The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default COTH Food/hay pantry?

In light of the many recent posts of COTHers in dire straits I was wondering if we have one? Do we need one? Ideas on how to set one up? I am willing to help coordinate/donate etc.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I haven't a clue how such a thing would be workable.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I was wondering the same thing; how to do it and how would it ever work...

My only thought is maybe a list of COTHers willing to help, what they can provide as far as food/hay/grain etc. and where they are located. Not an actual pantry but something more of an emergency list that people can contact and the moderator(s) of the list can contact people in their area for help.

If you want to give, look around you where you live.
    There is plenty of need there, real need.
    People that don't have anything, not horses, not land, not family or are looking after a family without anything.
    Don't even have a computer to post on.

I think there is already someone vetting horse rescues you can donate to, called "Special Horses" or something like that?
    I think that checking who is really, honestly that needy would be the first concern.

5 members found this post helpful.

Since we're all so far apart in and all four corners of the country, although it's a lovely idea, I don't know how it would be workable.

As far as I know, Special horses doesn't "vet" rescues. They have 3 or 4 that they donate to.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I could see a list being helpful, certainly there would be some people nowhere near anyone else but at least it could potentially have many areas covered. List categorized by city/state, so as not to be bothering people 1000 miles away, and contact them via PM or email.

Don't know if it'd work, but may be worth a try, if enough people were interested in participating.

Edit: don't think I worded that quite right. Wanted it to say more like, have a list of the city/state where there is someone willing to donate. Person in need would contact whoever's in charge of monitoring this, saying "I'm near Town, State and I need x" then the monitor would contact the donor. Not just an open list for anyone and theirbrother to go begging.
    Last edited by jump4me; Dec. 31, 2012 at 09:02 PM.

Make good plans, run it thru the Moderators and may even ask if they would make it a sticky, like for horses needing hauling, etc.

I know that I have more than I can give already around here, you can't believe how much need there is in our small corner of the world.
    This year we had people lose their houses in electrical and prairie fires, we had a rush of burglaries that cleaned some completely out, a local kid needed help to travel to get back surgery, at 14, a large family lost the father young to a heart attack and needed help then and later to move on to go live with her sister, the bank's Christmas Angel Tree was especially full this year with requests for help from the teachers and social workers for needy families and no one was left without, we saw to it.

Everyone around here has been chipping in more than years before, seems that we are going thru a run of bad things, hopefully will ease up some next year, but who knows.

There is always someone needing help, the need is non-ending if you look around you.
    Seems that COTH is no different, does it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Your right Bluey, there are a lot of people in need right now. With the drought I know it has been pretty bad in your area. I know I have donated to the a few local charities, and just some folks that needed a hand. I will think about it and right up a proposal for the mods. I think I could put together a simple spread sheet, I know it has been a tough few years for several of us, but judging by the response to the threads, there are a few that may be able to help out if they were close enough, and it may be less embarrassing to ask quietly behind the scenes than to put it in a post.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    In light of the many recent posts of COTHers in dire straits I was wondering if we have one? Do we need one? Ideas on how to set one up? I am willing to help coordinate/donate etc.
    I think this is a lovely idea and I would be happy to help you coordinate.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I think its a better idea just working on a case by case basis. Pretty easy to just find a feed store close by, call them and pay for some hay and feed to be delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

I know that I have more than I can give already around here, you can't believe how much need there is in our small corner of the world.
    it.
    same here, I was in one of the local surplus beard stores run by a local bakery looking for some deals.... which I did find... but noticed some obviously retired people counting out coins to see if they had enough money for their purchase.

Spoke to the store manager, gave her the money for their purchase and left additional money for her to use for others