The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How close have you ever come to dying?

I remembered for the first time in years today that once when I was young and reasonably stupid I really nearly died. I was riding in a little pick-up truck with DH my then boyfriend, I was riding in the middle of the front (no real seat, just sitting there) and DH's youngest brother was driving with his learner's permit. We were going through a construction zone after dark on a rainy summer night and weren't speeding but it was a 35 zone, crammed between all the concrete barriers and cones like a video game and I remember FBIL looking at FDH talking for an instant while I was looking forward and suddenly there was a piece of huge paving equipment there-right in front of us, nothing but reflectors and FBIL wasn't looking to see-I reached over and grabbed the wheel and thank heavens FBIL didn't fight me for it b/c we barely clipped that machine as we went around it...he didn't let off the gas until we were past! I remember six hands on the wheel as we pulled to a slow 10 mph and started freaking out. We called the highway patrol and they said they had already had calls-the crew accidently left the machine in the traffic lane. Had I looked away for a minute-I'd have become one with that machine, we all would have. five kids never would have been... strange to think about now! Always makes me feel grateful for the 20 years since when I think about how bad that could have been for so many people...

other near brushes? Not trying to be morbid or out of line, just thinking...

Car accident at 18. Broke my neck, severely damaged my hand, terrible concussion. Would have been air lifted, but it wasn't possible due to the land layout near the accident. In the hospital for a week, rehab for several years later, seven surgeries on the hand. Was really just lucky that there wasn't more brain injury or swelling.

That's as close as I'd like to get.

Heart procedure gone wrong. Kept me under for 10 hours. Couldn't wake me up. Blood clot. IVs went bad. Couldn't find a vein. What was supposed to be an out patient procedure was a 5 day stay in the ICU. When I opened my eyes and realized I was in the ICU with several docs at the end of the bed looking at me I realized how bad it must have been.

Healthy all my life, then had a heart attack about 60.
    That is as close as you can get to dying for me and that was close enough.

Thankfully, only slight damage to heart, easy to handle with medication.

No signs of heart disease, took three weeks of tests to find out I had a rare heart defect, that kind that kills kids playing basketball, but no one had ever caught it before.

Some people are running around lucky all their lives and don't know it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Badly sprained ankle and the resultant inactivity lead to a blood clot, which lead to a pulmonary embolism about five years ago. Got stupid about going to Emergency, but finally went. Was in the hospital for a week, not allowed out of bed, even to go to the bathroom, because the remainder of the clot was still in my leg. I was pretty scared when I realized that my reluctance to seek help could have killed me. And, I was darn lucky that I came out of that episode and had no lasting damage.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Badly sprained ankle and the resultant inactivity lead to a blood clot, which lead to a pulmonary embolism about five years ago. Got stupid about going to Emergency, but finally went. Was in the hospital for a week, not allowed out of bed, even to go to the bathroom, because the remainder of the clot was still in my leg. I was pretty scared when I realized that my reluctance to seek help could have killed me. And, I was darn lucky that I came out of that episode and had no lasting damage.
    Lost a friend to a PE this year--similar story to yours. Broke his ankle, threw a clot. Healthy guy in his 30s I'm glad you're still here, Louise.

2 members found this post helpful.

When I was little, my step mom picked us up and on some lonely road was patiently waiting for a car to turn left in front of us. Dump truck behind us crunched the little trunk into nothing (I was asleep in the back seat). Now that I think about that and my dad's "accident", no wonder I have trouble with trucks behind me.

Other than that, taking a header off my mare last summer on asphalt was probable the other closest. Thankfully, I ducked and rolled. Lots of road rash and still a bad zing to the head but I'm not dead. And helmet from here on out, per SO's request and my realization that I'm not Teflon.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I drowned when I was 4. it was Easter and I had my pretty dress and white patent leather shoes on. Lived in an apartment complex that had a pool. My mom was baking an Easter Bunny coconut cake, so my cousin and I decided to go play by the pool. We sat on the diving board and had a contest to see who could stick their toe furthest in the water. My cousin (who was 6 and much taller) won. Well, I couldnt live with that and went back later on my own, and yep, I fell in. It was very cold that Easter and thankfully a neighbor noticed the splash and jumped over the chain link fence, breaking two bones in the process. I remember thinking that it was so cool that you could breathe water, and I remember the white concrete walls going up as I was going down. Woke up a day later in the hospital.
    I would like to thank Boyd Dough, because I would not be here today if not for him, may he rest in peace.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

10 members found this post helpful.

Almost drown when I was 8. Can still relive it in my mind at 42. Never cared for swimming after that happened.

Hydroplaned into a northbound Kenworth in a Mazda. Had enough time to think 'well **** that's all I get, 22 years" and then I lived. The trucker and I caught up that night when he found my room at the hotel and hugged me- I was his daughter's age, he said, and he just knew I was going to die.

broke a bone in one finger, and that's all.

Ruptured my spleen coming off a horse when I was 16. I passed out a few minutes after the fall from the internal bleeding and got a nice helicopter ride to shock trauma.

I was also born a pretty early preemie (nearly 2 exact months before my due date) so I guess I've had two brushes. I would really prefer not to have any more. :shudders:

Kat that story, even this little short version of it, still makes me tear up!

mroades-my FIL had a similar experience caught underwater in a log jam when he was young and he said the same thing, how strange it is that you can breath water. He said it didn't hurt and he wasn't scared and then all of a sudden it was over and he was back out. Bless that kind man that saved you...

I would say it's happened to me twice. The first was something similar to the OP's situation. Years ago I was coming home from work on I95/295 and there was a place where traffic sort of merged in and out as people moved to the left or the right, think of a very long X.

I wanted to get to the right and was looking over my shoulder for a place to merge doing about 65mph. I looked up and I swear no more than 200 feet in front of me was a car stopped dead in the middle of the right hand traffic lane. Driven by an older man with a passenger in his car. He had his freaking turn signal on. He wasn't even on the little striped area, he was stopped. In the traffic lane. On I freaking 95.

To this day I don't know how we didn't all die. I had a little 72 Nova with a 3 speed on the column. I managed to hit the clutch, downshift, hit the horn, duck to the left, and get a look at his face as I flew by him with no more than 2 feet to spare. Luckily no one was on my left, I didn't look, I didn't have time. If I had hit him at that speed we'd have all gone up in flames. As soon as I was able I exited and pulled into a parking lot. I had to sit there for 15 minutes until I stopped shaking. (they changed the traffic pattern there at least a dozen years ago, too many crashes).

The second was when I had my son. I really didn't know how bad off I was but when it was all over I remember the doctor was sewing me up and he was asking for "some more of those 2x4's". So I asked him, "what the hell are you putting me back together with?" Well everyone in the room cracked up, I mean really laughed hard. I thought I was sort of clever but not that funny.

The next day one of the delivery room nurses came to see how I was doing. She told me I had gone into acute renal failure, my BP was through the roof, and they thought they might lose me. Apparently when I made a wise ass joke they realized that I was probably going to be OK and they just started to laugh. There was a reason for why the delivery was so tough but that's another topic.

I was diagnosed with type I diabetes 21 years ago at the age of 5. I got really sick with what my pediatrician thought was a stomach virus. I was vomiting severely, and couldn't keep anything down. The pediatrician advised my parents to give me gatorade and pedialyte in order to keep me hydrated. In the span of about 10 days, I had lost 17 lbs (I started around 45 lbs, so losing this much weight was alarming).

I have a very clear memory of "watching" my dad pour buckets of water on my body next to our swimming pool the day that my parents finally said "eff this pediatrician, we're going to the ER". "Watching" like, from above, and like I felt better and wasn't sick anymore. When I arrived at the ER, I was in diabetic ketoacidosis, and my blood glucose levels were so high, they could not measure them with the hospital machines (thanks to all the gatorade and pedialyte I had been drinking). Thankfully, within 24 hours, I was stable.

I don't think there's any way to measure if that was an actual close-to-dying experience, but I was very sick before my diagnosis.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

Was hanging off the side of a bolting horse trying not to fall off when I t-boned a fence post (RR tie). The ER doc said I'd be dead if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. Ended up with a concussion, broken tailbone, and amnesia.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

I don't think I would have ever delivered my first child without a C section. I'm convinced one or probably both of us would not have made it. It was VERY obvious it wasn't even close to happening
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

How many times?
    1. Staph infection before they could figure out what was wrong I had a BP of
    52/28 and dropping.
    2. Complete Bowl obstruction with gangegreen had to have inards reconstructed.

Hubby on the other hand was
    1. crushed by 18,000 pounds from his chest up and lived to tell about it.
    2. was hit right dead center in the throat with a piece of balljoint cut his throat wide open esphogus swelled, Thank god balljoint was hot as it cartarized the cut and just missed his carotid.
    3. Is a seven year BC survivor.

1 members found this post helpful.

I hope Mr gdolapp is buying lottery tickets! LoL holy cow! both of you!

My second equine accident.

Long story short, my horse spooked at another horse spooking in a pasture next to we were and I ended up with a broken leg. Ambulance out to the field in 30 degree weather (got COLD when they had to cut the boot and pant leg off, then take my jacket off to try and find a vein for IVs ....). Anyways - end up at the local trauma center's ER where they tell me the leg will need surgery. I was disappointed, but I had actually been through a similar accident just months prior to this with another horse (and other leg) so I was familiar with what would happen. I was even feeling more at-ease/confident as I was told the surgeon would be the same one who had operated on a friend of mine (and done a stellar job).

Surgery itself went fine, from what they tell me. I actually have very little recollection of the day or two after the surgery as apparently in the hours post-surgery, my oxygen levels continued to decrease, while my heart rate continued to skyrocket. My mother told me later that I began to have blue lips and fingertips since my O2 was so low. I had tests to rule out clots (it's actually those tests that are the first things I can remember from that recovery). While nothing was ever conclusive, the best theory they could come up with was possible "mini-PE/PEs" as that was consistent with the symptoms. I was SO thrilled when I finally got to go home - none of us expected that sort of outcome from a "simple" orthopaedic surgery!

Wow what stories .. there's enough of you for a club here.

I had open heart surgery back in 1965. I was born with a VSD and back then they weren't doing the surgery on humans yet. The hole got quite large over the15 yr wait until I finally had the correction. During the surgery I had the very vivid sensation of free falling in a tunnel and I knew that I was going to land on a bed of feathers, that's how relaxed I felt about it. When I came to the doctors were quizzing me. I always wondered why, found out later that they had lost me on the table. I've never actually feared death since then. I think in most cases it would be peaceful.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

2 members found this post helpful.