The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Les Mis movie

Went to see the 11:30 show and unfortunately the audio cut in the middle of Gavroche's song and did not return. So I eagerly await reviews of the second half. What did you think?

Hugh Jackman is excellent of course; Anne Hathaway is a great Fantine; Sascha Baron Cohen is surprisingly really good; Russell Crowe probably shouldn't do this again. (The Confrontation was fine. Stars was not. My friend is threatening to bring earphones and play Philip Quast's version and I think that's quite right!)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Seeing it tonight! I'm excited, but I'm not particularly a devoted Les Mis fan (I like it, just not fanatical like some people!) so I unless someone is absolutely atrocious I doubt I'll be too critical.

Plus, along with all the big name stars, they cast a few really good Broadway/West End actors (Aaron Tveit, Samantha Banks) so I'm excited to see them.

I'm on the fence about whether to see it. Love Hugh Jackman, he was fantastic when I saw him in Boy from Oz.

I've never seen Les Mis. The idea of all-singing, no talking has me hesitant.

I knew every word of Le Mis years before I saw it on Broadway. Started crying during the 2d song of the 2d act. Didn't stop until I was out of the theatre and I was not alone!

The movie does not need dialog, nor did the Broadway production. You know exactly what's happening and why. The songs are narratives. It's really more of an opera sung in English, much like Jesus Christ Superstar.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie A View Post
    Seeing it tonight! I'm excited, but I'm not particularly a devoted Les Mis fan (I like it, just not fanatical like some people!) so I unless someone is absolutely atrocious I doubt I'll be too critical.

Plus, along with all the big name stars, they cast a few really good Broadway/West End actors (Aaron Tveit, Samantha Banks) so I'm excited to see them.
    Samantha Barks is outstanding- I saw her in the 25th production in London and she was the highlight of the show.

MHM, it doesn't need a lick of dialogue. You get everything from the lyrics; they do have some bits spoken instead of sung to move the plotline along a little more clearly for those in the theatre who don't know every word, but really it's not terribly necessary.

The set design, my gosh- fab.
    - Harry Dresden

1 members found this post helpful.

If you are on the fence, you should really listen to the review of this movie on Fresh Air yesterday. Russell Crowe was compared to a water buffalo-- I was FOFL while trying to drive a the same time!

I'm a moderate fan of the show, but I think I'll pass on the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpsnake View Post
    If you are on the fence, you should really listen to the review of this movie on Fresh Air yesterday. Russell Crowe was compared to a water buffalo--
    Probably not for the first time in his life, nor the last.

Russell Crowe had a few moments where he was ok, but mostly he was just outclassed. I don't think his voice is that bad, but up against everyone else, he just didn't have the power. Don't let one weak singer turn you off from seeing it, because everyone else was fantastic, the music was gorgeous, and the sets were spectacular. Definitely worth it
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    Russell Crowe had a few moments where he was ok, but mostly he was just outclassed. I don't think his voice is that bad, but up against everyone else, he just didn't have the power. Don't let one weak singer turn you off from seeing it, because everyone else was fantastic, the music was gorgeous, and the sets were spectacular. Definitely worth it
    Exactly, his voice was pleasant, and I'd actually like to hear him singing Christmas carols- it's that kind of voice. He's just not Javert.

It was like Joe Jonas in the 25th anniversary casting. Fine. But outclassed.
    - Harry Dresden

The talent of some Broadway performers is just beyond belief. It's as if they're another species.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    The talent of some Broadway performers is just beyond belief. It's as if they're another species.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Went to see the 11:30 show and unfortunately the audio cut in the middle of Gavroche's song and did not return. So I eagerly await reviews of the second half. What did you think?

Hugh Jackman is excellent of course; Anne Hathaway is a great Fantine; Sascha Baron Cohen is surprisingly really good; Russell Crowe probably shouldn't do this again. (The Confrontation was fine. Stars was not. My friend is threatening to bring earphones and play Philip Quast's version and I think that's quite right!)

Hiya Renn !!! Man do I miss You !!! xoxoxo
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

I'm seeing it tonight. I saw the musical in Toronto, one of the last performances with Colm Wilkonson as Valjean (he IS Valjean in my book). It was EPIC, and I agree doesn't need dialog. This is a musical that doesn't feel like a musical (IE - it's not Hairspray).

Sucks you didn't get to see it - hopefully the theater compensated you?

I saw the original cast on Broadway--Com Wilkonson as Valjean--nothing will compare--but I'm planning to take my daughter to the movie. Last winter I took her to a local high school production--horrible, except Valjean who is a friend of ours--but I remembered how much I loved the musical--I can still sing most of the score, and was singing to my daughter the bits they cut for the high school version--so this summer, when we were in London, I took her to the real version. she was amazed.

I'm on the fence. Normally I detest musical movies although I have made it through some. I think Les Mis is epic enough that I would be OK with the singing. I've never seen it on stage so this is likely my only chance to see an awesome production.

So now the part I'm on the fence about... see it in the theatre (alone) or wait until it's on Redbox and watch it when my husband is out with the guys?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    So now the part I'm on the fence about... see it in the theatre (alone) or wait until it's on Redbox and watch it when my husband is out with the guys?
    That's my dilemma- whether to see it in the theater or wait and watch it at home. I see fewer and fewer movies in the theater these days, mostly because there are so many rude people who don't think twice about talking or texting or throwing food during the movie. I don't often feel the need to pay for the privilege of their company.

3 members found this post helpful.

The very first shows of something with such an anticipated wait to it often have a different culture in the seats- think midnight premieres, only I dare say the Broadway crew isn't as flippin' crazy as some other fandoms. No names mentioned, young adult quartet split into quintet for the sake of the moolah. Even my fellow LOTR geeks can be a bit... special on opening night.

While we were waiting for the sound to come back on, the sold-out theatre chatted about our favorite [insert character heres] and whom we liked best playing them and where we saw them and isn't it grand to see Colm Wilkinson? And about 20 minutes in, while the film was still playing and the techs were working on it, half the theatre chimed in together to sing "A Heart Full Of Love." Pretty cool. Nobody got rude at anyone, it was very much a sense of "we all came here to see this thing that is special to us, and this sucks, but we're doing this together." Your mileage may vary, but I hope that if you do see it in the theatre, you're seeing it among fans, because we're a fun group. And we don't throw popcorn. We were raised better.
    - Harry Dresden

Renn, I'm not talking about superfans at big event movies. Just the run-of-the-mill rude people at your average movie. The ones who seem to have forgotten the difference between watching a movie in public with strangers and watching it at home on the couch.

I might wait a week and go see it after the crowd has thinned out.

Saw it on Broadway during the 80's and have listened to the score so many times I could probably do the whole show myself. Can't wait to see it! Was going to go this afternoon but my MIL wants to wait until the lines go down so we're going to try on Friday.

I can't WAIT to go see it! It is my favorite musical of all time, and we did the musical back in the day when I was in high school. Trust me, I've spent many a day belting out the songs on my ipod while cleaning stalls. LOL! I've also seen it in London, so good!
    Friend of bar.ka