The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Disgusting, childish, tail wagging idiots. ALL of them, from the Prez to every member of the house. These guys couldn't lead flies to a dead body.

7 members found this post helpful.

Boy am I glad that I don't work in payroll......

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

2 members found this post helpful.

I shall send a congratulatory e-mail to my representative, the Honorable Speaker of The House.

You've done well John.

5 members found this post helpful.

We need to disband them and start from scratch.

7 members found this post helpful.

I really flippin pissed off at these bums. That's what they are, BUMS.

Of course we, the people, are the fools who keep voting these shmos into office.

I'm angry enough- almost- to drive down there and stand outside with a sign.

Yes - the rich protecting the rich. The rest of the world hangs on a thread.

Last minute game of chicken.

And the other boondoggle - the hockey lockout. Millionaires quibbling at each other taking on every possible detail towrangle over.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

5 members found this post helpful.

Oh geeze, is anyone really worried about the Fiscal Cliff? They technically have another 12 months to hem and haw over the tax rates...

They can pass legislation that makes the tax rates retroactive to Jan 1 even though technically the "signatures" dont take place until sometime next year.

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree with the OP. I'm surprised they went home with no resolution. I think there should be sanctions for the representatives who do not do their jobs, including being so incredibly partisan.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

4 members found this post helpful.

Fiscal cliff ? Actually let's go over it ! ... It's either cut spending now or cut later with even more pain.

There is NO way to avoid the pain of years, decades of spending. The "grand" deal is only another kick the can down the road. I hope Congress swings and misses.

We're already in a mess, Don't waste a crisis .. (where did I hear that phrase ?)

6 members found this post helpful.

No budget = no job. Don't balance the budget and make it stick = not eligible for re-election. And for Pete's sake - no flippin pay raises for Congress!

Crawl on cnbc says they've got something, but I haven't gotten anything from CQ yet...

Tax hikes on individuals making $400,000, familes making $450,000

Estate tax raised to 40% for estates over 5M or 10M if married.

Highest tax rate from 35% to 39.6% for that highest group

No provisions for spending cuts.

The highlights.

Like beating your head into the wall trying to make anything happen. I agree, lock em in and throw away the key until something gets done. And really, I don't think any one can point fingers at any particular party. This was a problem when there was a Republican president, and is when there's a Democratic one, and will be again whenever the power shifts. Everyone points fingers at everyone else, when really it is EVERYONE'S problem.

they're either going to do something last minute, which is right about.... 2 hours ago... or Obama will write in something all brand new in January.

What I really can't understand is the disconnect between what voters want and what the elected freaking DO. It's like as soon as they're voted in they go off leash. I've mentioned before having it so breaking campaign promises was an impeachable offense... There is an enormous disconnect between what people are voting for and what really happens. Even if I don't agree with it I'd like to see a closer connection between the voters and the reps. Otherwise we're just playing a sick game.

Sorry but the senate has out performed the house this time, as someone posted it's been three YEARS since they passed a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    What I really can't understand is the disconnect between what voters want and what the elected freaking DO. It's like as soon as they're voted in they go off leash.
    This is actually a question that was covered quite in depth when I was doing my undergrad in political science (my emphasis was domestic policy). Is it congress' responsibility to vote the way their constituents want them to? Or is it their responsibility as the elected representative to vote in the way they feel is in the best interest of their constituents/party? It depends on what you think the role of an elected government is. Historically, elected representatives were generally the better educated land owners and as such, were charged with the responsibility of stewardship, essentially. The most obvious example of this is the electoral college.

Today, however, we have different expectations.

Sorry for the digression, but your question is really one of the stumbling blocks of our system of government.
    Last edited by SaturdayNightLive; Dec. 31, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Tax hikes on individuals making $400,000, familes making $450,000

Estate tax raised to 40% for estates over 5M or 10M if married.

Highest tax rate from 35% to 39.6% for that highest group

No provisions for spending cuts.

The highlights.
    Very clear which side is being bipartisan and which side is not. Let's go over the cliff and let things wash out to be what they will be. We can rebuild and move on. A compromise like the one above does no good, IMO.

How can they be so obstinate aboit enactimg real spending cuts?! Spending is soooo out of control. Has to be obvious even to a moron.

SNL well you gave me something to think about there. Huh. I wish this wasn't so complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    How can they be so obstinate aboit enactimg real spending cuts?! Spending is soooo out of control. Has to be obvious even to a moron.
    Obama does not think we have a spending problem... In his mind, the way we get out of debt is by govt spending. That is why he is completely unwilling to cut a penny from the budget and he wants to add more spending,,, justified in his mind because he just got more tax revenue. However, that tax revenue is a mere pittance....