The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...oved_from.html another link, dunno if it really has anything different from the others, though
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

What it does say is this: "Six charges of animal cruelty have been filed against Roberts, as a result of the December removal. Those charges carry potential fines of $4,500."

"Potential" fines, meaning it could be less. So the person who starved them & killed them, attorney Rebecca L. Roberts, is apparently not going to have much to worry about.

Now that you mention that, I did see it and I was pretty disgusted with it.

EDIT: Found another story: http://www.morganhorse.com/news_even...ue_roberts_13/

Hajek reported to AMHA Executive Director Julie Broadway today, "Our only need right now is corral panels. Other than that, we are in need of financial support, as this case will require far more time with gentling, halter breaking, and training to stand for farrier. All of the horses have medical needs that require tending to, but at this point we can't even get our hands on them."
    Last edited by analise; Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: more info

Just bumping this up with the link to the Gentle Giants Page. This rescue has taken on the immense task for caring for these abused and apparently unhandled horses. I hope that the power of COTH will help them in this effort!

http://www.gentlegiantsdrafthorserescue.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

So glad AMHA picked up this story and reported it to their membership.

Found some more links with a few google searches. More pictures too, that I hadn't already seen:

http://www.abc27.com/story/20505298/...t-hanover-farm
    http://cumberlink.com/news/local/cap...a4bcf887a.html

New spaper article said it could be a long battle for custody. I hope not.

Palm Beach FL ACC Seized 14 horses Nov. 7. One colicked and was put down. Animal cruelty charges were filed against owner and judge awarded custody to ACC. Horses were released for adoption 2 weeks ago. I assume the period of time to appeal had passed and 5 horses remain at ACC - the untrained, older and skinniest ones, the others have new homes.

http://www.abc27.com/story/20583853/...auphin-co-farm

Found another news article. This one has pictures from when they went to seize in January.

Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue reports today that Mare # 6 gave birth prematurely and the foal was stillborn.

From their FB page:

"Sadly, Mare #6 lost her foal and delivered a stillborn premature filly. It was heart breaking watching her nuzzle and nicker to it as she mourned the loss. Please consider some support, as we have several other high risk pregnancies ahead of us."

I heard about this and it just...makes me so upset. I haven't even seen the mare since I haven't been in Maryland but I'm both sad for her and angry that she got into this condition into the first place.

http://www.humanesocietyhbg.org/Page_53.html

Benefit to Support Rescued Horses

"Please join the Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, Z-Country 106.7, and Karns Foods on Saturday February 16th for a Spaghetti Supper Benefit to support Prayer and the 29 horses recently rescued by HSHA. The event will be held from 4pm to 7pm at the Hummelstown Fire Hall located at 249-251 East Main Street, Hummelstown PA 17036. Tickets for the Spaghetti Supper Benefit are $10 for adults and $5 for kids 12 and under. Spaghetti, Salad, Bread, Drinks and Dessert are all included. Tickets can be purchased in advance at the shelter or at the door.

Thanks to the support of OutLaw Stables, Tara Dawn Hazen and Harv Thebes, we will also be giving away a Kenny Chesney Concert Package which includes two tickets to a Presidential Suite for the June 8th Kenny Chesney Concert at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia [and a limo ride to and from the concert courtesy of Unique Limousine]. The concert package includes 2 tickets plus a parking pass, with access to the Club level and presidential section that has a private bar, pool table and bathrooms. Complimentary snacks are available in the suite along with AC and TV with additional food and beverages for sale through your private attendant. There will be no lines or waiting and you will be granted early access to the stadium through the VIP entrance.

Supporters can enter for a chance to win the Kenny Chesney Concert Package by making a donation of ten dollars or more to the horses via the Z-Country 106.7 website at www.zcountry1067.com. Supporters can also purchase additional chances to win the Kenny Chesney Concert Package at the event as well as tickets to win some other great prize baskets and sports memorabilia from the Flyers, Eagles and our own Harrisburg Senators!!!!

Prayer, a 9 month old foal rescued from this case, will be there to meet our supporters from 4:00pm to 5:30pm so get there early to meet her! She goes to bed early so she can’t stay for the whole night. Chachi from Z-Country will also be there to meet our supporters and announce the winner of the Kenny Chesney Concert Package!"

I wonder if the rescue charged with the horses care could ever bring a civil suit against the owner for at least some of their costs? Although I suppose the costs of litigation would outweigh the costs recovered.

This makes me so sad.

Since the Humane Society was involved in the seizure, I would imagine that any of the rescues that have some of the horses are billing the humane society for the care/board of the horses. At least that is what seems to have happened in other seizures.

I think you're confusing the Harrisburg Humane Society with the Humane Society of the United States. Those are two different organizations.

2 members found this post helpful.

Nope, just know that rescues that have helped are not doing it for free. Harrisburg Humane Society is footing the bill for ALL the horses at all locations.

I'm not saying that the rescues are doing it for profit, but they are invoicing HHS for their expenses. And I would expect that, but many seem to think that the rescues are the ones that need the donations, where in fact it is the HHS that needs the donations, as they are the ones responsible for the cost of care of the horses at all the locations.

But if people donate straight to the rescues, then the rescues would be deducting that from what the bill HSHA, right? Or not?

Since the rescues involved are 501c3 (or at least, GG is) seems like someone should ask them how they're managing this financially.

Just to clarify:

HSHA is ONLY reimbursing Gentle Giants for the cost of renting the facility where the Morgans are housed, and for one part time staff 30 hours a week at $12/hr. That is the only expense they are paying. Gentle Giants must fund all of the feed, hay, vet care, dental care, farrier care, bedding, electric, supplies, halters, buckets, and other man hours, etc on our own.

This is the contractual agreement we have with HSHA. Not every case is the same, and not every humane agency makes the same arrangements when rescues help. We have no rights to "bill" HSHA for any amount past what they are obligated to provide by that contract. So yes, we must raise that money on our own to cover those expenses.

In every other abuse case we have worked with we have never received any compensation from any humane entity, including HSUS. Please don't assume a rescue is being "paid" for helping out! Many are not!

Christine Hajek/President
    Gentle Giants

2 members found this post helpful.