The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Momentos from old friends? :(

My "first child", my precious older Husky/Shepherd mix will be put down some time between now and this summer. He is having a harder time getting around, he's stone deaf, he has lumps all over his body, and he's beginning to have trouble holding his bladder/poop. He hasn't quite yet told me it's "time", but it won't be another year I'm sure. He'll be 14 in August, he "owes me" nothing.

I know for horses you can do bracelets/keychains/etc with their hair, what can you do for a dog? Obviously I'll keep his collar. Honestly, I'll probably bury his food bowl with him, it's been his since he was a teeny puppy. Any suggestions? I'm heartbroken, my boy quite literally was the "test case" before I got pregnant! When I trained him to sit/stay/do tricks, I knew we were ready to handle a kid lol!

Awww sorry about your pup.

How about one of those do-it-yourself plaster paw imprints?

2 members found this post helpful.

Definitely the plaster paw prints! They have kits at Bed Bath & Beyond and online. Also consider a shadow box with a picture, the pawprint and his collar. You can also get a pawprint ornament kit so your boy will always be with you at Christmas.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

So sorry to hear about your dog.

I just had a sterling silver paw print necklace made for my daughter with her cat's paw print. The cat's name is inscribed on the back. Wish I had thought to have the date inscribed as well. It was very easy to have done. Cost just under $200. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I'm also having her do a ring for me with my horse's hair in resin. That might be a possibility as well.

http://galladesigns.com/index.html

The company is Galla Designs.
    Last edited by Come Shine; Dec. 31, 2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: added link

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, thank you so much! Stupid me never even thought of that, that's why it was on my mind to post this thread while he's still with me. I love my old man with all my heart, I will cry for days when the deed is done, but ultimately that's our responsibility to our pets; a peaceful passing. I'm tearing up now just typing this out, thanks for the suggestions and the kind words!

Are you planning on burying him on your property? Or cremation? If burying, along the lines of the plaster print, you can easily make one out of cement and bedazzle it with pretty rocks or stones from your yard or dollar store.

If cremation, and if you are handy you can build and then stain a beautiful box to hold his ashes. Or I'm sure you can buy one.

You could put a nice brass plaque on it, or burn his name and a thoughtful epitaph on it.

I bury my little critters when it's time, and I always buy and then plant a beautiful perennial flower or tree, or both! That is my favorite. When spring comes and the flowers bloom it makes smile.

You could clip some of his hair to put in a locket. I did the Plaster Paw Print before I had my dog out to sleep last year. ((((hugs))))

URL error.....

Eventgroupie2 makes wonderful sun catchers with the imagine of your dog or horse or cat. There are very few things which impress us warmbloods. But eventgroupie2's suncatchers impress us a lot.

I did a wonderful glass cast of my dogs paw. It starts like the plaster where they press the dogs paw into a sand cast. Then since it is filled with molten glass it ends up as a positive. when you hold it, it feels like you were holding the paw in your hand, but not as creepy as it sounds. Amazingly all the detail is there to the texture on his pads.

Do you have a glass place like this by you? The one I used is near me in Asbury Park, NJ. They have even done duck feet and a horse or two.

When we had our Golden cremated they sent a beautiful plaster print of her paw with her name on it. It also had a decorative border. They also sent a small ziploc baggie of her hair. My old Doxie just spent his last Christmas with us, most probably. My mom made a plaster cast of his paw for me this year. I also have a drawing of one of my old dogs. When my Mom's 2 dogs were older I spirited them away for a session with a pet photographer and had the best one framed for her and gave her the other prints in a book.

I am so sorry Dakotawyatt. I will be dealing with the same issue soon, as my 13.5 year old Weimaraner is aging quickly. I had never heard of the glass cast of the paw print. I need to look into that. Hugs to you as you deal with your dear friend's aging.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Okay, this is probably really out of the box, but I knew of a lady that made knitted goods out of dog hair. I used to work as a dog groomer and she would ask the manager to save the hair for her to pick up and use. To be honest, I think she made sweaters out of it, but a nicer momento might be a scarf. Since he's a husky, I am sure he can provide you with the necessary hair come spring, if he's still doing okay. I had a malamute/ shepard mix and I know the volume of hair these dogs can produce as they shed out!

I am really sorry that you feel that the time you have with your buddy is coming to an end. Its never easy having to face making that decision or seeing our old friends growing older...
    Last edited by ex-racer owner; Jan. 1, 2013 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank you guys again! I have never heard of the glass cast either, will have to look into that. My boy is so awesome, it breaks my heart to think about the inevitable, but I'm just enjoying every second with him I can. My other 2 are 3 and 5, so still plenty of time left there.

Trying the link again; HATE the new Photobucket
    http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user...tml?sort=3&o=0

you hace have "horsehair" potter jewelry made from his hair (it doesn't have to be horse hair to work). There are several artists on etsy
    also, glass blowers can add hair, ashes, you name it to a custom blown glass pendant
    you could have a portrait done of him. When my cat passed on I was really missing him and decided to paint his portrait. Now his image keeps me company in my office.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I had an urn made with my dog's hair similar to horse hair pottery. It turned out beautifully. The lady that made it is http://www.fromearthtoart.org/

The Christmas before I lost my old girl I had a plaster made of her paw. My vet also made one before they cremated her.

You can always have a diamond made out of some of the ashes or from some of the hair. Its expensive (it is a GIA certified diamond) but there are several companies that do them for a reasonable price.

Sorry your friend is getting old. Its hard to see them declining.