The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Females - hair falling out

Hi all. I am mid thirties, female, healthy as far as I know. I've always had lots of thick, dark, wavy/curly hair. LOTS of it.

The past 6 months or so, I've noticed that a lot of it has been falling out in the shower and when I comb it. A lot more then usual; like small handfuls. I have to clean the drain every time. I still look like I have a lot of thick hair, and no one else notices, except me. I feel like it looks thinner, especially at the top. I'm starting to get worried.

I've started taking Omega 3 caps; I figured it works for the horses, maybe it will help me.

Anyone else had to deal with this??? What did you do?

How's your thyroid? I lost quite a bit of my hair when my thyroid crapped out on me. In addition to the thyroid meds, I take biotin. That seems to help my hair thicken up a bit, but it doesn't make it grow back
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

I'd have to go get it checked. I don't have any other symptoms though. Maybe a little tired, but that's more life then anything else.

I have gone this a few times in my life. The first time, I would literally cry everytime I took a shower because clumps would be coming out. I went to my GP and my OB and both ran a battery of tests and couldn't find anything. They finally decided it was stress-related and my OB recommended prenatal vitamins.

I've started using that Clear shampoo that Heidi Klum recommends and it seems to have helped some - if nothing else, it makes it feel thicker.

Good luck - the worst was that the docs told me to stop stressing so much, but I was stressing about losing my hair - in addition to everything else! It was a vicious cycle.

1 members found this post helpful.

your thyroid needs a welfare check!

Have you been really sick in the last 3 to 6 months? That will do it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Are you on any medications? Have you dramatically changed your diet? Are you getting enough protein? Have you had anesthesia? Have you been sick?

And it's probably time to get an general checkup, including thyroid tests. And if you've had flu or anything else that can do it too. I've noticed that my hair seems to shed spring and fall, just like the animals (I know I'm weird, but it's just my pattern). And my hair grows faster when it's hot and humid too, so it might be a winter thing, with the dry air too. The dry winter air during heating season makes a difference in how my hair feels, and when it's not as humid my hair lays flatter than when it's humid and I get a little more body.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I will see about making an appointment to get my thyroid checked. I don't have a GP in this area, so it's sort of a production to get it set up through the insurance.

No major illnesses or anesthesia, at least not recently. It has been a very stressful time, so that is most likely the culprit - but how do I make that stop???

Jo - Did the prenatal vitamins work for you?

Ugh. It is frustrating, and I did cry about it the other day. I saw a recent photo taken of me, and it was very obvious to me that my hair was thinner then usual.

What are the family genetics? I can look at my siblings and see where I am going. Thin hair is normal.
    Lots of woman at work wear wigs, modest short wigs and I'm beginning to think it's professional.

I honestly didn't notice a huge difference with the prenatal vitamins, but it's worth a shot until you can get into your GP. I think the vitamins helped my nails more than my hair!

Oh - the other thing I did was cut my hair short - like chin length? It helped to take some of the weight off (even though I have thin, fine hair) and a shorter cut helped it to look fuller.

Ditto to others on getting your thyroid checked and ruling out other things...

I've had this happen twice from stress---in my early 30s from being a basket case studying for my doctoral orals and earlier this year after losing a fair bit of weight from a low carb diet pretty quickly. Both times I freaked out as it seems to go on forever (in reality both times it lasted about 3 months)! Both times it grew back!

Here's what I gleaned from online searches that seemed to fit with the pattern of my hair loss episodes (I did see doctors both times but found no other issues--and by the way, it took me awhile to look back and recognize the stressors) : if hair loss is somehow (mentally or physically) stress-related, it can be from a disruption in the pattern of resting/growing phases. When you see tons falling out, the trigger has already occurred and you're seeing the result (so that should mean you're past the stress and on the rebound?).

nice scholarly source: http://www.ccjm.org/content/76/6/361.full
    quicko Yahoo summary (#1): http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/PVN/6...sing-your-hair

It's no fun and hard not to stress about, I know! Can you think of an emotional/physical stress in the last 6 months that might have really taxed you (more than you realized)? I think we underestimate how hard stress can be on us because it seems to be a standard part of modern life. Hang in there & hope my story might ease your worries!

Back when I was having problems with my pancreas and my SED rate was up, my hair was falling out. Any chance you have some inflammatory activity going on somewhere in your body?

A few years ago I had terrible food poisoning. The doctor said it wasn't run of the mill food poisoning, but more like the third world country variety. I lost a ton of hair after that, but most of it came back in over time. Scared me to death on many levels...only time I've ever been in intensive care, first ambulance ride, etc. I have low thyroid, too, so take medication for that. Layered haircut helps, too, as well as mousse and gel. It stinks, but at least I survived.

It is rare but hair loss can also be caused by an autoimmune condition which is genetic called alopecia areata. With alopecia you lose hair in patches. I have it and would lose a patch or two every year or so (and it was treated with cortisone shots in the affected area) until I was 30 when all my hair fell out. It took some getting used to!

I've gone through this twice now. Both times had pretty obvious stress triggers and about 3 months or so after the period of extreme stress, my hair started falling out an alarming rate. I lost about a third of my hair the first time. I'm fortunate to have a LOT of thick hair so no one really noticed, except me and my hair dresser.

As someone mentioned, the hair loss is actually a signal of new hair growth. My hair came back in baby soft and curly; that was interesting. Over time the texture went back to normal - coarse-ish and wavy.

I wasn't quite as wigged out (sorry, lol) the second time, but it's is still unnerving even if you're fairly sure it will come back.

It's definitely worth your time to get your thyroid checked as well.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Did you go on a very strict diet? Or dramatically cut back on the amount of protein in your diet? Changes in hormone levels can do it too. When the estrogen levels go down in menopause, or after childbirth there can be loss of body and head hair. Have you noticed any changes in female matters, or had any changes in other hormonal matters? Did you gain or lose a lot of weight? Did your skin dry out (thyroid related sometimes), or do you feel very hot or cold indoors when others are just fine? That can be thyroid too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

BTDT. In my case I had been sick for a very, very long time, undiagnosed. Once I was cured it took almost two years to regrow it and it is not the same type of hair. Oh well.

I did use it as an opportunity to try new hairstyles ans that was fun. In fact, I had the cutest hair I have EVER had during this time. So try to make the best of it while you figure out what is going on!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I have had issues like this too. In fact currently am going through it. Like you, I have always had lots of hair. So the first time I asked the doctor about it he didnt really see it as I still had plenty of hair! He did some tests, but basically blamed hormonal changes and/or stress. Eventually it stopped and mostly grew back.

This time, I am not sure if it is stress or something more. As I am in late 50s, I dont know what is normal aging and what is not. In addition to hair loss, I have less/thinner arm hair and (on the bright side) have to shave legs and underarms much less frequently. I will see my doctor in February for a regular checkup and will ask then.

What has seemed to help has been Garnier Fall Fight. It was a "whatthehell" purchase when I saw it on sale. For whatever reason, my hair loss has slowed down a lot. Eventually I will try another shampoo and conditioner to see if it really made a difference or if it was just coincidence. For now I am happy to take a shower without having to clear the drain of hair halfway through!

Yes, been struggling with it. Drs found nothing wrong. It's been going on for years and definitely gets worse with stress. But in my case I think there's a hereditary component. My mom says she has the same thing and I'd just never noticed it.
    I try to take multi-vitamins.
    I keep my hair about shoulder-length and don't over-condition to keep some volume.
    I actually started using Women's Rogaine. Never thought I'd need that!! It hasn't been very long but it does seem to help.
    My hair has also gotten very fine over the years, like baby hair.
    And I used to have gorgeous, wavy hair. Think Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" when I styled it!! Oh well. Nothing like that now!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!