The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

That's a tough one! Thankfully I'm in charge of food procurement around here, which makes things a lot easier.

My DH could care less how much I weigh, too, but he's been very supportive because this is important to me. He doesn't really get why, but he respects my wishes. And he understands that eating vegetables is good for him, even though he doesn't have the kind of weight struggles that I do.

Having something you can concentrate on while he snacks would probably help, too. Like I mentioned before, for me it's knitting, but there are a bazillion and one things that you could do instead.

And I was a little over 200lbs when I reached my highest weight, and my end goal is about 150, so that's very similiar to me, too. It seems like a huge amount when you start, but I'm halfway through it, and it seems so much less daunting now.

You can do this!
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I have to head to work, so I'll finish reading the responses later, but my 2 cents:

Drink water. All day. I scuba dive, and for the next 3-4 days after diving I HAD to eat EVERYTHING in sight. I was starving all the time. I told this to a nutritionist friend who just laughed at me and said "you're not hungry, you're dehydrated." I didn't really believe him but started watching my water intake even more. Sure enough, the cravings went away!

I also eat when I'm bored or eat mindlessly, so I have a camelback water bottle. To drink, you squeeze the top between your teeth. I drink 3 times more water with that because it's something mindlessly for me to do while I'm bored or working on the computer.

I also agree with the poster who said get a nutritionist. At least for 2 months or so. They will hold you accountable. If it's 5pm the night before you're meeting with him, I promise you won't forget you're on a diet.

Everyone has given you great advice about starting small. I think of it as one habit a week. Double my water intake this week, no fast food next week, thoughtful breakfast the week after... It helps build little habits that actually stick.

Good luck!

ETA: If you do get a personal trainer like several people have suggested, they DO NOT replace a nutritionist. Their information almost always anecdotal, and tends to be based around what works for them, their friends, and maybe other clients. It's not what will work for you. I know other people might disagree with me, but I've seen personal trainers suggest some CRAZY "nutrition plans."
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Yup, I'm going to take back my advice about getting a nutritionist. I had missed the part about you being a diabetic. For you, it's important to not only take the weight off but to do it correctly for your medical condition. Talk to your doctor, he/she might know just the one.

And, a big yes to the water, too. That is vitally important both to keep from being hungry and for your health.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I feel your pain and frustration poster, I struggle with my weight too. I'm also a type 1 diabetic and trying to lose weight and eat right can be frustrating. I am a vegetarian so eating a Atkins like diet doesn't work for me. I don't have a sweet tooth so avoiding cakes, cookies, candy and such is easy. I don't drink soda only water or unsweetened ice tea. I rarely eat bread and if I do it's bread I make full of whole grains.

So, that pretty much leaves veggies (most of which I don't like but will eat because they are good for me) grains, legumes, fruit and dairy. I try to limit my grains, legumes and other starches (oats, rice corn, beans, potatoes, etc) due to the high carb factor but do eat them since a diet of just non starchy veggies and dairy has no appeal to me. Fruit is my treat and I stick to lower glycemic ones as much as possible (berries, cherries, apples).

I know for me, exercise is the key and something I just don't get enough of. 150 minutes of cardio a week is no where enough to make my scale move even with strict calorie control, I can maintain my weigh with that amount but not lose anything. I need 200 mins plus for weight loss and sometimes it's hard for me to get that much time in every week.

The constant need to exercise so much combined with the strict and limited diet ( have to stay under 1200 a day or I gain too) sometimes I just get tired of all the hard work with extremely little to show for it and I do fall off the wagon. However, ever the optimistic, I do keep trying.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you constantly are living and working out on low calorie 'diets' you will never lose weight.

It is completely unhealthy and backfires.

There is no such thing as a diet-there is only lifestyle change.

It is a choice to change today and every day...and it must be combined with an exercise program that is balanced with strength training, cardio and flexibility training.

6 members found this post helpful.

Fourbeats...your situation sound like mine although I do have animal protein.

Your last paragraph says it all. I do keep trying because I keep thinking there's just one bolt to tighten, a bolt I haven't round yet. I keep thinking this SHOULD BE easy. I'm not starving, I have access to the best quality food there is. If I could find that balance the perpetuates optimum health and nutrition, then I wouldn't have cravings.

LMH, you're exactly right...on paper. But when you add in variables like age, illness, fatigue, chronic pain, emotional stress, etc. it's gets harder to make the simple solution work. Not impossible...but harder. And at the end of a tired day or 8 hours of 'trots' it can seem impossible.

I know I'm just whining now. I messed up last night with crackers and chocolate. Fasting blood sugar over 300, too much insulin to bring that down and low by 9 a.m. The sins of last night have reached into today. And because of that, it would be HUGE for me to stay consistent with my eating.

Fourbeats...your situation sound like mine although I do have animal protein.

Your last paragraph says it all. I do keep trying because I keep thinking there's just one bolt to tighten, a bolt I haven't round yet. I keep thinking this SHOULD BE easy. I'm not starving, I have access to the best quality food there is. If I could find that balance the perpetuates optimum health and nutrition, then I wouldn't have cravings.

LMH, you're exactly right...on paper. But when you add in variables like age, illness, fatigue, chronic pain, emotional stress, etc. it's gets harder to make the simple solution work. Not impossible...but harder. And at the end of a tired day or 8 hours of 'trots' it can seem impossible.

I know I'm just whining now. I messed up last night with crackers and chocolate. Fasting blood sugar over 300, too much insulin to bring that down and low by 9 a.m. The sins of last night have reached into today. And because of that, it would be HUGE for me to stay consistent with my eating.

btw, I have lost the 40 pounds I put on after the by pass, stroke, nasty side effects of heart medications. It took two years of loose some, then losing focus for months, then losing some more, etc.

I think the worst thing about the American way of eating as a whole, is that we are so removed from eating just to fuel our bodies. It is for pleasure, for boredom, for companionship, for socializing. All the things our primitive system was never meant to be used for.
    I am far from on the total right track, but I try very hard to think what the particular thing is doing to my body. Granted the holiday was a bad set back.
    But that is over and I am trying to think of food as fuel.
    I have not drunk carbonated beverages in 20 years. NEver miss them.
    I try to stay away from all processed foods, At least the junk that comes in boxes that you mix with meat or water. If I am going to eat sweets I make them at home from scratch. Rare. No fast food at all, well The occasional subway but not often. Never touch artificial sweeteners at all, make my own salad dressing, No fake stuff like margarine.. heck it is one or two molecules away from plastic. >USe olive oil or Sunflower oil to cook.
    And I go to the gym. Lost 30 lbs doing that, I am not as religious as I was and it is showing. But that is going to change. I worked too hard.
    Try to think of food as fuel, A ferrari does not run on lighter fluid!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Definitely tired and therefore bored. If I have something exciting to do, I breeze right thru. But usually I'm too tired to be excited about anything. And BLEH...I never eat a processed "low fat" product. They are just disgusting and loaded with other bad stuff.

I've thought about weight watchers. There's a meeting walking distance from my house, at a church. I went to one meeting years ago and never went back. The leader talked about cleaning up after her kid's birthday party and then going and getting the trash bag out of the garage @ 3 a.m. She said she stood IN the bag and ate cake off the plates. Just never could identify with THAT. I couldn't help thinking "I am NOT you people." The ones who were nodding their heads in agreement that they had done that too. Ewwwww.......
    I tried WW after a friend lost a considerable amount of weight on it, and looked great. I liked the concept of being able to eat "normal" foods, eat out etc but managing portions. Like a lot of WW fans, my friend insisted that the meetings were the key to her success. That may be true for her, but I found the entire idea horrifying, so I don't do it.

Instead, I do the online version, no meetings required. It works great (when I stick to it, LOL!)

I suppose conceptually it's the same as some of the other plans mentioned on this thread - it's about logging your food and being mindful of what you are eating. I set mine up so I have to weigh in on Sunday mornings, which helps me stay on plan over the weekend, when we tend to go out to eat, or have social events etc.

Unfortunately I fell off the wagon this year (with the excuses of moving to a different state, commuting back & forth and a very demanding, rather stressful new job) and gained a lot of my previously-lost weight back. Now that things are more settled, I have committed to getting back on track and losing what I've gained. Luckily my DH is interested in joining me in this effort, which makes a world of difference. He's a seriously awesome cook and is prone to making delicious (but not necessarily low cal) foods on a regular basis. Combine that with a penchant for cocktails = I become the LucasBlimp.

I am actually looking forward to getting back to my WW plan, because I know it works and I know that by spring I will be feeling tons better about myself. Hoping to join all the other successful "losers" on this board again soon!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I know of so many that have had terrific results with a gastric sleeve. Yes, it is surgery, but it is less invasive then gastric bypass. Even if your insurance won't cover it, it may just the thing for you.

I have had about 25 unwanted pounds creep on over the past 5 years or so, and have committed to getting them off in 2013.

My basic rules, when I have been diligent about weight before, are: log everything I eat, limit alcohol, drink lots of water, and exercise 5 to 6 days a week.

It is hard for me because I cannot eat fruits and vegetables. I know, weird huh. I have something called Crohn's disease and for me, it has affected the middle intestine, creating very narrow spots. If I eat things that do not break down enough before hitting the narrow spots, I end up in the emergency room with massive pain and nausea. Worst case scenario (which happened to me right before I was diagnosed) is that you perforate your intestine because of a blockage.

So, I need to do this without salads (no stems and leaves as one poster put it), baby carrots, celery sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

I can eat some mushy vegetables, so if I cook the crap out of carrots, I can eat them. But then they lose all of their nutritional value. I can eat avocado, banana, apple sauce (because it is puréed), melon that is very ripe (not crunchy at all), canned pears and peaches in the natural juice or light syrup), strawberries.

Anyway, it adds a layer of complexity for me.

One thing I find helpful is good quality beef jerky. It takes forever to eat and has low fat and lots of protein. You have to make sure you get the good stuff though, because otherwise you get a lot of preservatives and nitrates.

Good luck to all of us who are trying to get back on track this year!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

1. Absolutely track and weight EVERY SINGLE ITEM that crosses your lips.

Daily Plate or MyFitnessPal and super and have huge food data bases.

Before I started eating clean I spent 1 week just tracking without making changes.

I. Was. Floored.

Those Bob's Sweet Stripes at the barn for the horses add up

2. Work out in the morning. If you simply can't imagine the idea of physical exercise at this moment then get up and walk. Anyone can walk some distance. You can wear any kind of clothes for now.

Just wake up tomorrow morning earlier than you normally do and walk...if only to your mailbox and back.

But set a time (maybe just 5 minutes!) and walk. Build up to walking an hour a day.

Once you reach that I guarantee you will have enough change to be interested in strength, etc

Of COURSE CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU RECEIVE!

3. I am a HUGE HUGE FAN of any program by BeachBody. You can workout in your home in a very small area and the programs WORK.

There are hundreds and thousands of success stories online of people with heart trouble, diabetes, severely obese and have success with Beachbody programs.

You will not be disappointed.

4. Instead of dieting and picking some Atkins, Paleo, Watermelon diet just eat real whole foods for now. This means all the lean meat, chicken and fish you care too.

All the veggies you can fit in your body

Careful with fruits but a pile of strawberries is better than a cake (especially diabetics-again doctor input needed).

No white foods-no bread, pasta, white rice, sugar. Period. No excuse.

If you MUST MUST MUST have sugar have dark chocolate at least 85% dark. It is bitter and eat one square...better though to just not have it in the house.

Your fat sources should be olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, etc.

5. Keep your home 'kosher'-in other words ONLY clean whole foods get inside the house.

6. one day a week let it rip. It actually resets your metabolism.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TarheelJD View Post
    I have had about 25 unwanted pounds creep on over the past 5 years or so, and have committed to getting them off in 2013.

My basic rules, when I have been diligent about weight before, are: log everything I eat, limit alcohol, drink lots of water, and exercise 5 to 6 days a week.

It is hard for me because I cannot eat fruits and vegetables. I know, weird huh. I have something called Crohn's disease and for me, it has affected the middle intestine, creating very narrow spots. If I eat things that do not break down enough before hitting the narrow spots, I end up in the emergency room with massive pain and nausea. Worst case scenario (which happened to me right before I was diagnosed) is that you perforate your intestine because of a blockage.

So, I need to do this without salads (no stems and leaves as one poster put it), baby carrots, celery sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

I can eat some mushy vegetables, so if I cook the crap out of carrots, I can eat them. But then they lose all of their nutritional value. I can eat avocado, banana, apple sauce (because it is puréed), melon that is very ripe (not crunchy at all), canned pears and peaches in the natural juice or light syrup), strawberries.

Anyway, it adds a layer of complexity for me.

One thing I find helpful is good quality beef jerky. It takes forever to eat and has low fat and lots of protein. You have to make sure you get the good stuff though, because otherwise you get a lot of preservatives and nitrates.

Good luck to all of us who are trying to get back on track this year!
    Have you thought about juicing? I definitely don't think it's some sort of cure-all or advocate for juice fasts or anything similar as some do, but given that it sounds like bulk and excess fiber are problems for you, it might be a good way to get some of the fruit and veggie nutrients (and flavor) without upsetting your GI tract.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I think the worst thing about the American way of eating as a whole, is that we are so removed from eating just to fuel our bodies. It is for pleasure, for boredom, for companionship, for socializing. All the things our primitive system was never meant to be used for.
    I am far from on the total right track, but I try very hard to think what the particular thing is doing to my body. Granted the holiday was a bad set back.
    But that is over and I am trying to think of food as fuel.
    I have not drunk carbonated beverages in 20 years. NEver miss them.
    I try to stay away from all processed foods, At least the junk that comes in boxes that you mix with meat or water. If I am going to eat sweets I make them at home from scratch. Rare. No fast food at all, well The occasional subway but not often. Never touch artificial sweeteners at all, make my own salad dressing, No fake stuff like margarine.. heck it is one or two molecules away from plastic. >USe olive oil or Sunflower oil to cook.
    And I go to the gym. Lost 30 lbs doing that, I am not as religious as I was and it is showing. But that is going to change. I worked too hard.
    Try to think of food as fuel, A ferrari does not run on lighter fluid!
    100% AGREE! about getting back to thinking of eating as merely fuel for our bodies. The American food culture has led us to believe that every single meal has to be some kind of gastronomic orgasm, which is absurd--just freakin' eat a meal that's nutritious, already! Like you feed your HORSE!

A point I wanted to make here since everyone's speaking of "The Gym" and personal trainers. I was a part of that culture, professionally even, for 10 years and now, in hindsight, I am 100% against it as a means to "health."

Reason One is that "forced" exercise feels really lousy because it is unnatural to our species, or frankly any other. Try and think of an animal that will put itself into a state of heavy panting and sweating and lactic acid buildup in the absence of a life-and-death threat and you can't! The endorphins people get "high" on if they go extreme enough are actually the body's anesthesia system kicking in to repair the DAMAGE you have just done. When you "work out" at the intensity the entire gym culture likes to foster (no pain, no gain, strain strain strain) your body is in a CONSTANT, never-ending cycle of damage, repair, recovery, DAMAGE. Your muscle fibers do not LIKE being "ripped," and running yourself to the edge of cardiovascular distress feels like sh#t, too. This is why so many people start these programs and don't get very far in spite of the best intentions.

I say this as one who swallowed the culture and overtrained for 8 years to the point where I caught every virus that came along, and lived in constant musculo-skeletal pain. Oh, BTW, until I dropped the carbs I never lost a single pound!

A further warning respecting "personal trainers." Their "certifications" are a joke, purchased via correspondence courses and worth the placemats they're printed on. This from an insider, folks! In many cases they're doing it because they can't get a job doing anything else. Do NOT trust them to know when "enough is enough"--I know 2 people personally who had to have their knees rebuilt after a PT told them to "go for the burn" one time too many with too much weight.

A FAR superior, SUSTAINABLE choice for anyone over college age? A hobby that takes you out in nature and makes you move. Walk your dog, ride your horse, grow a garden, do your barn work, walk around on the road and spy on your neighbors if it suits you. Heavy "fitness" training is NOT necessary for anyone but athletes, first responders and the military, and may do more harm than good.

Most doctors know this is the truth below the "fitness" industry's hype.

OH! If you use MyFitness pal, get buddies to friend you and keep each other accountable by looking at each others daily intake.

If you decide to try a BB fitness program, I know an AWESOME BeachBody coach-there is no charge and he rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

Reason One is that "forced" exercise feels really lousy because it is unnatural to our species, or frankly any other. Try and think of an animal that will put itself into a state of heavy panting and sweating and lactic acid buildup in the absence of a life-and-death threat and you can't!
    Well there's horses and dogs. They do that all of the time in play. Human children too for that matter.

For adults I do agree a milder form of exercise is often best. I do too much work to feel like running in circles in the yard at the end of the day!

I'm also trying to lose weight this year. I'm 25 and within the range of "normal" but I know that I could stand to lose 15 or 20 lbs.

My problem is that I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. Pretty much, literally, all the time. Except for the 30 minutes or so after a meal, I'm ravishing. I ate at around 2:00 and now it's 4:15, and I have been hungry for over an hour.

I know that sometimes I eat for comfort or boredom, but when I sit back and think about the past days, months, and years, I spend a lot of my time just being hungry. I've tried all kinds of things, and nothing seems to change it. I've tried packing on the protein. I'm a vegetarian (although I eat canned tuna) so it was tofu, eggs, tuna, cheese, greek yogurt, etc. I've tried doing lots of veggies alone, or with protein. Sometimes I do just go for the carbs, because they're easier, and I get full from them faster (though I'm still hungry within a short time). I drink water all day long. I have a camelback that holds about 25 oz and I fill it up 3 or 4 times per day. I started drinking green tea because I heard that it curbs appetite and speeds up metabolism. Nothing works.

Does anybody else experience this? I feel like I'm always around people who eat a banana for breakfast and then not need to eat again until mid afternoon. I eat a banana at 8 am and then I feel like I could eat an elephant at 9. I'm really tired of being hungry all the time.

I found this article quite interesting. It talks about why weight loss is hard to maintain, and the metabolic changes that occur during weight loss.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Suggested reading:

​Wheat Belly

I have that and have read it. I avoid all flour products. Although they will be the first to tempt me!