The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Puppy Prozac??

My Pit Bull is doing much better weight wise since I switched his food (He is now on Wellness Senior and is putting weight back on, his coat looks good, etc)

However, I now come with a new question. This dog has always been skittish and jumpy with loud noises, but he is progressively getting worse. To the point that he is now doing things he never used to do (getting on the couch which has NEVER EVER been allowed) and has a very hard time relaxing and settling down. He is just constantly worried and scared. He has now lived in this house for 2 years and has just gotten worse about all this - the wind, the fire in the wood stove, the cat jumping off the chair, etc - anything and everything makes him jump and startle and worry. He has started scurrying across the hardwood floor when something scares him when he never used to do that.

I'm wondering if anyone give their dogs any puppy prozac type of anxiety medication? Do they really work? When I lived in my apartment, he was slightly nervous but not like this. He is just getting worse and I feel so bad for him. I don't want him to worry when there is nothing to worry about - none of it is anything new and nothing should be THAT worrisome.

This dog really is an interesting one. I worked with many, many dogs when I worked at a shelter & did my own rescuing - but none quite like this guy and with him being my personal dog, I just want to do something to make him relax!

My pointer takes Prozac. She had anxiety issues that manifested as aggression. It was are only option to putting her down, a year later everyone is happy.

I had a dog on Clomicalm for about a year. It worked well with no side effects. We were able to wean her off when we got a second dog.

I would think a Thundershirt would be worth a try for your dog, too.

Clomicolm, DAP diffusers and thundershirt are all great places to start. Alprazolam (Xanax) is used in many dogs for issues with things like tunderstorms and generally works very well, however its duration of action is short term. Fluoxetine (prozac) is also used in pets when the above dont work, or there is aggression associated with the anxiety.

I'd give the clomicalm a try first. Dirt cheap, and as Ive learned if your dog accidently eats an entire bottle...they will be just fine

My cat with hyperactive thyroid couldn't sit still, used to love sitting in my lap, then couldn't sit for more than a minute.

Meanwhile this thread reminds me of an old SNL skit with Gilda Radnor about puppy uppers and doggy downers, I guess they were prophetic.

Where can I get Clomicalm? If I could get another dog again, that would be my first choice - he was MUCH better with another dog to "look up to" - maybe once I get my own place again... but for now, I need to do something else for him.

Default Clomicalm

Clomicalm is a prescription. You have to get it from your vet. (Or, what we did: get the script from your vet and fill it at Walgreens.) Your dog will need bloodwork prior to starting and at regular intervals.

Sounds good. I will call them tomorrow - my vet is very good at talking with me - he and I usually bounce ideas off each other (and typically I go in telling him what I'm pretty certain is wrong and he just confirms it LOL) so I know he will agree with Cayden needing it, just will get the bloodwork done and get a prescription. Good to know I can get it at Walgreens - hopefully it isn't too expensive? I'll have to see what is costs from the vet verses at Walgreens or CVS.

It was about $40/month for my 70# dog through Walgreens.

For meds, if there is a Costco near you, they are MUCH less expensive than CVS/Walgreens. You do not need to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.

For example: My 70 lb dog takes both Prozac and Trazodone for severe, OMG, severe separation anxiety. Cost for BOTH Rx's per month is ten dollars and change. Love Costco.

ETA: There is a price-checker feature on the Costco website. They do carry clomipramine (or generic Clomicalm). http://www2.costco.com/Pharmacy/Drug...ation.aspx?p=1

A former co-worker of mine had great success using a special veterinary formula of Prozac on her neurotic Doberman. It's worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by tarynls View Post
    For meds, if there is a Costco near you, they are MUCH less expensive than CVS/Walgreens. You do not need to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.

For example: My 70 lb dog takes both Prozac and Trazodone for severe, OMG, severe separation anxiety. Cost for BOTH Rx's per month is ten dollars and change. Love Costco.

ETA: There is a price-checker feature on the Costco website. They do carry clomipramine (or generic Clomicalm). http://www2.costco.com/Pharmacy/Drug...ation.aspx?p=1
    Clomipramine is considerably less through Walgreens.

CostCo: 50 50 mg capsules: $44.57
    Walgreens: 60 50 mg capsules: $15 (Or 180 for $30)

Feel free to check it yourself: http://www.walgreens.com/pharmacy/ps...ug_pricing.jsp

That's with a $20 card. It pays for itself the first month.

I guess it really depends on the drug. When I tried to check the cost of prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride), at Walgreens, it would be $7.50 for 60 capsules. I pay $5.49 thru Costco. Yet, when I check the Costco website, I should be paying $32.55 for the same Rx.

I am a Costco member and my dog does have one of their prescription cards (like the ones at Walgreens), but the Costco Rx card is free, I'm assuming the card is the difference & Costco doesn't show the "card" price online.

For the trazodone, I got a price of $15.00 for 60 tablets at Walgreens. I pay $4.99 at Costco for the same.

Horsenut, if you're talking about Reconcile, it is simply fluoxetine hydrochloride made into a flavored chewable tablet. Exact same med as people take. Except it would cost me over $80/month for my dog's dose via 1-800-pet-meds, vs. the $5.49/month I currently pay.
    Last edited by tarynls; Jan. 1, 2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Price typo

I use our local Giant Eagle for Clomiprimine. I get 90 75mg caps for around $45. That is 45 days worth and goes towards our gas perks. You may have to play with the dosage a little. My dog has been doing fantastic, but she is followed very closely by my vet.