The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Obama Gave Pay Raises

Figure this is probably posted some where else but...
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...ess-pay-raise/
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

It was posted. And, technically, it's unfreezing a pay hike.

Still not cool, though. WHat I don't get is how there can be legal pay hikes. The 27th amendment says that Congress cannot vote themselves a pay raise unless there is an election between it and when it goes into effect.

A D opposed it. http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...se_692451.html

Interesting the only one reporting is Fox, and they keep inaccurately saying it's a pay raise, not unfreezing automatic raises. Seems like some "reporters" need to be fired.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    It was posted. And, technically, it's unfreezing a pay hike.
    Global Warming strikes again

3 members found this post helpful.

It's not a pay raise; it's the ending of a pay freeze. "As of March 27, 2013, federal employees will see a half-percent to one percent pay increase, marking the end of a pay freeze that has been in place since late 2010. Congress hasn't seen a pay raise since 2009."

Keep in mind that it's the federal employees, those "regular" workers who make a good bit less and are far more productive than Congress, who are getting the pay increase, too. Mr IF is a federal employee. I can assure everyone he is not getting rich off his unfrozen pay increase.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

pay raise or unfreezing, doesn't matter what you call it, it's still WRONG for Congress to get a raise in their pay when the average federal worker hasn't seen one in 2 years... at ANY TIME, much less in an economic climate such as this. Sorry... if a Congressman can't deal with "only" making $174,000 (plus added for staff and travel), then he shouldn't be in Congress telling us what to do with our money.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I absolutely agree. What an insult for Congress to get raises for doing NOTHING while the President agreeing to whittle away at SS with no means testing.

7 members found this post helpful.

Well, of course he did.

Our governor in our state campaigned that he would NOT take a salary from his job if elected. He was elected and the state is NOT paying him.

Obama should do the same.

5 members found this post helpful.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    I like that reason for the melting of the pay freeze.

I am happy for those that may get a bit more now.

How about doing some more for that fiscal cliff and other really pressing government issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I like that reason for the melting of the pay freeze.

I am happy for those that may get a bit more now.

How about doing some more for that fiscal cliff and other really pressing government issues?
    I'm sure he'd like to, but the President can't do it by executive order.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Democratic Congressman John Barrow of Georgia is moving to block Obama's pay increase. Per Barrow's office :

Barrow's office explains: "The Executive Order called for a pay increase for Members of Congress and other elected officials of 0.5 percent after March 27, 2013. During tonight's votes, Congressman Barrow will urge his colleagues to sign his letter to House Leadership urging them to bring legislation to the floor to block the pay increase."

"At a time when American families face real hardship, it would be irresponsible to allow Congressional pay to increase," says Barrow in a statement. "Too many families face uncertainty in the New Year for Congress to get a bonus. Folks expect us to be looking out for them, not ourselves, and we should be working to lower taxes, cut spending, and get our nation's debt under control. Congress should get to work, and I urge the House leadership to do anything and everything possible to stop this pay increase for Members of Congress right away."

For those saying that the President can't do this through Executive Order I suggest you call Congressman John Barrow of Georgia and tell him he apparently has it all wrong. Or perhaps he may just know what he is talking about?

Hats off to Congressman Barrow!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

It appears that he extended the pay freeze until March 27th, at which time the increase will be .5%
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Brookes View Post
    Democratic Congressman John Barrow of Georgia is moving to block Obama's pay increase. Per Barrow's office :

Barrow's office explains: "The Executive Order called for a pay increase for Members of Congress and other elected officials of 0.5 percent after March 27, 2013. During tonight's votes, Congressman Barrow will urge his colleagues to sign his letter to House Leadership urging them to bring legislation to the floor to block the pay increase."

"At a time when American families face real hardship, it would be irresponsible to allow Congressional pay to increase," says Barrow in a statement. "Too many families face uncertainty in the New Year for Congress to get a bonus. Folks expect us to be looking out for them, not ourselves, and we should be working to lower taxes, cut spending, and get our nation's debt under control. Congress should get to work, and I urge the House leadership to do anything and everything possible to stop this pay increase for Members of Congress right away."

For those saying that the President can't do this through Executive Order I suggest you call Congressman John Barrow of Georgia and tell him he apparently has it all wrong. Or perhaps he may just know what he is talking about?

Hats off to Congressman Barrow!
    Somehow, I think that is just more grandstanding where he can, as all do.
    Never miss a good opportunity to do so, even if there is no real meat to this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Interesting the only one reporting is Fox, and they keep inaccurately saying it's a pay raise, not unfreezing automatic raises. Seems like some "reporters" need to be fired.
    Come on - it's Fox. Their reporters would be fired for not towing the right party line. I have no doubt that if Fox found out that serial killers wore spotted ties, there would be a front page pic of Obama wearing one and a serial killer headline.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Somehow, I think that is just more grandstanding where he can, as all do.
    Never miss a good opportunity to do so, even if there is no real meat to this issue.
    Good point Bluey, but the point I was trying to make was the "executive order" portion of the program for someone else's benefit lol! Happy New Year! Arf!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!