The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Making a saddle pad - what to use for batting/padding?

I'm a rather experienced seamstress and thought I'd try my hand at making a saddle pad. Plus I wanted something that wasn't a plain color.

My issue is that I have no idea what to use for batting/padding between the top layer and bottom layer of the saddle pad. I'll be making a quilted dressage square pad. Top layer is a printed cotton, bottom layer is cotton flannel.

Ideally, I want some cushion but nothing too thick. Anyone have any experience and/or recommendations? TIA!

1 members found this post helpful.

Felt?

You can use foam. Like 1/4". That's what I've used to make pads. Once you quilt it, it flattens a bit.

I will tell you, unless you have an industrial machine, it will not be super easy.

This pad was homemade, modeled after the high point dressage pad:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56...d82508cef6.jpg

Foam holds heat...i would use cotton or fiber filling.

What about something like quilt batting? You can find it at a fabric store.

spacytracy, I don't have an industrial machine. Foam would be nice but, like you said, may be difficult to work with. I'll have to look at the pic at home (work blocks photo-sharing sites...boo).

I've worked with quilt batting before and its user-friendly. But the stuff I used was really really thin, like 1/16" thick. Is there anything thicker than that?

and quilt batting won't hold up to repeated washings, ask me how I know! :-)

as to the batting:: poly is warmer, but cotton breathes better. you just won't be able to find a cotton that will be thick enough to provide and real cushioning under the saddle. at least not any of the cotton battings I'm familiar with, as a quilter....

I've thought about making my own, but I played around for a while with making my own pillow wraps, and I couldn't find a fill that would stand up to repeated washings, and the amount of time/supplies it took to make them >>> purchasing them premade was the less expensive option.

Correct. You can't really find cotton batting that is thick enough, which is why I went with the foam. Can't attest to the heat, as it's only used for shows, but after inspecting some of my torn pads, many of them were filled with foam too. And I never noticed a problem.

I've seen photos of saddle pads where the maker purchased a ready-made less expensive pad and overlaid a printed cotton fabric over the top. New binding around the edge and viola! a new pad.

I have made my own saddle pads and have sewed them in 2 ways:
    using a quilting cotton batting - and out of fleece, with flannel on the back.

I have looked at some of the saddle pads, I've looked at a quilted store-bought one and it certainly looked like cotton batting.

have you heard of Suitablilty.com? this is an equestrian pattern company and is really neat. I believe there were links to several fabric companies.

Also, I never used the foam, the kind you can buy at Jo-Anns because it looked like it would flatten once quited down. I believe there is a stiffer foam, but I don't know where you can buy it.

in the end, I purchased my saddle pads.

I've used quilt batting (poly seems to hold up ok), it does make a thinner pad (similar to a baby pad), but it can be layered if need be. If the saddle fit is correct, a baby pad is all you need.

I've made a few and I finally started making them with an "envelope" portion on the bottom where I could slip in foam on either side of the spinal area and take it out to wash.

I'm one of those who buys a cheaper pad, takes the binding off, sews on cool fabric and puts on new binding.

Go the Pendelton Wool outlet nearest you and buy a heavy weight, second quality wool blanket. Cut the blanket into the sizes and shapes necessary for your project. Use mulitple layeers if desired.

You can also buy lighter weight wools and use multiple layers by design. This can be an advantage as it gives the pad a "laminate structure" that is particularly good at absorbing lateral movement.

I'm not a fan of foams. Foam is a chemical product that continues to "cure' over its lifetime, usually getting harder (and less resilient).

Cotton blankets can also be used.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'm going to have to do some research now.

I made pillow wraps using the Nu foam (which is for outdoors and dries faster than regular foam). My home machine goes through the 1/2 inch okay. For saddle pads, I have tried multiple layers of batting with quilting, but it goes flat after awhile, even with the high loft batting. So now it's a sandwich of the outer material quilted to a cotton batting, the lining quilted to a cotton batting, then foam in the middle. Add binding, then tack the foam in place with the billet and girth straps and a line of stitching along the top, through all layers.

flowersmom2, I was wondering about doing multiple layers of batting. Your experience with that is exactly my fear. Thanks for sharing! Now I have even more to think about.

How about cotton towels? Old ones, new ones. I have made pot holders with older 100% cotton towels on the inside, and fancy stuff on the outside.

I've made two saddle pads, and for the inside I bought some pre-quilted cotton batting. I'm not sure what it's technical name is, but it is batting sandwiched between two layers of thin cotton fabric, and then it's quilted. It's worked great and held up fine in the wash. I have some pictures on FB if anyone wants to see them.

I love the idea of just recovering a boring pad though! I might try that next.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

I've made two saddle pads, and for the inside I bought some pre-quilted cotton batting. I'm not sure what it's technical name is, but it is batting sandwiched between two layers of thin cotton fabric, and then it's quilted. It's worked great and held up fine in the wash. I have some pictures on FB if anyone wants to see them. I have the most trouble getting the binding to go on smoothly.

I love the idea of just recovering a boring pad though! I might try that next.
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products