The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff; Why Aren't We Demanding Congress Abdicate Perks??

With all the talk of fiscal cliffs and all that, why hasn't anyone mentioned congressional members abdicate their perks that we pay for?

http://www.ntu.org/assets/pdf/ntuf/pp-131-cong.pdf
    Last edited by kathy s.; Dec. 31, 2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typos
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh, you know they are slaving away with only OUR best interests at heart. They deserve everything they get. I do so hope that one day payback will be hell.

6 members found this post helpful.

kathy s. is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hastyreply View Post
    Oh, you know they are slaving away with only OUR best interests at heart. They deserve everything they get. I do so hope that one day payback will be hell.
    Yeah, me too. This thread seems to be ignored so I suppose there is interest in only b*tching about congress instead of taking action to stop members from wasting our money any longer.
    Btw, Happy New Year!

1 members found this post helpful.

kathy--It's not being ignored. It's been addressed multiple times in other threads. You'll see all kinds of suggestions about what we should do to Congress in the reduce spending, increase income, thread.

They just got a raise thanks to an executive order. And of course, they are exempt from Obamacare, if I remember correctly.

They should abdicate their perks, but they ain't gonna.

4 members found this post helpful.

Hmm i always thought only Congress can give congress a raise. I believe the raise is .5 percent for federal workers. It does not include congress. It basically wasn't really a raise as much as the wage freeze from 2010 is now up.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.

No, not much of a raise. About $900 for the year. But yes, they are getting a raise via exec. order: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...se_692451.html

Nice, especially now when all our taxes are going up.

We are demanding plenty, no one is listening.

All we can do is keep making noise.

6 members found this post helpful.

Get facts straight. It's NOT a pay raise, and Obama cannot give anyone money. All he did was unfreeze a pay freeze. Only CONGRESS can spend money, and the 27th amendment says that if they give themselves a raise, there has to be an election between that vote and the raise so we can vote them out.

3 members found this post helpful.

It's also for the military and judges:
    http://www.opm.gov/oca/compmemo/2012/2013PAY_Attach.pdf

Congressional members CAN turn down the raise, which they should. IMO
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

SNL, did you read the exec order?

J-Lu, I'm not at all against it for the military. They fight for us. I don't know about the judges. I'll have to look into that. I do know that it was broader than just Congress.

But Obama's order mentioned Biden and Congress, (despite what SNL thinks). Really? They can't make any progress on the "Financial Cliff" but they get a raise? Well, ok, then. Guess we know who they thinks work for whom.

Why would Congress listen to us?

Just remember, you probably voted them in. The last few yrs, no matter what party is the incumbent, I refuse to vote for them. They had their chance and have blown it.

For that matter, NO congressperson should be allowed to sit more than 2 terms. The president only gets 2 terms so why should any of those in the House or Senate get more than 2?
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

kathy s. is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Just remember, you probably voted them in. The last few yrs, no matter what party is the incumbent, I refuse to vote for them. They had their chance and have blown it.

For that matter, NO congressperson should be allowed to sit more than 2 terms. The president only gets 2 terms so why should any of those in the House or Senate get more than 2?
    Yes, I too refused to vote for career politicians and I believe 2 terms is plenty. Having term limits would drastically reduce corruption and limit influence from special interest groups.

5 members found this post helpful.

There were some really good candidates for the last election but they never make it through to the "real" race due to lack of funds and exposure.

We need to get something on a ballot to limit political advertising to public funding so that the wealthy can not buy their way into office. All candidates get equal time and get to participate into debates. It should be like the playoffs, where if you do well, you advance to the next round. Nor determined by whether you have name recognition and money. Not determined by the current political machine who has determined whose turn it is to be senator or president or whatever.

But we don't get ballot questions for federal elections, do we? That means that the public never gets to vote to take away primo health insurance, pensions, vacations etc. Huh. funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    They just got a raise thanks to an executive order. And of course, they are exempt from Obamacare, if I remember correctly.

They should abdicate their perks, but they ain't gonna.
    I have no sympathy for the majority of members of Congress right now and believe they SHOULD be living less well than they are and doing their actual JOB of representing our interests to earn their pay and perqs. But, they are NOT excempt from Obamacare. In fact, as the bill reads, they are REQUIRED to participate in the exchange plans as their source of health insurance. They'll actually have less discretion than the rest of us.