The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You're absolutely right. There is a reason poor people are so fat and unhealthy in the US (I have a public health degree). I prefer to make stuff myself. I have a local egg guy who also sells pastured chicken, pork, beef, and lamb. I'm very much in agreement with you.

This is my current reality however. It's temporary and when I'm flush again I'll go right back to making my own, but for the time being it is what it is. As nasty goes -it beats eating off the McDonald's dollar menu right?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

By the way, if you put the Stoffers lasagna in your own baking dish, and heat it in the oven, you'll be able to pass it off as your own to ooh's and ahh's with no problem!
    Last edited by Chief2; Dec. 31, 2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling--I am not having a good day here!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

3 members found this post helpful.

even the dollar menu has it's place in the food pyramid.

Just not for every meal.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    By the way, if you put the Stoffers lasagna in your own baking dish, and heat it in the oven, you'll be able to pass it off as your own to ooh's and ahh's with no problem!
    who's trick was that with apple pie?

Rachel Ray?
    I ma sure Julia precedes that trick by a couple of years!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sort of.

It's cheaper to buy a pre-made lasagna in one sense, but I've found that I can make MORE if I just buy it myself. Also, if you use spaghetti noodles instead of lasagna noodles, it stretches it out even more. The upfront cost is higher, but I can make more meals when I make it myself which in turn makes it cheaper

For example, my baked spaghetti is: 2 pounds noodles, 2 jars sauce, 1 package of cheese, 3 lbs of meat. Cook the meat, cook the noodles, mix the meat with the sauce. Layer meatsauce in bottom of pan, layer noodles, meatsauce, cheese until container is filled. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes (I like the browned layer of cheese on top).

With that combination of stuff, I can fill a large stoneware tub (I don't know the size but it's the largest oval one that has a lid), and it makes about a dozen hearty servings. You could stretch it out more if you add in some sides and take smaller portions of the noodles.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    even the dollar menu has it's place in the food pyramid.

Just not for every meal.....
    LOL indeed!

Paula

If you're broke I'd take "lasagna" off your menu- it's very expensive to make a really nice lasagna, even one without meat in it, and the pre-made ones just aren't very good because they don't put much in them, just noodles and sauce.
    Plus pasta is very unhealthy. So lasagna is a double-whammy- expensive AND unhealthy.

Keep in mind that cutting costs by eating unhealthy food will come back and cost you more later on- one of those penny wise/ dollar foolish decisions.

The way most people try to cut food costs- by loading up on cheap carbs like pasta, rice, potatoes- is very unhealthy. It's also unhealthy to cut meat out of your diet- most vegetarian diets are chock-full of unhealthy cheap carbs, and try to replace healthy protein sources with unhealthy low-quality protein sources like soy and beans. A healthy diet is based on lots of vegetables and high-quality protein sources (fish, eggs, meat). If you shop wisely, you can find cheap healthy vegetables- see the freezer section, and look for the cheap dark-green leafy veg like kale and collard greens. Buy meat in large, less-popular cuts like "chuck", "shoulder", "neck", and "shank", and whole birds. Canned fish is another option.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingArabian View Post
    Sort of.

It's cheaper to buy a pre-made lasagna in one sense, but I've found that I can make MORE if I just buy it myself. Also, if you use spaghetti noodles instead of lasagna noodles, it stretches it out even more. The upfront cost is higher, but I can make more meals when I make it myself which in turn makes it cheaper

For example, my baked spaghetti is: 2 pounds noodles, 2 jars sauce, 1 package of cheese, 3 lbs of meat. Cook the meat, cook the noodles, mix the meat with the sauce. Layer meatsauce in bottom of pan, layer noodles, meatsauce, cheese until container is filled. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes (I like the browned layer of cheese on top).

With that combination of stuff, I can fill a large stoneware tub (I don't know the size but it's the largest oval one that has a lid), and it makes about a dozen hearty servings. You could stretch it out more if you add in some sides and take smaller portions of the noodles.
    I'm with you, but it is in fact the up front costs isn't it? If you have a limited budget you have a limited budget. Like I said; it's not permanent. It's not ideal, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things -that the calculations in my head were accurate in that a boxed lasagna is cheaper than home made lasagna -quality and health aside.

ETA: Wendy, you're right there are some traps to eating on the cheap -empty carbs for example. My cheap eating shopping list does indeed have canned fish on it. And eggs. The lasagna is nice though -it's a tasty meal full of sharp flavors and cheese. As carbs go -it's not white bread and ramen noodles.

Paula

Eh... If you plan accordingly throughout the year, lasagna is crazy-cheap to make...

I took up hunting with my dad a couple years ago (started at 35-- I was WAY late to the party!), and I have had a freezer stocked with venison ever since. We use it for EVERYTHING-- meatloaf, tacos, burgers, stews, you name it. We process our own deer, and since I'm not a big fan of chops or roasts, most of it gets chunked up and frozen in 2-lb bags. I have a meat grinder, so whenever I need some ground meat, I thaw a bag of chunks and grind it up fresh, with a little bit of beef fat (which REALLY cuts the gamey flavor down to nothing).

Couple that with a ton of frozen tomato sauce, homemade from our garden-- just 2 or 3 tomato plants yields a crap-ton of tomatoes!!

So I'm making a huge lasagna this weekend for the inlaws' visit, and all it's costing me is 2 boxes of shells ($5), a big container of ricotta ($3), a bag of mozzarella ($5), and some parmesan (from the Kraft green can, whatever that costs). Oh, and a couple eggs from my backyard chickens.

Paula, you live in PA (as do I)... If you have any neighbors who are farmers, ask them if they ever come into any unwanted venison, to let you know... In PA, farmers are allowed to shoot deer "for crop damage," so there's a good chance Farmer Brown might have way more than he needs in the freezer.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

My daughter asked for lasagna, my son is sick with poison oak (I have never seen it so bad) so I plan on making some. Paula you can come over for dinner, is that cheap enough ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    who's trick was that with apple pie?

Rachel Ray?
    I ma sure Julia precedes that trick by a couple of years!
    I love watching Julia! I loved it when she showed up at the flambe special toting a large fire extinguisher! Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way is one of my favorite shows, too!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    If you're broke I'd take "lasagna" off your menu- it's very expensive to make a really nice lasagna, even one without meat in it, and the pre-made ones just aren't very good because they don't put much in them, just noodles and sauce.
    Plus pasta is very unhealthy. So lasagna is a double-whammy- expensive AND unhealthy.

Keep in mind that cutting costs by eating unhealthy food will come back and cost you more later on- one of those penny wise/ dollar foolish decisions.

The way most people try to cut food costs- by loading up on cheap carbs like pasta, rice, potatoes- is very unhealthy. It's also unhealthy to cut meat out of your diet- most vegetarian diets are chock-full of unhealthy cheap carbs, and try to replace healthy protein sources with unhealthy low-quality protein sources like soy and beans. A healthy diet is based on lots of vegetables and high-quality protein sources (fish, eggs, meat). If you shop wisely, you can find cheap healthy vegetables- see the freezer section, and look for the cheap dark-green leafy veg like kale and collard greens. Buy meat in large, less-popular cuts like "chuck", "shoulder", "neck", and "shank", and whole birds. Canned fish is another option.

She knows how to eat healthy, but healthy food does cost more than the other stuff. And when the couch has been turned over a couple times before the 1st day of the month is over, you can pick one of two choices: Eat cheap stuff that fills you or go hungry. The latter is even unhealthier.

One does not have to gnaw on celery stalks all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    I'm with you, but it is in fact the up front costs isn't it? If you have a limited budget you have a limited budget. Like I said; it's not permanent. It's not ideal, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things -that the calculations in my head were accurate in that a boxed lasagna is cheaper than home made lasagna -quality and health aside.

Paula
    No, it's not in your head. Making lasagna is expensive. Mine rocks and is infinitely better than Stouffer's but it costs a freaking fortune to make. I'd just shelve the lasagna idea until you're a little more flush.

I'd still rather do homemade. In fact, as a way to make it cheaper also, make your own sauce. it's pretty easy, part of an onion and some garlic, salt, pepper, a few other herbs and go with a big can of crushed tomatoes and your meat and simmer it for a while. Yummy and way cheaper.

Also, think stir fries. Veggies are dirt cheap, and so it rice, and you can easily make a big portion on the cheap. Sometimes I'll throw in chicken as well, but often not
    You know, if you took this jello, put it in a mold and froze it, you could be like look....an emerald. Dude, I'd kick some guys ass he ever tried to give me a jello ring.

Man, and my lasagna rocks -at least 2 types of meat, 3 types of cheese...

Paula

Quote Originally Posted by Atypical View Post
    I'd still rather do homemade. In fact, as a way to make it cheaper also, make your own sauce. it's pretty easy, part of an onion and some garlic, salt, pepper, a few other herbs and go with a big can of crushed tomatoes and your meat and simmer it for a while. Yummy and way cheaper.

LOL, but no.
    sauce is also something you can't make cheaper at home.
    Unless you spend all summer gardening and putting up tomatoes.

Lasagna is never on my shopping list when Im counting pennies. Our local Publix will often have BOGO on spaghetti sauce, and pasta of some sort, spaghetti, Penne. So for $2.50 (2 bottles of spaghetti sauce) and $1.29 (2 boxes of pasta), I can eat cheap. If money is no object, Ill make a faux-lasagna, since I dont like lasagna noodles, Ill wait til the pasta of some sort is BOGO and use them for the layers; works just as well. A large cottage cheese is $1.99 and 2 bags of mozzerella is $4.00. Lean hamburger is about $4.00 a pound. Lasagna freezes wonderfully, so Ill cut into portions, wrap in foil and freeze.

Umm, a big can of crushed tomatoes for your own faux sauce??? Yeah, not that pricey
    You know, if you took this jello, put it in a mold and froze it, you could be like look....an emerald. Dude, I'd kick some guys ass he ever tried to give me a jello ring.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Man, and my lasagna rocks -at least 2 types of meat, 3 types of cheese...

Paula
    That's how I make mine. Ground beef and Italian sausage. Mozzarella, ricotta (no cottage cheese), provolone, and Parmesan cheese. The sauce is semi-homemade in that I don't start with fresh tomatoes but it does start with canned crushed tomatoes. Lasagna making is a two day process for me. One day for the sauce and one day to put it all together.

It's a major project and really is expensive. That's probably why I only make it once or twice a year.

But good golly is it yummy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Atypical View Post
    Umm, a big can of crushed tomatoes for your own faux sauce??? Yeah, not that pricey
    not much cheaper than the sauce. Then you add stuff....