The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Typically if an outside trainer is giving a clinic, the trainer (or clinic organizer) pays a fee to the Barn Owner for use of the facility. The fee should be included in the clinic fee.

With your latest post it sounds like it is a fee to cover an outside trainer using the barn for a clinic. The price for the lesson/clinic was set between you and the lady who sent out the emails to organize riding times. So the instructor/trainer/clinician is making that money. Maybe the person doing the organizing is getting a small cut from the clinician. Your BO is simply charging you a fee to have this outside trainer come in and you take up the whole ring.
    Shrug. Not a big deal and it does not seem out of line. It sounds like the 'not really barn manager' caused more issues than would have occurred if she had not called it a ship in fee.

there is a difference between having a clinician come and do a clinic and an outside trainer coming in; and am I missing something here but generally when you do a clinic you pay a fee to attend the clinic - not sure why BO isn't allowing auditors if the clinician is worth it - sometimes that's gravy money. Most clinics I've attended have never charged additional fees unless the clinic is over 2 days and you need stabling. I did go to a clinic where the stupid organizers charged the parents of a kid $90 to audit which I cannot believe the parents paid - they had to DRIVE the kid up there for pete's sake.

!!! That's nuts, gottagrey!
    I didn't mean to mis-state--the BO *allows* auditing--there just aren't any auditors. If there were to be auditors, they don't pay anything.
    It's just weird to me, I suppose. I have never had to pay an additional clinic fee before that wasn't for something I was blatantly paying for (stabling, hauling in, etc).
    I'll get used to it. But I won't like it. :|
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

I would ask the BO about the $10 "haul in fee" and ask them to explain how you "hauled in" since horse was there? Do it in a nice way like I'm happy to pay this fee but are perplexed by it and it is weird. Who knows it could've been a mistake on the other person's part.. next time I wouldn't take the clinic and if you're asked why not, I'd tell them you think its insulting to have to pay a dumb fee when your horse lives there... so you'll audit for free LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I did go to a clinic where the stupid organizers charged the parents of a kid $90 to audit which I cannot believe the parents paid - they had to DRIVE the kid up there for pete's sake.
    That is nonsense.

The other thing I refuse to do is pay an audit fee when I am the owner of a horse in the clinic. RE-FUSE. I don't expect to watch all day, but my horse's ride I don't want to get any sh*t about. Sure you can charge me $25 and I can also pull that horse out of that clinic so fast blink and you'll miss it. Try me, Doe Eyes.

FYI my barn owner lets a regular revolving door worth of professionals and clinicians come ride and teach (me included!) and the extra fees she charges for it = $0. Barn is full to the rafters. By now between all the pros teaching lessons and doing prorides there are probably 180 combined lessons/prorides going on every month that this BO does not feel the need to charge a "facility fee" to cover. Apparently "board" is the "facility fee"? O_O

I know barn owners the world over want to convince everyone that they will GO BROKE ERMAGERD if they try this revolutionary idea, but I can assure you, don't drink the Kool-Aid, this BO is not broke. She is beating boarders away with a stick at this point.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think it's nonsense to charge a haul-in fee to anyone. The barn owner should charge the clinician a fee or percentage for use of the barn, and that clinician should charge participants accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    I think it's nonsense to charge a haul-in fee to anyone. The barn owner should charge the clinician a fee or percentage for use of the barn, and that clinician should charge participants accordingly.
    Why does it matter if the horse owners pay the barn owner directly or if the money has to filter thru the person teaching?
    It is the same end result. The HO is paying $10 more for the privilege of having this trainer teach them at a facility that the trainer pays none of the expenses on.

Just think of how much money and time you are saving by avoiding having to haul to another facility for your lesson. The BO doesn't have to allow outside trainers in. Many don't.

I do think it is labeled incorrectly, and sure, go talk to the manager directly about it if it is a new charge, but I would be cautious about making a big deal out of it.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Just think of how much money and time you are saving by avoiding having to haul to another facility for your lesson. The BO doesn't have to allow outside trainers in. Many don't.

I do think it is labeled incorrectly, and sure, go talk to the manager directly about it if it is a new charge, but I would be cautious about making a big deal out of it.
    Apparently this was a CLINIC, not a regular lesson or trainer coming over to do weekly lessons, otherwise the OP wouldn't have an issue. The fact that she was told to pay a "haul in" fee to attend a CLINIC at her boarding facility. I don't think the OP would have any issue w/ paying a "Ring Fee" if she had (OP) Trainer come in and quite often don't trainers pay a % to the BO/M? In any other situation, a person would question an extra charge or fee - do you think when you go to dinner and you're charged for an extra cup of coffee you don't bring it to the waitstaff's attention? So why is it in the horse world, clients are just supposed to suck it up, don't question anything no matter how small, just stroke the check?

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

This is a situation where talking with the real BO would be productive. How do you know that Quasi BM is not just looking for something for herself? Asking if the fee is legitimate since it was not mentioned before or published or posted in the barn would then lead to a conversation about the reasons.

If BO/BM is not forthcoming and reasonable when you ask, it's time to get worried.

If it's an outside trainer fee or a clinic fee, $10 bucks is pretty darned cheap for however many days.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Why does it matter if the horse owners pay the barn owner directly or if the money has to filter thru the person teaching?
    It is the same end result. The HO is paying $10 more for the privilege of having this trainer teach them at a facility that the trainer pays none of the expenses on.
    Because that is the sort of thing that can result in "double-dipping."

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

Apparently "board" is the "facility fee"? O_O
    BWA HA ha ha hahahahahahahahahaha meupatdoes for the win!

This pretty much captures how I feel. Yes, I know I am being Snotty Pony Party of one.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

Not a clinic scenario, but I get clipped $25/lesson by the BO for my outside trainer to come give me a lesson at the barn my horses are boarded at. She does have a couple of (non-H/J) trainers that part-time train out of her barn, but there is no resident trainer, and no other H/J trainers come to the barn. My lessons are also always scheduled during the day, and the arena has been empty for all but one of those lessons in the last 9 months.

I used to suck it up, but I decided recently that I am really annoyed by an arena fee of that amount for an arena I pay over a $1000/month to use and I would be riding in whether lessoning or not. I started hauling out to a barn that charges me a $10 fee, as a non-boarder with a non-in house trainer.
    The best is yet to come

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedHunter View Post
    Recently I received an email saying my board would be going up $25.00 per month. One of the reasons was "over the past couple years we have had more outside people come onto the farm in order to teach lessons and train horses. I know this is a perk that most of you appreciate and desire, but our insurance costs for coverage of this significant added liability have also substantially increased." I don't bring in a trainer or clinician. The only people from the "outside" I bring are VET & FARRIER. I feel like I am subsidizing others.

Exclamation

I guess I'm another of those odd ones. I don't expect to pay a fee to use a facility when I'm already paying for its use.

Nor do I expect to be charged or have my students charged for the use of a facility where they are already paying board. Now if they are hauling in to that facility, a charge is fair.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I've seen and heard of so much weird and wacky charges that nothing surprises me anymore - and a haul-in fee for borders is just another example

That said, QH99, when was the last time your board went up? If it has only been a couple of months then I would say sit down and talk to the BO. If however, it has been a couple of years, I would just pay it. Yes, according to her explanation, you are paying for something you don't do. But the reality is the increase is likely the result of an increase in general expenses, and $25 is really not that much.

On the flip-side, you can easily use this as an excuse if you want to leave the barn. If you want to stay and like the barn, then it's probably not worth creating a problem.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

There are a few trainers who come to our barn and do lessons. One we just pay our trainer directly and the other we pay x to the guest trainer and $10 to our trainer for the facility fee. I don't board there, as I don't own a horse, but the boarders pay it too.

Quote Originally Posted by QH99 View Post
    Recently I received an email saying my board would be going up $25.00 per month. One of the reasons was "over the past couple years we have had more outside people come onto the farm in order to teach lessons and train horses. I know this is a perk that most of you appreciate and desire, but our insurance costs for coverage of this significant added liability have also substantially increased." I don't bring in a trainer or clinician. The only people from the "outside" I bring are VET & FARRIER. I feel like I am subsidizing others.
    What are the other reasons?

I know, I know, the OP was back in Jan. But I read with interest then, and now it's been bumped .

I just moved to a different barn to be with a trainer with my young horse. My trainer is also a manager at the farm and leases a barn from the farm, I pay her directly. I get to use all the facilities except a washstall in the "main" barn, which is reserved for another trainer who leases about 20 stalls by himself. She has now been told she has to charge an additional fee to cover arena use for lessons she gives, even to those of us who are already boarding there.

She's working out the hows and wheres of moving her clients now. She doesn't want to nickle and dime her clients, and is unhappy that the facility owners (corporate folks) are forcing the fee on her. And I guess the corporate folks are just as happy to have an empty barn and find a new employee and not get the arena fee. Must be nice to have money like that!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl