The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2013 Will it be better or worse for you?

So what kind of year was 2012? Will 2013 be better?

Overall, I can honestly say 2013 cannot be worse(yeah, I know I am jinxing myself). Sometimes I feel I have nothing to lose! I lost 2 very good horses this year. One expected and one very very unexpected!! I also got back a Forever placed horse without having anywhere to place him.

I stated a period of trying to fix my problems myself. That didn't go so well. Had an enablerer talk me into looking at a new horse. Said new horse is the horse from hell(or Honey Badger as I like to call her), but I refuse to give up without a fight!(as get out of bed with a sore lower back from being dragged). It could be worse!

Lets hear yours!
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

I fervently hope 2013 will be better in every way. I am doing a lot of things to try to make that happen, but a little luck thrown my way can't hurt either.

1 members found this post helpful.

In 2012 I got my first horse, so in that way it will always be a magical year.

However, other than that, everything in 2012 and 2011 has sucked royally. So I'm desperately hoping 2013 will be better.

Worse if it doesn't rain.
    Will be our 3rd year in the record breaking drought.
    Nothing has grown for three years now, not even one blade of green grass.

Oh jeez, Bluey. I was hoping that you got some of that snow that fell in TX recently.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Probably pretty much the same, which was pretty good.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Mine almost has to be better... unless my leg stops working completely in 2013. Oh, why did I go there?
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Oh jeez, Bluey. I was hoping that you got some of that snow that fell in TX recently.
    Yes, we did, all .22" moisture, 3" of snow, piled in discrete snow drifts, bare ground the rest.
    Last edited by Bluey; Dec. 31, 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Edited for comprehension, .22" was moisture.

Better. I lost my dad in a head-on collision in September, went through two failed relationships (thought they were keepers and I was cheated on and lied to extensively in both), sold two horses I had intended to keep forever, and lost a very dear pet only two months after losing my dad.

Onwards and upwards.

2012 was not a great year for me in a few ways. I am hoping 2013 will be loads better, but all of the projected financial increases already have me nervous for it. So, here's to hoping!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I expect it to be personally about the same. I do have a much more pessimistic view of the direction this country is going. Last year I thought "we the people" wanted to stop this insane descent we are in but I was obviously wrong. What I keep reading here and else where, this is evidently what sort of country and future wanted by the majority. I will keep on quietly preparing my family to cope with what comes.

9 members found this post helpful.

well, the latter 1/2 of 2012 and the first 1/2 of 2013 are going to be chalked up to yuk for me. My husband is seriously ill, is going to be having a stem cell transplant, and we've been warned that the first 100 days will be the most critical. We're in the process of selling our pony that started us in this crazy horse world, as well as my 2 1/2yr filly who is my heart horse, and I couldn't be sadder about that. We're also facing losing our house if our loan modification is not approved.

HOWEVER (because I look at the glass 1/2 full) if he makes it thru the transplant, then the last 1/2 of 2013, no matter what else happens, will turn out to be the BEST YEAR EVER! :-)

5 members found this post helpful.

I don't view 2012 as bad but it certainly wasn't good. My dad was diagnosed with cancer and went through radiation, with bad side effects. I went through a terrible breakup and had to move out of our house, as well as lease out my show horse because I could no longer afford him. My retired gelding was diagnosed with EPM and arthritis, but is doing well now.

Here's to 2013 being a bit better!!'
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Coming off 2 bad years... here's hoping for a change in 2013.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Fervently hoping for an improvement. I lost my dad, my husband's dad, and my job, plus a bunch of other smaller-scale but crappy things. Eff 2012.

I would guess 2013 will be about the same or slightly worse than 2012. I managed to survive layoffs this December, so while I still hate my job at least I still have a job. I don't have fun vacation plans like I did in 2012 because I'm being more conservative with my money, but I do hope to go visit a few friends for some weekends away. My mother's health is continuing its decline and my parents are making plans for her "last" of different things, but she does have a few years left so it's not dire yet.

Honestly, I don't have much hope for my life ever being much better than it is now and that's depressing in and of itself since I'm missing out on several things I very much want (job I enjoy, horse of my own), but I do know that it could always be much worse than it is now (unemployed, homeless, family deaths)!

While I have a lot for which I am grateful, the second half of 2012 was.really.bad. I am going home tonight, read my book and say a prayer that things are going to be better in 2013. Tomorrow I will get up, go to the barn and thank my horse for being such a good guy.

2 members found this post helpful.

I hope 2013 is better. My young TB is coming along but really I cannot ride him in the winter without lots of turn out and we have had so much rain. I have not ridden him in 2 months.
    Bluey; I would send you some rain if I could !

I also took on more management in the office, I hate office politics but after the 3 person was threatening to quit if they had to continue working with this person, I stepped up. He is working out of his area of expertise and it is painfull to watch and the junior staff are not going to put up with it, so I said I would help. We will see how that goes. He is a nice guy and should stick with what he knows. Consultants love to BS their resumes.

So, if I can get back to riding with maybe 2 shows I will be much happier. Other personal events I need to let go of and focus on my horses. I cannot fix other people so I'll just work on me for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfArabian View Post
    So what kind of year was 2012? Will 2013 be better?

Overall, I can honestly say 2013 cannot be worse(yeah, I know I am jinxing myself). Sometimes I feel I have nothing to lose! I lost 2 very good horses this year. One expected and one very very unexpected!! I also got back a Forever placed horse without having anywhere to place him.

I stated a period of trying to fix my problems myself. That didn't go so well. Had an enablerer talk me into looking at a new horse. Said new horse is the horse from hell(or Honey Badger as I like to call her), but I refuse to give up without a fight!(as get out of bed with a sore lower back from being dragged). It could be worse!

Lets hear yours!
    Aside from everything else, I LOVE the fact that you are calling her Honey Badger!!

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I hope 2013 is better. My young TB is coming along but really I cannot ride him in the winter without lots of turn out and we have had so much rain. I have not ridden him in 2 months.
    Bluey; I would send you some rain if I could !

I also took on more management in the office, I hate office politics but after the 3 person was threatening to quit if they had to continue working with this person, I stepped up. He is working out of his area of expertise and it is painfull to watch and the junior staff are not going to put up with it, so I said I would help. We will see how that goes. He is a nice guy and should stick with what he knows. Consultants love to BS their resumes.

So, if I can get back to riding with maybe 2 shows I will be much happier. Other personal events I need to let go of and focus on my horses. I cannot fix other people so I'll just work on me for 2013.
    Thank you, we need all the help we can.
    Our rain dances just don't seem to do it any more.

You may be where you are getting so much rain, they have mud slides.
    Never quite happy with what we get, are we.
    What we need is a convenient app to dial weather as we need it.