The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool So what kinda music do you like?

Any particular bands/singers?

I'm stupidly eclectic myself. I listen to classical/opera to big band to house to rap to vocalists fron the 30's/40's. And most of what's in between that.

I love Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra, Ruth Etting, Judy Garland, Paul Whiteman, Fats Waller, LMFAO, Die Antwoord, Eminem, Rachmaninoff, N*E*R*D, Patsy Cline, Tommy Dorsey and a whole swack of others.

You?
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

Smooth jazz!

I was raised on old country and bluegrass. I'm not super picky and like many different genres. When choosing to listen to music I typically ask two questions: Can I understand the lyrics? and Do I want to understand the lyrics?
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Old fudly-dudly classical, high baroque first, then the rest.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

anything but country, opera or green day
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

I like a lot of different genres. My "everyday" music is rock - especially classic rock (think 60s, 70s, 80s). I also listen to classical, and enjoy choral music, but not so much Opera. Recently, I've been listening to Sirius/XM's Spectrum and have discovered some other voices, but I'm generally not partial to "pop" or country.

I've been hearing a group called the Dawes on Spectrum. Pretty good band, but what I thought was interesting is that when I first heard them, I could've sworn I was listening to Jackson Browne (a favorite of mine). Lead singer sounds very similar, the guitar and other instrumental work similar, and lyrics Jackson Browne could've written! I still do a bit of a double take when I hear the Dawes song about LA.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Bluesy, I love the blues First in my heart is Steve Ray Vaughan, then from him I discovered Buddy Guy, Shemeika Copeland, Jonny Lang, BB, Susan Tedeschi.

Thanks to Ponygrandma's posting of the Kennedy Center Honors, I have discovered Beth Hart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALdOkf_eCM Wow, girl got it!

I'm also a huge Pearl Jam fan.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Lately I'm into kirtan - Krishna Das and Snatam Kaur, mostly - and some other yoga-type, New Age music. I pretty much always have that on around the house - it keeps me calm and mellow!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I like a little bit of almost everything - country, pop, rock, indie, alternative, classical, opera - but my favorite group hands down is The Airborne Toxic Event.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Mostly 90s alternative and metal. Classic rock, some folk, older country, choral (especially during the holidays), 80s pop, some hip hop and rap.

My favorite bands are Tool and Animal Collective. Username is a System of a Down album.

I mainly listen to classical, Delta blues, big band Artie Shaw, old jazz, and lately my daughter has me listening to Nina Simone, Bon Iver, and Citizen Cope.

My current favorites are Enter the Haggis, The Elders, Hair of the Dog, and Leahy, all Irish/Celtic bands, and the Abrams Brothers, a bluegrass group.

I'll listen to lots of stuff but I mostly listen to rock, metal, and alternative. Some of my faves are Avenged Sevenfold, Disturbed, and Slipknot.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    Bluesy, I love the blues First in my heart is Steve Ray Vaughan, then from him I discovered Buddy Guy, Shemeika Copeland, Jonny Lang, BB, Susan Tedeschi.

Thanks to Ponygrandma's posting of the Kennedy Center Honors, I have discovered Beth Hart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fALdOkf_eCM Wow, girl got it!

I'm also a huge Pearl Jam fan.
    Some of my favorites! Add in Marcia Ball
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Put me in the eclectic category, as well! My music library is pretty wide ranging...mostly consists of pop stuff (I know it's crap, but I like it!), quite a bit of instrumental music, soft rock, some rap, lots of folk music, some alternative, some jazz, some classical, even a dubstep song or two....

I just can't do country or screamo/hard rock/anything that falls into my category of loud banging and scream-singing, aka headache-inducing.

I'll probably get judged for my angsty teen music taste, but I love Eminem, Panic! At The Disco, Fall Out Boy has saved my life, The Brobecks, Pierce The Veil, Sleeping With Sirens, Of Mice & Men, Passion Pit, The Killers, Dave Matthews... that's just the ones off the top of my head. Oh, and Imogen Heap.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

Very eclectic and a bit of a snob too (not really open to new stuff). CCR, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Classical, Chili Peppers, SOAD, Rage Against the Machine, Pantera, Megadeth, Rammstein, Dio, Enigma, Korn, Zombie--the Lithium channel on Sirius, but that's deemed "inappropriate" where I work and that's the only place I listen to it. Then there are a few songs by random artists that I'll listen to on Youtube (Electric Six's Danger High Voltage for example). Hate today's country music!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Easier to list what I don't like: opera, rap, hip hop, that computerised crap that is pop and new country and jazz; everything else is fine with me
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Eclectic here too. I like pretty much all styles except for what I think is "noise" not music, i.e rap, elektro, house music, screamo, hard rock etc. etc.
    Not too fond of opera either except for a few specific songs.
    I don't have a favorite singer of band.
    I tend to go back to world music, reggae, African, blues, bluegrass...right now in my stereo: Mumford&Sons, Classical Guitar, The Silencers, Urban Africa, and Cold Play.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
    When choosing to listen to music I typically ask two questions: Can I understand the lyrics? and Do I want to understand the lyrics?
    This is a major criteria for my music. I listen to almost anything, but I can't stand Rap. My favorite by far is Rush and I generally prefer hard rock, but country is mostly ok. I dispise songs with highly repetitive lyrics (I Shot the Sherriff causes a VERY quick channel change or muting).

Christa