slipped off him in the havoc of the fall and went under him. I remember legs thwacking and thrashing and breathing in thick, syrupy water. It happened so quickly; the breath I was in the middle of in that stride just kept going under water. Air was not an option. I was under 1000 pounds of confusion- but the sainted gelding waited for me. I remember a leg flying past and reaching up. I found his neck and latched on. He carefully but quickly dragged himself out the way we'd come in with his front legs spread wide to avoid stepping on me, and then I'm fairly certain I blacked out for a moment; I came to puking up stagnant water, with his nose by my side. I was not OK for quite some time after that and haven't any sort of recollection of how I got back on, but I did, and sprawled on his neck bawling the whole way back to the barn, the route to which he selected with zero influence from me.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

7 members found this post helpful.

I was hit by an 18 wheeler in 1991. Killed one aussie there, and one died months later from injuries. 2 17 yr old cats and another dog and I survived. My life did NOT flash before my eyes. But I was then cognizant of the fact that I might not live to 80s and 90s like the rest of my family.

That was my 2nd seminal moment. The death of a friend was.the first. When I was in my late teens in college, one summer a friend (walking home from the library) was hit and killed by a driver who ran a red light here. My boyfriend and I were coming back from the beach when it happened. I sat at her funeral and thought how she didn't date, studied hard, and was going to be a doctor like her father was. Anne's death changed my perspective on life. After she was buried in her white casket, I decided I'd not put off a lot of things that I thought I'd have time for later.

Kicked in the face in '86. 3" from my temple. Since most of the concussive force was to my jaw & cheekbone it was 3 days in the hospital instead of just dead.

I was nearly t boned by an 18wheeler on a snowy, icy road as it tried to make an out-of-turn left at an intersection while I was going straight. It was stopped at the top of the hill, but came down way too fast, and so could not stop. But rather than keep going straight, it tried to turn left, directly into my path! I still to this day cannot believe that I missed getting slammed by that thing, it was So Close to the window of my truck, but somehow, it was nothing but a near miss. Don't know if I really "almost died," probably not, but it sure felt like it at the time.

I do have a "helmet saved my life" story though, I was riding bareback and nothing really happened, other than I was cantering around a corner in a poorly maintained indoor, and I just lost my balance and slid off the side, only I flipped over and landed directly on my head. On what amounted to a handful of arena dirt over concrete. Smashed the h@ll out of my helmet, literally cracked it in half, I guess, the covering on both sides was still intact but the thing moved when you squeezed/pulled on it.
    Last edited by jump4me; Jan. 1, 2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Way to go, dumbphone!