The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Do you know if the horses have actually been seized? Just want to confirm their current situationbefore I pass this along to the Morgan lists.

There was a news clip a couple of days ago showing a couple of them on the property eating hay, but they were too far away to see their general condition.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

5 have been seized and relocated. Approximately 24 are still there, according to reports.

Any new updates - does anyone have connections to the Morgan community? The CL listing requesting hay and donations was changed to "EMERGENCY".

I know the costs. I also know how to properly execute a search warrant, something HHS apparently does not. Anyone who knows PA law regarding HSPO's & looks at this warrant will know immediately it is invalid. Whose fault is that??? The humane agent states he had 8.5 years, thousands of investigations, passed extensive training, yet despite all that experience he doesn't know the rules of a search warrant? It's unacceptable.
    Whose fault is that??
    Cowgirljen I'm sure can explain to you what happens when the search is invalid - hint the answer is 5 words.

I don't lie under oath because i was so incompetent that i didnt take my own photos. Nor do I steal animals when I can't get the PC for a warrant. Nor I have I ever had to invoke the 5th on the stand, all things done in PA by HSPO's.

I even know how to make sure my animals are cared for during times I'm incapacitated, for whatever reason.
    These organizations make the same mistakes over & over again resulting in the suffering & deaths of animals, the return of animals to abusive owners & lawsuits. They blame everyone from the law to the Court, & defense attorneys, when often the fault lies with them.
    HHS & others have been known to commit one, or all of the following-Failure to respond to complaints, lying under oath, incompetent investigations resulting in acquittals of defendants & return of animals, outright theft of animals, official oppression, violation of 4th amendment rights, and the continued suffering of animals & death of animals.
    If the police conducted themselves this way the media, the ACLU, the legislature, & Public would be up in arms.
    Until these issues are corrected animal abusers are going to get away with abusing animals.

palmyra - where have you seen the search warrant to know it is not valid? You seem to have many details on this situation, many of which do not seem to be included in any press. Just curious as it is my understanding that many details are often kept secret until a hearing in these types of situations.

2 members found this post helpful.

Search warrants are public documents unless sealed by the Court. Call the District Justice & get a copy.

Update on what's needed here: http://www.humanesocietyhbg.org/

Needed: Vet wrap, epsom salts, dewormers, halters, lead ropes, mineral blocks, etc.

"If you are able to donate money towards their care you can do so via the donation link on our website or via mail at 7790 Grayson Road Harrisburg PA 17111."

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for the donation information!!! At this point, I don't care if I'm helping the owner or the humane society. From what I hear, these horses really need assistance.

3 members found this post helpful.

If these are the same horses, the rest have now been taken in by Gentle Giants:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

It came across my FB news feed too and I was looking for this thread to update. The description is horrible!!! GG will do their best, they always do!

Please be aware that the remaining 24 horses were seized by the Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, Inc. and moved from the farm to safe foster care. Many of the horses went to Gentle Giants Draft Horse Rescue facility in Mt. Airy, MD. Family members assisted as volunteers and reported horrendous conditions that thankfully the horses are no longer in. Many carcasses, bones in the mud/manure that was feet high in some areas, simply tragic.

Please know that it took additional time after the intial seizure of the first 5 whom we are calling the Fortunate Five to allow proper legal process. As hard as it is to wait, following the appropriate channels protects these horses better in the long run that they can remain in safe foster care. Hard difficult two weeks it has been for all involved in the recovery process.

Thanks to all who donated their time, trailers, expertise and LOVE for the horses yesterday! God bless each and everyone!

Please note there will be ongoing extensive care needed for these horses. The need will drain the resources of the Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, Inc. They will be in need of donations (monetary to offset veterinary costs, hay/feed to rescue groups, etc.). Please send your donation marked for "Hershey Rescue Horses" to -

Humane Society of Harrisburg Area
    7790 Grayson Road
    Harrisburg, PA 17111
    Phone: (717) 564-3320
    Fax: (717) 564-1867
    Attn: Amy Kaunas, Director

Online donations to Harrisburg Humane Society:

Donate page:
    http://www.humanesocietyhbg.org/Donate.html

Instructions to specify for "Hershey Rescue Horses." After filling out the first donation page (Paypal form, you don't need Paypal Account), on the "Review Payment" page, please click "Add Special Instructions to Seller," In the text box that appears, indicate indicate "Hershey Horses."

Harrisburg HS:
    http://www.humanesocietyhbg.org/

Default 26 more Morgan horses sezied from PA farm

I am a reporter with the Philadelphia Inquirer following this case. Here is my latest story from this morning:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...l-PA-farm.html

Bumping - HHS has made a direct call for COTH help and knowing the power of COTHers - magic will happen. Sent a dribble.

Facebook page for Gentle Giants: https://www.facebook.com/GentleGiantsDraftHorseRescue

Webpage for Gentle Giants: http://www.gentlegiantsdrafthorserescue.com/

Thank you so much to these wonderful people for taking "the little guys."

From GG FB page: "They range in age from weanlings to seniors, and many mares are pregnant. I must say this was the WORST scene I have been on- horses stabled with carcasses of herd mates... walking on carcasses... 4 foot mud. Just a travesty."

Thanks, inkyamy (great name, btw), for linking to your article, which provided actual information in that it finally addressed the issue of the discrepancy between May 2010 when the humane society was informed, and December 2012 when the dead horses were discovered.

Please keep us abreast of the legal aspects of this case as well. Thanks again.

GG posted another picture of one of the horses today:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...count=1&ref=nf

And the caption says:

I know everyone is desperate to get a glimpse.... here is one of the little fellows that I could get near today. His curiosity is a good sign. These guys seem SO TINY to us!
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Gentle Giants update: https://www.facebook.com/GentleGiantsDraftHorseRescue

Quoting: "PLEASE FOLKS- we keep getting tons of emails and offers of people wanting to donate supplies like blankets. THESE HORSES ARE WILD. What we really need is financial support to pay the estimated $14,300 the horses will cost this month. If you don't want to donate money, we need 12 foot CORRAL PANELS that can be purchased at TSC or Southern States."

You beat me to it.

But I'll add the direct link to the post you're referencing, for future folks to find it easier:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...count=1&ref=nf
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Thanks for the info, inkyamy. Keep us updated on any progress with the proseuction.
    I sent my dribble to Gentle Giants. I can't even begin to imagine the task they've taken on. I hope that Morgan horse groups across the country will step forward to help, both financially and by eventually placing these horses.