The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you think I can sell this saddle?

I'm trying to leave as much out about location and stuff as I can. This saddle IS NOT currently for sale, I'm not sure if I want to sell it, so hopefully mods don't take this as advertising.

Saddle in question is a Bates Elevation DS + [edit] Now, normally I would think I would have no problems selling this saddle as it is a popular brand, in great condition, and Bates most expensive "top" Elevation model.

...however, the saddle is black.
    As an eventer, I thought having a black saddle would be GREAT! And it was, until my saddle fitter told me the saddle would never give my horse's gigantic shoulder enough room. So now I'm staring at this saddle, wondering who would want a black cc saddle besides me. I need to sell this saddle in order to afford a new one that fits my chubby, round, big shouldered mess of a horse (said in a loving way of course). Bareback has its pros, but he gets a little excited when hacking out, and I'd hate to pop off when he throws a few bucks.

So do I have a chance at selling it? I haven't really thought about asking price yet, but it would be priced to sell, whatever that price may be. FWIW, its a nice looking saddle...

I'm willing to consign, trade, sell on craigslist, but I want to stay away from Ebay.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jan. 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: specifics

Sure. Why not? Some folks prefer black. You'll find someone who likes black or you'll end up reducing the price until you attract other buyers.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I imagine plenty of other eventers might be just fine with black tack. Why not advertise it on eventing related sites and see?
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Yes! I was thrilled to find a saddle that a) fit several horses well and b) fit me great. It took a while to find that one great saddle for my situation. The only way I could afford a saddle was it was used on consignment. It happened to be black and I decided to be thrilled by that too. Easy enough to find black bridle and very dark breastplate. When someone is in the saddle, it's really not glaringly black. Maybe only discriminating buyers will care, but they can go shop elsewhere! Good luck.
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Dec. 31, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

I had a black Germania event saddle on consignment, I think it was gone within two months. We're not the only black-jump-saddle nutters out there.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

I like 'em black. My bridles are black, like the dressage saddles. However, I am not as picky as some so the fit --- and price! --- are always more important to me.

1 members found this post helpful.

We sought and bought (hey, it rhymes!!) a black saddle for my daughter to compete in for eventing. Love it on our grey horse.

She's also used it whenever she goes to the occasional hunter schooling shows. No problems there either.

We've seen a well known eventer trainer compete in some of the local shows in a black wintec saddle and she pretty much cleans up every time.

That's why I love eventing...a good saddle is a good saddle regardless of the color.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

There's a few of us out there. I compete in jumping & eventing and I recently bought a new CWD in black. I realize the resale will be a bit lower but I love it.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

I got a stunning deal on a black Stubben Siegfried from Middleburg Tack, all because of the color. It's nearly new. The reason they gave me for the low price and stellar condition of the saddle is that field hunter folk prefer traditional brown, and there just wasn't a big market for black tack. Yay for me!

You'll find someone who will want it. Trust me. Put a reasonable price on it and advertise, and you'll sell it. There are enough of us rugged individualists out there that don't give a rat's patoot about the color of the tack, so long as it's quality. But I happen to prefer black.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Ok great! Thanks everyone, that gives me hope.

I may end up putting it at a well known saddle shop near me, to see if it sells there, if not I'll just do it myself. It really is a lovely saddle, makes me sad to sell, but the shape is just wrong for my horse.

I have nothing but black tack. (My horse is black and I think it just looks better.) I personally will ALWAYS buy black because I like it better. I have a Prestige Eventer that's black. Someone will have to pry that saddle from my cold dead hands. Actaully, I really like Bates too, just the one I tried was brown and too small for my boy.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis