The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Worse if it doesn't rain.
    Will be our 3rd year in the record breaking drought.
    Nothing has grown for three years now, not even one blade of green grass.
    Bluey, I am in N Tx, it is horrible, the cracks in the ground are getting big enough to swallow my horses....

For me personally, knock wood, next year will be fantastic. All good things. A new horse on the horizon, will breed my mare for the first time (yay) and my career could not be better!

How interesting! A few others have mentioned having a bad two years! This is true for so many that I know! We've had a trying two as well. 2013 has to be better. We've had MAJOR issues at my workplace, we lost a family member in a sudden and tragic event, we moved (a GOOD thing, but not cheap or free of stress...!), the usual money stressors, etc.
    If 2013 turns around, it would be such a blessing to so many...

1 members found this post helpful.

This will be the 4th year in a row that I've said "This is gonna be MY year!" Although I've had good years, I'm found there was a lot more to put together with my riding before I'd have a good year. This year I feel like I'm finally in a position to have a shot at it. Now if I can get him past his arthritis issues, we might actually be a contending package.

I hope the retirement savings holds out for 1 more show season!

This past year was a mixed bag for me. I had some great things happen -- I got to go to London this summer to see some of the Olympic equestrian events, and then my husband surprised me with another trip to London in October for the premier of the new James Bond movie. We got a new puppy in September (and while she is wearing me out, I love her). I was ridiculously busy at work, which creates good and bad (good because I will get a decent bonus and bad because I didn't have nearly as much time as I would have liked to ride). My horse had some minor health issues, but came through them fine in the end, so another mixed bag there. And a few definitely bad things -- one of my friends learned that her 10 year-old child has cancer and there is no treatment, my mother had to put her 14 year old cat to sleep after a bout with kidney disease, and my goddaughter started having some behavioral issues (but thank God it seems they are being successfully addressed with a good child psychologist).

In 2013, I will hope for more of the good, and less of the bad, for all of us!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Dear god I hope it's better....2012 was a doozy, and left some very bad tastes in my mouth.

Although my new year won't be kicked off with fun and happiness like I hoped it would, I'm putting my best foot forward and welcoming a better, brighter year into the horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

2012 was good, stayed upright and above ground.

2013 will be good too, if the previous holds true.

I don't generally ask for much, I'm employed, have a roof over my head, some great kids and a beautiful G'daughter who will be one soon. I've got some nice dogs, 2 nice mares and a variety of hobbies.

Life is good.

I just can't predict it...too many uncertainties right now but if the economy holds on, my taxes don't go up, my husband's defense job is not axed causing us to most likely lose our home, and the farm business continues to grow, 2013 **should** be a better year than 2012.

Having said that, I'm another one who is quietly preparing for the worst as I don't have any confidence in our nation's leaders to do anything to prevent a "big mess" coming soon. Not sure what form it will take but an attack on 2nd Amendment rights seems to be headed our way along with a weakening dollar, higher costs of everything and many more jobs lost. Not something to make me real confident unfortunately.

The weather is getting weird all over. Bluey I'd send you some rain if I could. We have had lots in 2012 and the pattern seems to be continuing.

2 members found this post helpful.

It's going to be a doozy. I'm taking 2 programs full time, working, getting another dog, and probably saying goodbye to my old girl :'(
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

The last couple years have not been very good. I'd say they were bad, but I know they could have ben so much worse. We're all healthy and things are looking up. 2013 should be better if things stay on track. It actually has the potential to be a pretty darned good year....
    Y'all ain't right!

2012 - lost my grandmother after an amputation still couldn't save her, my mother's dearest friend who was like an aunt to me two weeks later to sudden lung cancer, lost two cherished dogs and one beloved iron horse old mare. That's just my personal losses, not counting friends and other family. Nor counting several other hardships, including calling 911 for my husband after another health scare landing us in the ER.

2012 had two great things for me personally though. Twice chancellor's list for my academics with Spring and Fall semesters, and a new position with my company that I absolutely love. If the world around me wasn't falling down while my personal achievements were skyrocketing, I'd be over the moon. Hard to be happy with so much to be unhappy about though.

Yeah, 2013, onward and upward.

Let's see..

Husband died. Great Grandma died. Sister-In-Law died. Had to have surgery.

Im thinking 2013 will be an improvement.

'13 can't be worse then '12 (hopefully?)

2012 started out wonderful for us and then frazzled... it was probably a wash, all told...

But after years of washes I really wouldn't mind a really good year; just a really good punch in the arm of good things....

I believe so. Got a good job in 2012 and may get a horse 2013. Husband's job is now secure after two years of threatened layoffs.

2013 is going to be interesting for me. I graduate high school in a few short months, then it looks like I'll be declaring pro status when I turn 18. Exciting changes but a little scary!
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

2012 started off well but ended badly. On the good side, my horses are all well and I am pregnant with a healthy baby. On the bad side, my migraines are untreatable pregnant so I have had a bad headache, of various pain levels, constantly for the last six months.

2013 should improve...only 3 more months of constant pain to go and hopefully we will have a healthy boy to enjoy (and get back on meds). I can deal with anything for 3 months. At least I keep telling that to myself!

My husband officially retires from the USMC at the end of the month, we moved back home, he took a great new job - 2013 is going to be amazing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JackandMo View Post
    My husband officially retires from the USMC at the end of the month, we moved back home, he took a great new job - 2013 is going to be amazing!!!!
    Congrats and thank you for your family's service!

4 members found this post helpful.

Not sure... I had problems with my first job but found one even better. I moved way closer to BF but lost my cat very suddenly. 2012 was very up and down.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

2012 wasn't bad, but it was definitely a year of change for me.

2013 is going to be amazing. I'm getting married in May and I start work at my dream job next week. Everything is looking up! I'm sure it'll have its low points, but I'm really looking forward to it.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris