The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rode my first endurance ride!

I did the 25 mile ride at High Roller on Saturday in Cat Springs, Tx! We finished in about 4 hours 45 min.

He had never been anywhere that busy before but really took it all in stride. He was really forward and a bit excited at the beginning of the ride and wanted to gallop but settled down pretty quick. There was a lot of deep sand, but Casper handled it just fine and finished in good shape. I'm so proud of my little guy. It was a first for both of us.

The people were so nice. I met one lady the evening before that looked out for me all day and walked me through what I needed to do.

I can't wait to do it again!

8 members found this post helpful.

YEAH FOR YOU! That's awesome, congrats to you and your boy. I switched to endurance from H/J's and I will say that endurance people are SO much more friendly. I love it and yes, it's *very* addicting :-)

2 members found this post helpful.

Congrats! I did my first 25 mile LD last year, and it IS addictive! So fun, and I love having goals to work toward... I'm already thinking about when I will move up to 50s...

2 members found this post helpful.

Yay - good for you!

Thank you! Right now my goal is to loose weight and get in better shape so it doesn't beat me up as much. Then I can think about moving up to 50s.

1 members found this post helpful.

That's great, congrats! I only did one ride/race back in about 1987 with my dad on our horses. I think it was 30 miles. So much fun!

Congrats!

The endurance folks are really nice aren't they?

I did my first in 1990. A 50 miler.

Wow! You did a 50 for your first ride? I'm impressed.

I thought everyone was super nice. The people on the trail were nice and the people in camp were really nice. I hope I can do another soon!

Several trainers who are very successful have said that if you want a 50-mile horse, start him in 50's. So he never learns that 25 miles is when he stops. However, that would be tough for a first time rider, you would have to be fit!

Congratulations and good luck with the weight loss. I know from experience that it's more motivating to do it "for my horse" than just for myself (well that and I had just switched to riding in tights!) I lost 30 lbs (WW worked for me) and have kept it off for 5 years now. You can do it!
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

3 members found this post helpful.

Wildlifer, yes true on the distances.

All my horses I started them in 50's as just coming 6 yr olds, and they did really well. Then, I started a 5 yr old in an LD, and forever after he would only do LD. I did complete one 50 with him. But never again will I start one in LD with desires to eventually move the horse up to a higher longer distance. Didn't work with me. I have ridden the 50 miler horses of mine in one LD and pretty much it was a training ride. I rode it like a 50 miler, slow. Horse didn't have an issue with the next 50 milers afterwards.

jme

congratulations!!! I so wanted to do that ride for the first time this year....health issues kept me from going. Maybe next year. The endurance people I know are super nice and friendly and more than willing to help you. Glad you had a good ride!
    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

Ride results are in! I was 29th out of 48 starters. Finish time was 4 hrs. 39 min.

Alfalfagirl, there is going to be another ride there in March, I think it is. Can't say if I'm going to be there. My truck is in the shop right now. Money could/will be an issue if my staffing company doesn't keep me busy. If you do go and see a pink/white stock trailer with a white horse tied to it, that would be me so come say hello.

Gotmypony, thanks. I have a good bit more than 30lbs to lose. Maybe if I started wearing tights, that would motivate me more?

Seeing the pictures should be motivation. I think I was the largest person there! At least in the 25. I can only imagine how much easier it will be for Casper when he's not carting around so much weight.

Back in the early '80s my sister and I did a 60 miler, our first ride. My legs were so sore for about 4 days. After that I never had a problem. We completed three 60's and I got lost on the last one and ended up doing 80! My sisters horse wasn't acting right so she pulled and I went on, got lost, did an extra loop and mde it back to camp with 6 minutes to spare. I'd love to go on more, but I don't want to ride on anything longer than 30 miles.

Does anyone remember the 5 day (50 miles per day) that Gearge Bybee put on in I think 1987? It started in Vale, OR and traveled west through super wonderful places like 'Stinking Water Pass'.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I'm jealous! I've been wanting to do endurance since I discovered there was no such thing as a too long trail ride. I ride slow, so I have no interest in being competitive. Maybe someday...

Gestalt, yeah, my body hurt for several days and that was just a 25. I'm not sure I could have walked after a 50!

Malda, you can do intro. (Sorry, I said limited distance by mistake.) There is no time limit. You don't have to go hell bent for leather in endurance though. We gaited and loped a good bit of it but I had time spare so you should be okay to do a longer ride if you walk and trot.
    Last edited by dacasodivine; Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM.

Very Wonderful!!! How old is Casper? And, yes, most of the people you meet at endurance rides are cool. The not-cool burn out after the first year and go somewhere else :-) I am basic training my new best friend Mariah now to hit trails to condition for her first rides later this year. It has been too long since I rode and I can't wait to get back out there!!
    Have a Blast!
    Beth and Sweet Mare Mariah
    SE Georgia

Actually, the limited distances, if AERC sanctioned rides, do have time limits; 6 hours for 25 miles and 7 hrs for 30 milers. They are sill fun, too. Especially if you have a horse that is mostly a pleasure horse and not really competitive, yet loves the trails.

Happy, I fixed it. I was even thinking intro but put limited distance, which is the ride I did.

Casper is 6. He's a wonderful little trail horse, if I do say so myself. I am really hoping to do Shanghai in March. It's very addicting!

I am doing the same thing about the weight issue. I have always enjoyed multiple horses to ride, very solid 15 to 16 hand Arabs. Could easily pack 190# or less rider/gear. They are gone to Heaven these past 2 years but I still have Sweet Mare Mariah, not yet trained, and insist on no bit; and I now demand no shoes either. So, I am looking at treeless saddle as well. My old endurance Sharon Sarre saddle is 30# plus other gear....She is 14.2 and I would feel better riding as a lightweight with her. Loving Hubby won't be pleased but I need to get down to high-school weight. Will probably take the rest of the year even with bicycling and yoga Good Luck to All of Us!! and Best Friend Equines, too!!