The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ASPCA get hoisted by its own petard... Or how a good org. goes bad.

VIENNA, Va., Dec. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ – Feld Entertainment, Inc., the producer of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Circus, announced today that the company has reached a legal settlement with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) in connection with two federal court cases. Under the settlement, ASPCA has paid Feld Entertainment $9.3 million to settle all claims related to its part in more than a decade of manufactured litigation that attempted to outlaw elephants in the company’s Ringling Bros. ® Circus. This settlement applies only to the ASPCA. Feld Entertainment’s legal proceedings, including its claims for litigation abuse and racketeering, will continue against the remaining defendants, Humane Society of the United States, the Fund for Animals, Animal Welfare Institute, Animal Protection Institute United with Born Free USA, Tom Rider and the attorneys involved.

“These defendants attempted to destroy our family-owned business with a hired plaintiff who made statements that the court did not believe. Animal activists have been attacking our family, our company, and our employees for decades because they oppose animals in circuses. This settlement is a vindication not just for the company but also for the dedicated men and women who spend their lives working and caring for all the animals with Ringling Bros. in the face of such targeted, malicious rhetoric,” said Kenneth Feld , Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Feld Entertainment.

As the Wall Street Journal rightly comments: “The case is an example of how the ASPCA has become increasingly politicized and much different from the nice outfit that looks out for the well-being of homeless and lovable dogs and cats.” Why the ASPCA decided to throw it its lot with the extremist animal rights activists is something donors of all size should be asking its board of directors. And a staff purge should follow.

7 members found this post helpful.

I hope those actors etc who are used in shilling commercials for ASPCA and HSUS are paying attention.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

3 members found this post helpful.

I bet the number of those commercials will increase dramatically. And this was a settlement, and there are more organizations still suing them. It's too bad the ASPCA stopped being an animal rescue and adoption agency for the NYC area, and became animal rights activists. I used to contribute, but then right at the end of the TV series they had the hoarder unit, and they would give some animals back to the hoarders, and that was the last straw for me.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Good. They are getting as bad as PETA. I hate their commercials and turn them off as soon as I hear Sarahwhatshername start wailing.
    You are what you dare.