The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Area 8 2013 Schedule & Changes (Title changed from Penny Oaks...)

So I was perusing the 2013 calendar and noticed that Penny Oaks is listed for early May. Big change from early August. I am thrilled as this really fills a void in the Area 8 early season. Any one know why the change??
    Last edited by Gryhrs; Jan. 12, 2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Thread deviated from original theme

May is when the unrecognized event usually is (Penny in the Park). A nice small event for the earlier part of the season. Penny Oaks recognized should still be listed as August per usual (can't remember what exact date right now - I know I already had it marked on my calendar though).
    I have Higher Standards... do you?

"For the love of my horse, I know who I am."

Quote Originally Posted by GutsNGlory View Post
    May is when the unrecognized event usually is (Penny in the Park). A nice small event for the earlier part of the season. Penny Oaks recognized should still be listed as August per usual (can't remember what exact date right now - I know I already had it marked on my calendar though).
    This is the thing! I don't see an August event listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryhrs View Post
    This is the thing! I don't see an August event listed.
    Weird! I could have sworn it was listed already... You might just email Kate to ask if you're trying to plan ahead

Okay... Yes, very weird that the USEA omnibus shows May for the recognized HT.

Last year when Penny Oaks had to change their weekend in August b/c of the military manuevers scheduled at the camp I 'think' that they lost their date, and or, they decided to move it for all the same reasons.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I had also heard that they moved Penny Oaks to May, it will have Starter level included. Does anyone know if they moved Penny in the Park to a different day?
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Jan. 2, 2013 at 06:16 AM.

Kate thought it would work better in May, so they moved it. Should be a good time!

I think it's great to have more options in the early months of the year rather than July/August when the ground is too hard to do any galloping or jumping.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was thrilled to see it had moved to May! Since I cannot show during the summer, it is perfect for me. There was a huge gap between Spring Bay and May Daze. Good for Kate!
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Will anything take its place in August?

I definitely understand Kate's thinking on this and having the event earlier in the year does have it's bonuses. But is there any chance there will be something similar to Penny in the Park still in the spring? That was one of the few relatively close unrecognized HTs in the beginning of the season. There are several CTs (like yours LAZ) but not as many HTs.

Last year they added an unrecognized "starter" division to Penny Oaks and will again this year. It will be cheaper then the recognized levels but more expensive then a regular unrecognized show because it takes place over two days.

Leg Up takes place in July at the HHP.

LAZ also has two one day HTs at her shows with full XC courses.

Dan Hobyn (now the school of horse engineering) had one HT last year but usually they have two.

Just a little sad to see an unrecognized HT disappear, esp at the HHP - with the facilities and the lovely xc course. And two recognized HTs in May (beginning and end of the month) will close the course for spring schooling. I also hope that it doesn't create a volunteer drain. I understand all the planning and conflicts.

We had planned on the Penny in the Park b/c of affordability so this changes things. Sure hate to see the loss of that just as it was developing, we need the family friendly affordable unrecognized events, esp at the HHP - it's a wonderful facility and has the xc course that has the big course feel and such easy interstate access.

It's a trek down to Louisville but they have a great series of summer shows.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Well, as far as unrecognized HT"s in the area I know Marcee has sent out her schedule for Centerline, I have two in Sheridan, there is Leg Up at the HHP, and I don't know if Jamie is planning on having any at SOHE, formerly known as Dan Hobyn.

Mine are are run to the standards outlined for recognized HT's but at much lower cost. I don't sanction them because I don't run a prelim HT's and I only have stabling for ~70 horses--I don't see it being profitable to go to the extra trouble.

It's expensive to rent the HHP & all attendent equipment (show jumps, flags, dressage rings, etc) to run (recognized or unrecognized) so unless someone wants to take on that risk I don't see more HT's happening there, sad but true.

That should be a good move to May, for all the above reasons. At least for us, it was a long break between Spring Bay and MayDaze.

Not sure how a central Indiana show in mud season makes sense, but ....... does help fill the schedule between Spring Bay and MayDaze.

Expected to negatively impact Greater Dayton. We've already lost one HT at Fairborn; hope this doesn't discourage Laura.

And while it's a distance away, and probably a different customer base, can't make Jackie very happy.

Overall, not a move I like personally. IMO.

At least two holes in the Area VIII August/September schedule now. Anyone care to step up to the plate? Can't hit a home run without swinging the bat.

1 members found this post helpful.

September is indeed a little sparse, but I don't like to go out much in July or August anyway due to the typically rock-hard ground. How I miss Maui Jim! They aerovated like crazy.
    Click here before you buy.

Agree with MJ sentiments - we went every year from 2003 until closure. Lots of fun, good courses, great sunglasses! We miss you, Flutie!

Any idea if the courses will reflect the date being early in the season? This would be great for those of us who can't get much XC schooling in very early or have horses planning to move up.

I thought this would be the case at Catalpa last year but unfortunately it was a bit stiff even in early May. Any insight is much appreciated!