The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New car decision, help me make it!

So, I need a new car and am trying to decide between a sedan that gets great MPG or a Tahoe... I currently have a Tahoe but it's on it's last legs.... Both will have decent resale value, given where I can buy them (FYI my in laws are dealers). One side is leaning towards the mileage although I don't drive that much (10k a year or less) but then I think about putting feed... In it.... And I've never had a car before so worry I won't like driving one.... DH has a car that gets decent mileage and we typically drive it around town. Oh and the price difference will be about 8K between the two. We have the $$ to buy either in cash.

So sedan people tell me if you like them or not and if you've had a larger car in the past.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I can't stand Sedans. Not a big fan of Tahoes either. Because of the their size and handling. If you can get a Tahoe that is pimped out like a Sedan, then you get the best of both worlds if that's what you like.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I am not an suv fan. Lots of extra, bad mpg, big.

We bought my husband a prius in 09. Our prius has 65k plus on it now. Great car. CHEAP to keep. Great mpg too. It has 4 doors, hatchback to load stuff in(love that), fold down seats, gets in every parking place, easy to drive, easy to get in and out. We have done nothing to it but oil changes and gas, oh and a set of tires. Tires we got the low resistant ones, so the mileage is good. Sell those tires at costco. The car does have some get up and go.

You could spend the same amount on another car but ya won't get the high gas mileage.

No we are not tree huggers, just LOVE a car with high mpg. We always have one car we put the miles on due to the great mpg. We had civics for years, but now are doing the toyota.

The car gets 49-53mpg. It is a neat car, GREAT mileage, comfy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Do u like your Tahoe now? If so maybe fix it up (it has value) buy the sedan & have both since sedan less$. Or by another Tahoe if you need big SUV drive DH car when you dont. I have a sedan now, its meh but doesnt haul much. Gets better gas milage than truck that I really want so I drive it.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

It totally depends on the sedan.

Are you stuck with GM, since you're buying through relative dealers?

I am considering a Tahoe myself, for family trips as I may downsize from my F250 crew cab (I don't haul very much and sold my trailer). But I will still have my daily driver.

All sedans are not created equal.

Does it have to be either/or? What about a smaller suv or crossover? Perhaps a Trailblazer or Jeep of some sort? Subaru?
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Depending on what, how much, and how often you'll be hauling, how about a utility trailer? Last time I looked, Tractor Supply had a good selection that may give you some ideas.

Way back when, I had one I pulled behind my 4-cylinder Datsun King Cab. It would handle several sacks of feed or a few bales of hay with no problems as long as I wasn't on the interstate.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Is it worth $140 a month to drive the SUV that averages 15MPG vs a car that does 45MPG.... that would be the difference assuming gas at $4/gal driving 10,000 miles a year

I'll expand on my "all sedans are not created equal":

There are sporty sedans, and sedans that drive like land yachts. Then there's a whole spectrum in between.

What you decide to buy, given that it sounds as if money isn't too much of a concern, boils down to about three things:

a) Utility/practicality - what do you need to use it for? How much space/power is needed?

b) What type of driving experience do you prefer?

c) Is gas mileage something you're concerned about?

What about a small cross-over or wagon?

Personally, I have my utility vehicle (my truck) and my daily (a sporty car). I like driving both for different reasons! Although I appreciate a car with good mpg, you will never find me driving a Prius. Just. Can't. Do it. I'm too much of a car nut
    Last edited by ser42; Dec. 31, 2012 at 02:17 PM.

We have the prius. We also have a bmw 330i. And a truck, 4 door, 4x4. Duramax.

Bet cha, you drive the prius you will like it alot, ser42.

My bmw gets 32 city. Got 82k on it. Drives perfect.

Prius is GREAT for city driving. Stop go stop go. Engine turns off when ya stop. No useage of gas ($$). It can drive up to (I think ) 20-25 mph on the battery.

I drove the 2013 bmw their version of the hybrid. Engine will turn off when you stop. I was not impressed. Toyota has it down pat on that.

The pri has a tiny turning circle, perfect for going "up" the "down" parking lanes, or rather if you saw a parking spot on the wrong side you can just turn into it. Great for parallel parking, getting into/out of tight spots. Ours has a backup camera, LOVE the hatchback, seats fold down. It has a mpg graph so you see at all times what your mileage is and has been since you started it up. You can put lots of stuff in that car. WE have the windows darkened and I love the privacy of it.

I wouldn't want to auto-cross in it. I would/have in the bmw though.

Don't knock it until you try it. It is very inexpensive to drive and maintain. VERY.

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    We have the prius. We also have a bmw 330i. And a truck, 4 door, 4x4. Duramax.

Bet cha, you drive the prius you will like it alot, ser42.

My bmw gets 32 city. Got 82k on it. Drives perfect.

Prius is GREAT for city driving. Stop go stop go. Engine turns off when ya stop. No useage of gas ($$). It can drive up to (I think ) 20-25 mph on the battery.

I drove the 2013 bmw their version of the hybrid. Engine will turn off when you stop. I was not impressed. Toyota has it down pat on that.

The pri has a tiny turning circle, perfect for going "up" the "down" parking lanes, or rather if you saw a parking spot on the wrong side you can just turn into it. Great for parallel parking, getting into/out of tight spots. Ours has a backup camera, LOVE the hatchback, seats fold down. It has a mpg graph so you see at all times what your mileage is and has been since you started it up. You can put lots of stuff in that car. WE have the windows darkened and I love the privacy of it.

I wouldn't want to auto-cross in it. I would/have in the bmw though.

Don't knock it until you try it. It is very inexpensive to drive and maintain. VERY.
    I actually don't have anything against the Prius- think it's a great car for its purpose.

But I really need a sporty car with hp and torque to make me feel all warm and fuzzy

I understand.

I love my bmw 330i. I have also had a porsche boxster. Traded the boxster for the prius, yes really. I would have liked alot way more power on the boxster No troubles with it. Loved the front and back trunks. The 330i is really a very comfy car, and fast. No floaty boat there.

I like hot(ter) horses(not stupid ones), and the dead head ones just bore me to tears. But the prius, it is so cute and very practical, does have some get up and go. I LOVE the gas mileage, and reliability.

We have a fast and "slower" car. Both have good amounts of space to put stuff. Then we have a truck to do all the other stuff.
    Last edited by rmh_rider; Dec. 31, 2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: more info

I love my small SUV. Mine is a Hyundai Tucson, but I drove many of them when I was car shopping and they were all nice. Good gas mileage and you can get lots of stuff in them.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I'm smitten with my Subaru.
    I have an 05 Subaru outback legacy edition sedan.

It is a cute sporty car and it actually sits a little higher than a car so I can get up my steep driveway in 8-10 inches of snow without a problem.

Ours is a 6 cylinder with a 3.0 engine...has a lot of get up and go. More than I need. That's the only thing I would change. I think my mpg would be a little better with a smaller engine.

I also have the tiptronic transmission which is great for bad weather and just every day driving.

It's quite roomy too. Huge truck and because it sits off the ground it doesn't drive like a clown car. DH is 6'4 and he can fold himself in the back seat no problem.

We have 140k miles on ours. Nothing but routine maintenance.

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I've got an 08 RAV4 that I lovelovelove. Almost 100k miles on it and not only have I put that car through the wringer (it's my first car), it's handled it all so very well and only needed routine maintenance. I can fit a ton of stuff in there and it averages about 25 mpg, which is pretty good for a little SUV AND it has a full-sized spare that is so easy to just pop on. If nothing else, Toyota makes really good cars.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

I have a Toyota Yaris that gets between 40 (winter) and 44 (summer) mpg. Since my commute to work is 30 miles each way, it was important to me to get something with good mileage. I have the sedan version and it hauls a few bags of grain or all my camping gear just fine.

I also have a Chev Silverado 4x4 as my towing vehicle. Gas mileage sucks, but I only put 3,000 miles a year on it and it's only used for hauling my horse trailer, getting hay or the occasional drive to work in snow that the car can't handle.

I guess your decision depends on what you need your vehicle to be able to do.