The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Amazing Saturday in Oldham County KY

Wow-I took my girls to Oldham county to go to the Hermitage Classic CDE on the marathon day and we had so much fun- The weather was so beautiful. Hermitage farm is a fantastic facility and really friendly to spectators because you can see so many of the obstacles in one small area. The live jazz band in the VIP tent was kind enough to let their music drift out to the ears of those of us who hadn't sprung for the VIP passes.

Then after noon there was an exposition of Mounted games up in the dressage arena. It's not too often that you have to make a choice to tear yourself away from one event you really love- to go see another event that is incredibly interesting and exciting.

I knew my 11 year old daughter would be thrilled to see the mounted games so we headed up there and were wowed by the skills of those young riders and their mixed bag of awesome ponies.

I glanced over my shoulder and saw a four in hand crossing the field and I asked my girls to stay put while I hustled off to watch them. When I went to rejoin my girls the mounted game riders had wrapped up and were doing a meet and greet with the kids at the rail- they had mugs full of candy to share and my little 3 year old thought that was so wonderful- those riders really were superstars now!!

We left Hermitage and drove up the road just a half mile to Flying Cross Farm where they were hosting a USEA horse trials. What a madhouse!! (and I mean that in a good way) There were so many horses and riders every where you turned- the warmup areas were full of people doing their thing and managing somehow to seemingly effortlessly keep out of eachother's way. So many beautiful horses and I was just awed with the question- "Where did all these people come from!?" I don't know if they were all relatively local- or if they'd hauled from a long way off- but it was just amazing to see such a community. The funny thing was as we strolled around Flying Cross- was my youngest kept asking if she could "Talk to that rider." apparently she now thinks that all riders carry around mugs full of candy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Beautiful area of Kentucky that sets on the same type of soil as Lexington.; great for horses.

The US42 corridor has always been horsy; Goshen was thorobreeds, Covered Bridge Road was hunters/jumpers. Polo and driving was at Rose Island Road, the Dinwiddie's place

1 members found this post helpful.

Even the soybean fields have black four board fence!

Hermitage lead the way for black boarded fences when all the fences in Lexington were white Hermitage painted everything black...and the red roofed barns stood out in contrast to the green pastures.

By the way just down the road was were Orchard Grass seed was first commercially produced ...

"the Henshaw farm in Oldham County, near Goshen, Kentucky, seed was commercially grown. Oldham County was a large producer of seed for several years"

1 members found this post helpful.