The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mattress Dilemma! Advice?

Went to purchase a mattress Dec 31st. Shopped around a bit, thought I found one that was great. My dad brought up some concerns but I didn't think much of it and the salesman was adamant things were just peachy. Dad gave in and bought it for me (I am a single mother so I really don't have a lot of disposable income and my daughter just moved up into a twin bed which was what I had been sleeping in - I've been on a blow up air mattress since) Salesman said the mattress wouldn't even be delivered to their store till Thursday then would be delivered to my house sometime after that.

I came home and started researching my new mattress for reviews and such. I can not find ANYTHING about my mattress. Nothing. It isn't even on the stores website where I bought it from! The only mattress I can find that *looks* similar is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the one I bought. Major, major red flags! I told my dad I don't think I feel comfortable taking delivery of this mattress. He is going tomorrow to try and void the order and get a refund, but we are not thinking it will be easy at all.

Does anyone have any advice?? I am really concerned about taking a mattress that is supposed to be name brand and only on the market for around 6 months but I can not find ANY information on it AT ALL - not on the name brand site, not on the mattress stores site, no reviews, nothing! I find that *Very* odd considering I can find all the above information on the other mattresses I was considering.

Advice? I know my dad is dreading going in and trying for the refund since it doesn't seem like it will be an easy task - but I don't want to be stuck with a total flop of a mattress since I will have to be using this for many years to come.

What is the name of the mattress to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    What is the name of the mattress to start with?
    Supposed to be Sealy 'Hotel Collection' "Arden Square" Pillowtop Mattress

Does the store have a return policy? I think most do, if for any reason you are not satisfied etc. you can return the bed.

It may be a pain but if you wait until its delivered and then just send it back for refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post
    Does the store have a return policy? I think most do, if for any reason you are not satisfied etc. you can return the bed.

It may be a pain but if you wait until its delivered and then just send it back for refund.
    No they don't and conveniently on the receipt in tiny print is says "No Refunds, No Exchanges" Though we were not aware of that until we had already paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Noms View Post

No they don't and conveniently on the receipt in tiny print is says "No Refunds, No Exchanges" Though we were not aware of that until we had already paid.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyTBs View Post
    Well you may have a very tough time then.. My suggestion would be if you REALLY dont want the bed is to do a stop payment on the check, or get the credit card company involved,

But if you paid $$$ you may be SOL.... sorry

Where did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaGT80 View Post
    Where did you buy it?
    Mattress Warehouse

It was Paid with a Credit Card so we can get the CC company involved. I think my dad is just going to tell them if they try to argue that he will stop the payment for the credit card and we will refuse delivery of the mattress... *Sigh* I hope it isn't too much of a hassle. I mean I can just take the mattress, but it is so very shady to me that I can not find ANY information on the mattress ANYWHERE, so obviously that is very concerning

It was Paid with a Credit Card so we can get the CC company involved. I think my dad is just going to tell them if they try to argue that he will stop the payment for the credit card and we will refuse delivery of the mattress... *Sigh* I hope it isn't too much of a hassle. I mean I can just take the mattress, but it is so very shady to me that I can not find ANY information on the mattress ANYWHERE, so obviously that is very concerning
    Well,,,cc companies can get in the middle of disputes, does not hurt to try if you feel strongly about not wanting the mattress. Your father will have to do that. Good luck.

I'm not familiar with Mattress Warehouse, but some retailers have their "house" mattress made by a manufacturer. Or it's a closeout type of mattress.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

If you like the mattress, Sealy is a good brand. I wouldn't worry that you can't find the particular one on the internet.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    I'm not familiar with Mattress Warehouse, but some retailers have their "house" mattress made by a manufacturer. Or it's a closeout type of mattress.
    The odd thing is that it is not even listed on the stores website anywhere - and we specifically asked if it was closeout or not being made anymore or if there were issues with the mattress which would be why the price was so willingly reduced and the salesman kept saying that it was a newer model - only on the floor for 6 months. I just don't understand why I can not find ANYTHING on it yet I can find information on all the other models (including house models of other stores) - and this is supposed to be a "Hotel" model that is in hotels??? Just seems extremely fishy that no information can be found about the mattress on the world wide web! *Sigh* I guess I will just have to wait and see how things go tomorrow for my dad and then go from there.

Obviously the mattress was comfortable, but now I am concerned about what it is made of and all the other information facts about it - there was no information sheet for that one on the bed in the store, just a price sheet. I just don't want a mattress that is a dud that I won't be able to replace or use the warranty if need be.

Maybe they (at the store) renamed it to what they wanted to call it.

Or, perhaps it is so new, there are no reviews. Hey you may be the first. Somebody has to be the first.

Or, perhaps it is old and they (at the store) renamed it.

I am not a fan of a pillow top. They weigh a billion pounds, and most you can not flip it over.

Why can't you just go back to the store, and tell them you do not want the mattress? Or better yet, tell them you want a different one. Nothing is ever in concrete on a sale, even if you paid cash.

Mattresses are subjective. If YOU like it, and it is comfy, then that is ALL that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    If you like the mattress, Sealy is a good brand. I wouldn't worry that you can't find the particular one on the internet.
    Thing is, now I even question that it IS a Sealy - or what it is made of. (what type of springs, how many coils, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Or, perhaps it is old and they (at the store) renamed it.

I am not a fan of a pillow top. They weigh a billion pounds, and most you can not flip it over.

Why can't you just go back to the store, and tell them you do not want the mattress? Or better yet, tell them you want a different one. Nothing is ever in concrete on a sale, even if you paid cash.

Mattresses are subjective. If YOU like it, and it is comfy, then that is ALL that matters.
    I need super plush and pillowtop are really the only way to get it soft enough for me, so that is why I am going with that. I am *Hoping* that since the mattress hasn't even made it to their store yet, that they can cancel it with no problem. I guess I will just have to see what my dad is able to accomplish tomorrow

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I think you are over thinking this way too much! Do you like the mattress? If you didn't pay a "premium" price, as in this one was in line with other pillow-top mattresses, then just take delivery and enjoy it. There are thousands of "last year's" mattresses out there, and many retail store's websites are not up to date with their stock, so that wouldn't worry me at all.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

3 members found this post helpful.

If you like the mattress, I am not understanding the issue.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thing is, the only mattress I can find online that looks like the one I bought is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than what we paid.

I worry with all the bad things I hear about mattresses breaking down or having defects, that if this mattress is a dud that I will not be able to get any warranty fulfilled if needed, which means that if the mattress fails or has issues, I will be SOL and have to deal with a bad mattress for several years... that just doesn't sound pleasant... especially with all the negative reviews I am reading about Mattress Warehouse and getting warranties taken care of.

*Sigh* I should have just listened to my dad (one day I will learn!!) He was skeptical about that mattress from the get go. I guess I will just see if we can get the refund. If not, I guess I will have to hope the mattress is decent.