The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DIY Dutch Door plans

I ran across this on a home improvement blog, but I think the design is the same for stall doors...

http://www.remodelaholic.com/2012/09...tch-barn-door/

Does that look like it would work?

ISTR there was a post with detailed instructions, probably one of Tom King's, that got lost during an upgrade.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Yep, that's pretty much how we did ours, though we put the cross pieces on after the rest was built. If I had to do any again, I love the idea of doing them after the frame is built but before all the vertical pieces are in, like in the link

Those plans look like they could work. Except that for a barn/stall door you would want the taller one on bottom. We just made some and the bottom doors ar 48"x48" while the top doors are 40"x48". We made ours a little different than the link. We did a solid piece of 3/4" marine plywood on the back/inside of the doors and then made a frame and x out of 2x4's on the front/outside. They turned out quite nice and were very simple to make. If I ever make more I think the only thing I'd change is to use 2x6's instead of 2x4's. But the ones we made are solid, substanial doors and should last for years to come. I made the plan for them after looking at the dutch doors at our boarding facility. Their doors are nearly idential to ours and have held up very well over years of abuse.

We actually used 2x6 T&G for the vertical pieces, then regular 2x6 for the frame, then 2x4 for the Xs. They ARE heavy, probably overkill, but yeah, they'll last LOL

I think those who are responding should go take pictures and come back and post them!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    We actually used 2x6 T&G for the vertical pieces, then regular 2x6 for the frame, then 2x4 for the Xs. They ARE heavy, probably overkill, but yeah, they'll last LOL
    Thats what we did except we used a piece of t1-11 as a backing for the T&G and put the frame/cross hatch on that.

DH fussed and said they were too heavy because they were a b***h to hang but once they were up they have held up great and when he saw one take a full on kick and not budge, he stopped complaining.

Yep, the biggest challenge I faced was convincing DH that these structures need to be really, really solid. He's not a horse person, and thankfully hasn't seen the damage that horses can do kicking through thin plywood or ill-built doors But because he hasn't seen that, he just can't comprehend what they can do so very easily