The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is Anybody Worried About the New Year?

Please don't turn this into a Democrats vs. Republicans or a "whose fault this is" debate...there are already a few of those threads going.

Is anybody genuinely worried what new taxes, Obamacare, the fiscal cliff, the envitable rise of gas once again, rise in food costs, etc. is going to do to them on a personal financial level?

I am really worried 2013 might be the year that does me in financially. It seems like the stars are aligning that this may be a very bad year for me money-wise. I am worried sick for my animals. I want to always be able to care for them and the thought I may no longer be able to scares me.

How are you coping? How do you not worry, and just keep trying, moving forward, and continuing to live your life?
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

You just keep plugging along the best you can. That's what I do. I work two jobs, my body aches like heck, the house is falling apart ... you just keep on going.

Try and cut back where you can. Try and pay cash for stuff, no more CC's for me.

I am praying that something changes for the good. I almost get ahead and then something happens and puts me two steps back.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post
    You just keep plugging along the best you can. That's what I do. I work two jobs, my body aches like heck, the house is falling apart ... you just keep on going.

Try and cut back where you can. Try and pay cash for stuff, no more CC's for me.

I am praying that something changes for the good. I almost get ahead and then something happens and puts me two steps back.

What she said. :-)

Worried as an over-arching feeling? Yes. Worried personally? No.

The only area of our lives that have the risk of being truly worrisome is myself finding a job. DH will still be in school, but I graduate in May. I'm already applying and talking to employers, but I know I'll find a position somewhere, even if that means just working the three part time jobs I have now (which make us pretty good money as it is).

DH and I have an emergency fund for ourselves, a car emergency fund, and a horse emergency fund. We live on a pretty tight budget, but don't want for anything. We've found that the best way to stamp our worry is to be prepared. If finances are a big worry for you, may I suggest picking up the book The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey (or any of his books really)? Ramsey's teachings have been instrumental in our financial success, and while we still have plenty of student loans, we're in a better financial position than many established older adults in our lives. It's amazing (and calming) to see what a plan can do.
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

I'm right there with ya. Last November I decided to quit my decent-paying but mental-health-destroying job. I was ready to do a free-fall, but did pick up a poorly paying but rewarding part time job. I gave 6 weeks notice at the old job and my last day is this coming Thursday. My budget is okay except for that wild card of "big unexpected vet bills". Sure enough, main dog becomes very sick....somehow I will make it, but life is scary right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post

I work two jobs myself and sometimes I still feel just barely above water. I'm still getting by thankfully, but I'm not in wonderful shape financially by any means. It's really hard to keep a positive attitude when all you hear about is increases in your life expenses and doom and gloom.

I will keep mine crossed for you as well! Take care
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05