The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Flash I so understand where you are coming from. I have 3 JRT's here and have done fostering work with the local rescue. These are prey activated dogs that have a hard time controlling their prey drive with young kids running around. These are the reasons that JRT's are rarely placed in a family with young children. Of course there are always exceptions, but generally these dogs are best with an older family. You should be proud you have done as well as you have with this young dog and I applaud you for putting her happiness high on your list of priorities...of course the safety of your children come first...as it shouold be. I hope you are able to find a savy home for her. JRT are not for everyone, but for those of us who are smitten...there is no other dog!

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys. I adore the pup and someday would love to have another JRT. Paulosey, that is very much the issue we are having regarding her prey drive. That, and the fact that she is very attached to me and will not let ANYONE near me. And she can be quite aggressive about it.

Well the good news is she has found an awesome new home, with a friend of a friend who lives a half hour away. She has a farm, is a vet tech, and is used to high energy, working dogs. I will be very sad to see her go (we are keeping her until her new "mom" is back from vaca in a week) but I know it will be the best thing for the dog.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and support, it was immensely helpful.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.