The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

The truth has not been told. I was there, YOU WERE NOT. Neither was Director of HAHS.

Visit the Facebook Page Neglected Horses and look at the pictures of these horses from 2010. Then tell me it was ok that no action was taken. If that shed was in plain view in 2012 as stated in the search warrant, then it was in PLAIN VIEW in 2010. Look at the pictures. Look at the height of manure against the fence & the wall. Compare the pictures. Horses died because no action was taken by HAHS.

Default 2010 vs 2012

Anne FS, neither inkamy or Director of HAHS was there in 2010. IF as according to their OWN search warrant, the shed was in PLAIN VIEW IN 2012, then it WAS IN PLAIN VIEW IN 2010. Look at the pictures from 2010 & the pictures from 2012/2013. The shed had a broken post & leaning posts in 2010, holes in the wall & roof & the manure was up against the fence to almost the same height. Look at the walls. The shed was in horrific condition in 2010. Look at the pictures of the horses. Are you going to tell us that horses scored a ONE are better than horses scored 2's & 3's???? There were MORE horses scored ONE in 2010 than there were in 2012!! As for dead horses in 2010, we will never know will we, because the search never happened because HAHS failed to respond!!! Let's ask Amy, Director of HAHS, if she is willing to take a lie detector test. I don't have any reason to lie. She does because she KNOWS how bad it will look if the truth be known. I did what I was supposed to do, unlike a whole lot of others.
    Last edited by PalmyraMorgans; Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

Thanks Ann FS and Gentle Giants for your updated info. Donation sent.

Best wishes on the fund raiser being a resounding financial success.

1 members found this post helpful.

Gentle Giants posted a picture today of one of the "expecting Momma" Morgans, you can see it here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...count=1&ref=nf

The caption says:

Gentle Giants would like to thank PetSmart Charities for their generous support of our efforts to rehabilitate the 21 neglected Morgans seized in Harrisburg PA. Please don't forget that many of the mares are expecting, and bellies are expanding rapidly! Babies are on the way, and support is still needed!
    and below that, they added in a comment:

Here a volunteer makes friends with an expecting Momma. We need the mares to trust us so we can provide medical care to them and their coming foals. This takes hours and hours of slow and gentle work.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I am happy to see this update! Wonder how many foals they are expecting from this herd...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I don't actually know. I want to say that of the ones Gentle Giants has at least four or five were confirmed pregnant when they got there? Don't know about if they have any more that were confirmed later. And I know one of the foals was stillborn (that's on the previous page).

Some friends and I went to the fundraiser dinner and it was packed from the time the doors opened. There was this announcement on the HSHA Facebook page, "Thanks to all those hungry, caring people the HSHA raised over $13,000 from the Rescued Horses Benefit. Thanks so much to everyone that made that possible!"

Just a recent article regarding the morgans:

http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.co...of-Dispute.php

Quote Originally Posted by PalmyraMorgans View Post
    This herd of Morgans was documented as being starved & neglected in May of 2010 when the state police investigated. 13 of 33 scored a one. The case turned over to HARRISBURG HUMANE who did NOTHING!!!!!!! These horses were starving in PLAIN VIEW OF THE ROAD & NEIGHBORS!!!!!
    which appear to not have happened, at least per the statement in the most recently posted article; paragraph six

http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.co...of-Dispute.php

"As for the assertion in the Facebook posts that repeated calls to the police did not result in any action, Kaunas says that’s just not true. “The state police have no records of multiple phone calls and complaints. They received one phone call two years ago from an anonymous caller. There were absolutely not multiple calls.” The State Police said that they could not comment on the case—or on the assertion that many calls had been made—since an active investigation was ongoing, and a court hearing was scheduled."

The state police responded, investigated, called an equine vet who body scored 1/3 of the herd either a one or a two. The case was then turned over to HAHS who took no action to help these horses which resulted in more breedings, more foals conceived, & deaths, not to mention suffering.

The posts on this board seem to focus on the horses getting help. Yet there is no outrage over the fact that HAHS whose mission it is to help these horses failed to take action 2.5 years ago when the state police gave them an investigation that included an equine vet's body scores of 1/3 of the herd as 1 or 2. What more did HAHS need to respond? Probable cause was already established due to the state police investigation.

If as some have stated Roberts had health issues, what steps if any would HAHS have taken to assist her?

Knowing the state police turned the case over to HAHS, knowing the vets body scores, why call HAHS?

The state police already called them.

If HAHS didn't respond to the state police, then what makes you think they would respond to call from witness?

Are you saying that a witness phone call carries more weight then an official call from the state law enforcement agency that has investigated the case turning the case over to HAHS?

As for the legal case, the points regarding the handling of this case will come up in court. HAHS better have their checkbook out, or rather their insurance company should. The stunt of transporting a foal, still not in full health by their own admission to a fundraiser, demonstrated not only a lack of proper horse management, transport being one of the most stressful events for a horse, even a well seasoned traveller as proven by studies undertaken at UC Davis that show a rise in the stress hormone cortisol, is a legal blunder of unheard of proportions!

That foal is evidence in a criminal investigation & whether you like it or not under the US Constitution, which HAHS seems to pick & choose which aspects they want to abide by,still belongs to the owner who is innocent until proven guilty.

HAHS even referred to the owner as a "defendant" before she was charged with a crime!

There are also "rules" of evidence & " rules" of criminal procedure which include the handling of evidence which is what that foal is, along with all the other horses. Law enforcement does NOT parade their evidence around to meet the public or fundraise off of them. Yes it was a nice idea & I'm sure people meant well, but that does not change the legal facts. I'm certain if that foal was injured HAHS would be more in damages than what they raised.

As for the dead horses, good luck proving in court how they died since no necropsies were done. Contrary to the words of HAHS director, necropsies can be done on horses dead a week, a month, a year, 2 years & even 60 years after the death and successfully determine & prove that the horse died of starvation. The bones are examined to prove starvation. It has been done. What one knows & proving in court are two very different things.

In court one must play by the rules. Defense attorneys go after the evidence. If the evidence can be excluded because HAHS didn't follow the rules, then the evidence is not admitted. If the search warrant goes, then everything else goes too.

The Internet is a wonderful tool, allowing one to research those who filed the search warrant. Looks like Red Allen all over again. Now, if that is ok with all of you, that law enforcement agencies such as HAHS violate people's civil rights & ignore the US Constitution- resulting not in helping the animals, but in lost cases & lawsuits that result in expensive "rescues & rehabs" only to have animals returned, well then have it.

Better to do it right so the case stands up in court.

Why should one call HAHS when one knows that they will take no action as proven by their failure to take action after state police gave them the case?
    Last edited by PalmyraMorgans; Mar. 25, 2013 at 02:17 PM.

Default The Truth

[QUOTE=clanter;6888334]which appear to not have happened, at least per the statement in the most recently posted article; paragraph six

YOU WERE NOT THERE. Documents PROVE vet was there body scoring 1/3 of the herd ones or twos. I KNOW I can pass a lie detector test. Let's see, the pictures & entire story was just pulled out a figment of my imagination. For what purpose? Think about it, if HAHS admits they knew & did nothing, just what do you think that would look like?? HAHS is scared to death of the truth because they know how bad it looks. Amy K has already backpedaled on her first statements that the first time they knew about these horses was Dec 2012. Under questioning she finally admitted more. Her story keeps changing. Mine has not. The truth is easy to keep straight, because it IS what happened. I know there are numerouse credible witnesses who support version ive posted. I'm not the one changing my story.

[url]http://www.pennsylvaniaequestrian.com/news2013/march/Herd-of-Morgan-Horses-in-Lebanon-County-PA-at-Center-of-Dispute.php[/]

Thanks for posting the PA Equestrian article. I know that some of the pregnant mares lost their babies, but here's one that was born 2 days ago: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

If that's the one at Gentle Giants, I actually started a new thread for it over here to kind of separate it from the seizure talk:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...by-pics-added)

Guilty verdict for Rebecca Roberts: http://tinyurl.com/c5eoe55

"Magisterial District Judge Lowell Witmer issued a swift verdict against Rebecca Roberts, a Palmyra attorney and Morgan horse breeder, finding her guilty on all counts involving 29 horses that were seized from her farm four months ago and one found dead among them.

"I'm just stunned," he said after hearing testimony from three veterinarians and viewing scores of pictures showing filthy, dangerous conditions in which the sick, wounded and malnourished horses were found and of the carcasses and skeletal remains of six other horses on the property.

"Witmer said he would not sentence Roberts to jail because "something is very wrong," clearly indicating he felt she had a psychological issue that needed to be addressed,...

"He ordered her to pay $27,638 in restitution to cover the cost of care of the horses. Witmer forbid her from owning or having contact with any animals for seven years and five months and issued a $22,500 fine ($750 per count)."

2 members found this post helpful.

Final foal (a filly) born to one of the Hershey, PA rescued Morgans. Photo here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

From Gentle Giants FB page: "Our final Morgan foal was born early this morning... a cute filly with two socks! Mom and foal are both healthy and doing well. The foal will be watched because she has weak flexor tendons, if they don't improve on their own in a few weeks she be fitted for splints."

[Discussion of yes/no to splints ensues].

Rebecca Roberts still has not relinquished custody and is appealing her animal cruelty conviction. Therefore these horses cannot yet be adopted out.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...locked_in.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/penn...gislation-47-3