The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flaky Sellers (vent)

We all hear about flaky buyers sending out emails, not reading the ads carefully and asking already answered questions, or just disappearing and then replying way too late.

If you're selling your horse and talking to a very serious potential buyer with a vet check, and have told that buyer you want to sell to them, you might not want to be updating your ad twice a week for new information, changing the asking price, or even raising the asking price during this time.

Recently one of the girls at my barn was looking into buying a horse. She'd been in contact with the seller for months and even made an unofficial offer which the seller seemed okay with (this is in email form). We were all excitedly planning for her to visit the horse and sign the papers that day, and the vet check went smoothly (still waiting on radiographs).

If you look through the conversation with her and the seller it's very clear that they are organizing a sale and every sentence points to "a sale between us is going to take place". But then today when she was showing her sister (visiting for the holidays) the ad online the price had just recently (as in, a day after the vet check) gone through a 10% increase.

Maybe I haven't been doing this long enough but it just seems like this is really unprofessional and flaky behavior on the sellers part. The last time someone at our barn was buying a horse, when things got serious and a vet check was going on, the seller changed the ad to "sale pending". They weren't online, adding info and changing the price every other week.

I'm going through something similar right now. The seller "forgot" about the vet check I had scheduled. Figures. We talked it out over a phone call and it seems like things are going as planned, but still. Where is the professionalism?

If she's been in contact with the seller for *months*, maybe they don't think she's serious and are covering themselves by actively advertising the horse incase the sale falls through. If they expect your friend to pay the 10% increase that's a bit sketchy. But if they take the price already discussed and the updated ad/price is just incase the sale falls through, I see no problem with that.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    If she's been in contact with the seller for *months*, maybe they don't think she's serious and are covering themselves by actively advertising the horse incase the sale falls through. If they expect your friend to pay the 10% increase that's a bit sketchy. But if they take the price already discussed and the updated ad/price is just incase the sale falls through, I see no problem with that.
    I think (don't take my word on it) it's been since late October/early November. If I recall correctly the reason it's been so long is neither the seller nor the other girl wanted the horse to be a "christmas horse" so no sales until after Christmas. I think that may be why it's taken as long as it has. But that explanation does make sense. Hopefully they're not expecting her to pay the increase and her offer with them is still good. If it isn't, I'm telling her cut her losses and walk away.

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, back when I bought and sold quite a few horses, when someone accepts an offer of X on the horse, that is what they are going to pay. Once it's accepted, I would consider it bad form to raise the price. If the girl hadn't formally accepted the price, in writing or maybe a non-refundable deposit, then the price can change. The sellers will have more feed/hay, shoeing, maybe a vet out, more training, etc. and they need to cover that. If the girl had accepted and had the money on the way, then that's the price.

So, maybe the sellers didn't see her as a done deal??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Well, back when I bought and sold quite a few horses, when someone accepts an offer of X on the horse, that is what they are going to pay. Once it's accepted, I would consider it bad form to raise the price. If the girl hadn't formally accepted the price, in writing or maybe a non-refundable deposit, then the price can change. The sellers will have more feed/hay, shoeing, maybe a vet out, more training, etc. and they need to cover that. If the girl had accepted and had the money on the way, then that's the price.

So, maybe the sellers didn't see her as a done deal??
    Possibly, but the price was agreed on only a week before Christmas.

My main frustration that I didn't want to go too far into is the current seller I'm looking into. They "forget" the vet appointment and then give the vet their stable manager/hand's number to schedule the appointment over the holiday. The vet hasn't been able to get in touch with anyone over the past week.

Frustrating because I've had a trainer out to see her and that went over fine. I don't get why all of the sudden there are problems unless the seller is stalling for another buyer. I try not to talk about these things online much. I'm just impatient, I've been trying to set this thing up for 3 weeks now.

It's a buyer's market. This must be some special horse to put up with anyone's BS.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    It's a buyer's market. This must be some special horse to put up with anyone's BS.
    Believe me, I wouldn't put up with it in any normal circumstances. The horse so far is almost perfect for me and is very convenient for me to visit/get to since I have family and other horse people I know in that region. I've seen and even ridden dozens of horses but none have come close to being this much of a match for me.

But I'm not so attached that I'm willing to let a seller force me to jump through hoops to give them my money. If it gets to that point I'll just take my money elsewhere. The weird thing is that so far they'd been nothing but accommodating, then the vet check starts being scheduled and they get flakey. They were responding to emails within 48 hours consistently, same with phone calls, then all of the sudden it becomes impossible to get hold of them. I'm hoping it's just the holidays throwing things out of whack.

It could be the holidays, it could be that once things got really serious with the vet check they started thinking maybe they really want to keep the horse after all but don't want to back out. It might even be subconscious. Are they a trainer selling or a professional horse-selling person? (what's the right word for that? horse trader sounds shady) Or are they a private person selling their horse they've had a while?
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Just because the price in the ad went up does not mean the price to your friend has changed.

Up until the time somebody actually puts down money I would still treat the horse as for sale. How many times have we read where somebody has agreed to buy a horse and then disappears from the face of the earth? I agree that it was unprofessional to forget the PPE, yet as you have stated this has been carrying on for an extended time with no deposit made. I would not be to certain in the buyer who scheduled the PPE without a contract and deposit. There is blame on both sides here, not just the seller's.
    I support equine meat processing as an option for those who choose to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    It could be the holidays, it could be that once things got really serious with the vet check they started thinking maybe they really want to keep the horse after all but don't want to back out. It might even be subconscious. Are they a trainer selling or a professional horse-selling person? (what's the right word for that? horse trader sounds shady) Or are they a private person selling their horse they've had a while?
    It's a breeder. It could even be that their BM is unprofessional and should be fired . If I wasn't so paranoid I would totally put down a deposit myself and see how the seller reacts to me requesting to put one down. I want to see clean x-rays though.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderhorseguy View Post
    Just because the price in the ad went up does not mean the price to your friend has changed.

Up until the time somebody actually puts down money I would still treat the horse as for sale. How many times have we read where somebody has agreed to buy a horse and then disappears from the face of the earth? I agree that it was unprofessional to forget the PPE, yet as you have stated this has been carrying on for an extended time with no deposit made. I would not be to certain in the buyer who scheduled the PPE without a contract and deposit. There is blame on both sides here, not just the seller's.
    I believe she asked the seller about a purchase contract and a deposit and the seller never responded. She should have brought it up on the phone rather than email because maybe the seller intended to respond to that and forgot. The head trainer's been advising her on that, though, she's just a student of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
    the weird thing is that so far they'd been nothing but accommodating, then the vet check starts being scheduled and they get flakey.
    Is that not a giant red flag to you? It would be to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
    Believe me, I wouldn't put up with it in any normal circumstances. The horse so far is almost perfect for me and is very convenient for me to visit/get to since I have family and other horse people I know in that region. I've seen and even ridden dozens of horses but none have come close to being this much of a match for me.
    I'm confused. Is this horse for you or your friend?

I had that price change thing happen to me- he was originally listed as a free horse, but once I started looking at him, he suddenly became a $500 donation horse. I asked the selling party about it, and she stated that was her way of putting him "on hold" for me. Since he was a rescue horse, I was encouraged to donate, but he was still technically free. It was a little weird, but it worked out!

the drama has gotten me lost; have you or the buyer not heard of a contingency contract?

Until the deal is done, the price can change at will

Quote Originally Posted by Halt Near X View Post
    I noticed that too.

Quote Originally Posted by analise View Post
    horse trader sounds shady)
    Not all of us (former) horse traders are/were shady. Matter of fact, I used to catch flak from other traders because I did my best to be honest, it was taking away their business!! I just couldn't see fit to call myself a blood-stock agent where I lived!!

As for the rest of it, this is how I see it, if you have a horse up for sale, holidays or not, show/sell the horse. I can see taking Christmas and New Years off and saying so in the ad. If they don't want to show the horse over the holidays, pull down the ad and wait till everyone is in synch after the 1st. The fact they can't seem to set it up with a vet is a major red flag to me. Either they are stalling, hoping another deal comes through, or, they really don't want a vet to look at the horse and find a/the problem.

Another day or so of this, I think I'd find another horse on which to drape my bridle. Too much trouble and there are many horses out there.

There are two horses I was talking about. One horse, that a student of mine is looking at, had the owner suddenly change the price and not be as responsive.

The horse I was looking at for myself had everything going smoothly until the vet check. Under normal circumstances it'd be a huge red flag for me, but given that it's the holidays and the vet check was very close to Christmas I'm willing to let it slide. If a vet check goes through once the holidays are over, great, if they keep being flaky about it I'm moving on.

Apologies, I thought the person had been responding to me talking about the flaky vet situation since that had been what my last post ended with. In that last post I kind of haphazardly tried to explain that I'm mainly frustrated with the seller I'm dealing with, but I didn't want to go into it too much on here. People were asking a lot about my student's horse and that's not really the main thing that's irritating me, it's just a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by erniewalker View Post
    I had that price change thing happen to me- he was originally listed as a free horse, but once I started looking at him, he suddenly became a $500 donation horse. I asked the selling party about it, and she stated that was her way of putting him "on hold" for me. Since he was a rescue horse, I was encouraged to donate, but he was still technically free. It was a little weird, but it worked out!
    That's an odd way of doing things... wonder what would have happened if someone offered her the money.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Not all of us (former) horse traders are/were shady. Matter of fact, I used to catch flak from other traders because I did my best to be honest, it was taking away their business!! I just couldn't see fit to call myself a blood-stock agent where I lived!!

As for the rest of it, this is how I see it, if you have a horse up for sale, holidays or not, show/sell the horse. I can see taking Christmas and New Years off and saying so in the ad. If they don't want to show the horse over the holidays, pull down the ad and wait till everyone is in synch after the 1st. The fact they can't seem to set it up with a vet is a major red flag to me. Either they are stalling, hoping another deal comes through, or, they really don't want a vet to look at the horse and find a/the problem.

Another day or so of this, I think I'd find another horse on which to drape my bridle. Too much trouble and there are many horses out there.
    I agree with this. I've been continuously browsing the horse classifieds throughout the holidays to line up other horses to see, just in case. I want to give the seller the benefit of the doubt here because of what she says is going on (won't go into that), but you can only stall a veterinary exam so many times. I'm giving it until Friday to be at the very least scheduled.

There are two horses. One the girl at the barn is wanting to buy, and one the OP is looking to buy.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I would wonder if the thought of a pre-purchase has them nervous, and if so, why?
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Heh, not to long ago, several hours, someone on one of my FB pages was trying his/her best (it's a male/female name) to buy a $300 (OBO) horse to give a good home. Can't get the seller to respond after she initially did on the FB page. A bunch of "I'll get back to you" and "I have to go to work" and "I'll check my email" things. The buyer finally said forget it, he/she'd look elsewhere as there are so many other nice horses people have to sell.

So, it's not just $$ horses with PPE's and vets and whatever else, it's in all price brackets.