The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm expecting my first. The mare's name is Magical Solution (TB). She's in foal to Sky Mesa and is due the beginning of April. Magic is a maiden mare so this will be a first for both of us. I'll be sending her about an hour away to foal out.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    That stallion is NICEEE!! I bet that is going to be a nice foal
    lol! it took me something like 2 years to figure out who to breed my mare to. i posted many threads, agonized over the decisions and then saw this guy and it was pretty much it.... he is also the only boy i looked at who *everyone* agreed on. ..... and his owner, Nancy Holowesko, made it super easy and was a pro to deal with. It was also perfect timing as Chester just happened to be going to be collected (his only time to be collected i believe in 2012) the very day i needed him to be there! If we make it to foaling mine will be the first Chester baby born... but i dont want to jinx anything so i am trying to play it all low key......
    Last edited by mbm; Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    I'm a first timer. I have two full siblings due in April (one in an ET mare).
    Your first time and you have TWO on the way?! Get your bottle of Xanax now! But, wow, full siblings! That is really neat!

So.... everyone! I did put together a FB page so head on over and join-- it's FOAL WATCH 2013! Looking forward to seeing pictures of everyone's mares, ect!!

can you post a link? i am not able to find it!

Oops! I'm sorry..... here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...0237064747988/

Quote Originally Posted by Alliegirl View Post
    Oops! I'm sorry..... here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...0237064747988/
    I just sent a request to join the group!

Must have missed this thread. Yup I'm on this boat too! I have my first due this year Feb 23rd is her "due" date. I am starting to get nervous but the pregnancy has been very text book. She is an older maiden so am a little more worried just because of that but she got pregnant really easily so maybe that is nature telling me she will be a good breeder and great mother.

Really wish I had more then one coming just because I am starting to think really hard about weaning and wish I would have two to wean together.

I am expecting 2 warmblood babies in May. So excited!!

The first is an embryo transfer out of my Contender mare. She was bred to Casiro - frozen semen and the procedure took on the first try. The embryo was transferred into a Standardbred mare of the same size as donor mare.

My second is a Hannoverian mare that I bred to British Columbia grand prix jumper stallion Capone. Fresh semen and she also took first try. She looks like a tank right now.

I will have to post some pics on my website. I have been procrastinating lately, as the weather here has been bitter-aaarrgh - Canadian winter on the prairies, how I hate it!

I consider myself pretty lucky!

I am really hoping the two mares don't foal at the same time.

www.marshallfarms.ca

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alliegirl View Post
    Oh good God! I've been worried about my mare's delivery (she is my heart horse) so much that I actually had a dream last night that while she delivered a beautiful, healthy foal (I have vivid dreams-- dark bay colt with a snip and four socks).... she died immediately. I was just brushing it off as nerves because this is my first foal-- but if you've had SIX already...... We're in trouble! Lol.
    We're OK, we're OK! LOL It's just that heart horse thing I think! I haven't been envisioning disaster, so you aren't allowed to either!

I think what I worry about is Lacey was 14 when we bred her, so that means she'll be a first time mommy at 15. And she tends towards the obese if I'm not really careful about her food. (How many TBs tend towards the obese?) But I keep telling myself that she's super healthy, has had a textbook conception,textbook pregnancy, we are only about 15 minutes from New Bolton Vet Hospital, and my husband has foaled more than 200 mares out in his years working on TB breeding farms, so we should be OK.

Great idea about the facebook page. I put in my join the group too.

Sheila
    Chestnut Run Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Argh! (Hands on hips with pouty face) this is so unfair! Oh well, I'll be keeping tabs on this thread anyway, all the while telling my new girl that its her turn coming up! I'm sad I missed this season but its almost time for next season to start ( I tell myself wishfully) lol, at the very least I picked the same stallion and I think I have a better fit for him- not bashing the last mare, I really liked her too, I just think this one is better suited to his breeding and skills!

I'm in the first-timer club too! lol! Finally decided to follow through with a life-long dream and breed one myself. This will be my mare's fourth foal so at least one of us has some experience at this. She is a Hanoverian/TB by Earl (Escudo I) and almost 8 months along in foal to Westporte. Due April 15/13. Everything has been textbook perfect and easy since day one. Fingers crossed that it continues in the same manner. Good luck to everyone. Looking forward to sharing stories and pics.

Default I'm so sorry...

Alliegirl I am so sorry for your loss.
    I am heartsick for you. I can only send hugs and my sincerest hopes that yours and Allie's hearts will soon begin to heal together.

Quote Originally Posted by SportArab View Post
    SOLUTION: Buy a baby in utero. Then you get to do all the waiting and nail biting - but you don't have the responsiblity of the mare after the baby is born.

I've got an in utero for sale or buy the mare in foal (2 for 1) and play the waiting game with us!!

I have a maiden Escudo II/Nebelwerfer/Marbod in foal to Rubignon. Getting really excited and nervous.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    I have a maiden Escudo II/Nebelwerfer/Marbod in foal to Rubignon. Getting really excited and nervous.
    No babies here, but I wanted to say Rubignon is a great choice! I regularly drool over the stallions at Rainbow Equus.
    Last edited by tinydragon; Jan. 30, 2013 at 01:40 AM.

Europa, did you buy the mare from them? Or have yo had the mare and then Decide to go with rubignon? I love both of those boys!

On my first journey as well! Thankfully the mare is experienced so she just has to deal w/ my neurotic ways. The nightmares have already started and I'm sure there aren't enough drugs in the world to keep me calm. We're at day 304 so super close. I swear, when that udder starts to change I'm really going to lose it.

The foal is Amazing x Oro x Rapport

Default 7 month mark...

for my welsh mare bred to Oldenburg stallion Saint Sandro. Have pronounced baby bump, looks great, is ravenously hungry all the time, just went into private turnout this wknd and is loving having all the hay to her princess self ! Lost her last years filly to a luxating patella so crossing fingers that this years will have four good legs and a penis ! This is to be my first and last foal, bred to replace "the man" when he goes, but I just noticed breeding farm has a cute new welsh stallion....

Oooo... me too! I'm expecting MY first foal out of MY TB/Oldenburg mare! Although I worked at a breeding farm and have "been-there-done-that..." it's SOOO different when it's your own. It's like everything I ever learned or experienced went out the window. haha.
    This is a Cor Noir foal! So it's special, as there aren't many out there anymore. I'm hoping for a keeper filly!

Quote Originally Posted by PiedmontSporthorses View Post
    Although I worked at a breeding farm and have "been-there-done-that..." it's SOOO different when it's your own. It's like everything I ever learned or experienced went out the window. haha.
    It is SOOO different, isn't it? It's even very different when you have been breeding your own horses, but now it's my favorite mare's first foal! Can you say Xanax? LOL My husband keeps threatening it! My mare is 10 days to 2 weeks away now. We just took some pictures of her today. I took her blanket off and she just looks absolutely HUGE!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...6450921&type=1

Sheila
    Chestnut Run Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow